PDA

View Full Version : i have a webley 38 s&w....and i have needs!

mozeppa
07-20-2015, 09:30 PM
who makes a carbide die set for the 38 s&w.....and what shell plate to use on the dillon 650 and who makes a mold for it ?

p.s. the boolits are NOT .357" ........................ more like .361"

kfarm
07-20-2015, 10:03 PM
I got a set of Lee,s work fine.

jugulater
07-20-2015, 10:25 PM
the Webly is 38-200. you will probably need a boolit of .363 and will probably only shoot to the sights with a 200grn boolit.

i have a S&W Victory model in 38-200 and it requires a .363 boolit to shoot good. it also tends to buldge cases a good bit. im at the point of considering the .38 S&W and the .38-200 as two different rounds.

Bohica793
07-20-2015, 10:31 PM
http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-carbide-or-steel-3-die-sets/38-sw-3-die-set-carbide-

jrap
07-26-2015, 12:35 PM
If you need brass it seems that starline makes some. I saw it in stock at grafs http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/517?

Maven
07-27-2015, 11:16 AM
"who makes a mold for it?"

Mozeppa, Try Accurate or NOE moulds. Btw, I have a double cav. Cramer (pre-SAECO) WC mould which casts ~.361". I'd rather sell it here than on EBay. PM me about the mould if interested.

happy7
07-27-2015, 11:21 PM
NOE makes these molds and I recommend them. I ran the original group buy for two of them. The have the webley MKI and MKII designs, both 200 grain. I also sell the bullets if you want to go that route. (www.mattsbullets.com (http://www.mattsbullets.com)) If you are going to use .360+ bullets (most of my guns like .361 but they do vary) you will want to use makarov dies or else you will end up sizing your bullets in the reloading process

As far as a dillon shell plate for the 650, they don't make one. There is a guy on ebay that makes custom plates. He made one for me for 38 s&W and it works well. Dillon does make a 38 S&W plate they have designated "U" for the 550.

Ballistics in Scotland
07-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Some .357 bullets will work well in Webleys, if your dies will make the brass hold them (as .38S&W dies should, and the alloy is soft enough to expand. Unfortunately people have developedsome new-fangled device called a .357 Magnum, and some bullets you can purchase are too hard for this to work. I used tohave one of the last Webley MkIV .38s made, which was bought by the Metropolitan Police and put away for about three decades as an unwise purchase of the obsolete, before being sold off to a British gun dealer, boxed and in unfired condition. In the very limited shooting I did with it, it appeared happy with .357 wadcutters of 158gr., and shot well to point of impact.

I doubt if there is any reason to prefer the light bullet over heavy in any use to which one of these revolvers is likely to be put, and not much reason to prefer heavy over light. You should shoot your revolver before doing anything drastic or expensive. Some civilian revolvers were intended for the ordinary .38 S&W with a bullet of about 145gr., both before and after the .38/200 was heard of, and were often stamped “38/380”. The sighting on these is likely to be fine. Many revolvers stamped “38/200” were supplied with interchangeable front sight blades for the two bullet weights, changeable by driving out a small crosspin. This could be duplicated by anygood machinist if your Webley isn't in very collectible condition, although you might have to pay for a Woodruff cutter to be ground thinner.

There is no accounting for what might have been supplied to police forces, trials or foreign governments. But no .38 Webley bought for the British army was specifically intended to shoot the 200gr. lead bullet. Such purchases began only in 1940, possibly due to a mild rift between Webley and the government. They had Webley develop a new .38 revolver with variousimprovements, which they then pirated for production without royalties at Enfield, and Webley won damages in court. In 1937, due to fears of infringing the GenevaConvention, the government adopted a MkII cartridge with a jacketed bullet of 178gr. (thereby doing away with some of the stopping power of the original,which didn’t compare too badly with larger calibres.) I don’t know whether the front sight blade of the military Webley was altered for this. The lead bullet 200gr. load was issued and I think made in wartime emergency conditions, and I doubt if anybody noticed the difference.

Incidentally not much care needs to be taken about extra pressure with the 200gr. bullet. Webley actually used slightly heavier charges than they had with the lighter bullets, e.g. 4gr against 3.7 when cordite was used.

GrantA
08-07-2015, 11:09 AM
I have the tools to load some myself, for an older S&W victory revolver. The throats measure .364 on this one so I bought a set of Hornady 9mm makarov dies to try. I just need to fire up the casting pot- I'm planning to try one of my 358 molds with powdercoat to increase thickness. As long as the mold drops a little fat it should work nicely