PDA

View Full Version : Holsters

redneckdan
10-08-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm looking for a concealed carry holster for IDPA competion. I'm using a full size 1911 in .45 acp. I've heard the IWB holsters are all the rage nowadays but I don't think this system will work for me. I'm 6'3" 160lbs, my girlfriend describes me as "painfully skinny". I get bruises on my hips from my belt, no fat to pad there, what will having a gun there do to me? Any other options? My usual dress is jeans and a t-shirt with a heavy flannel or jean jacket.

Bret4207
10-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Lasagna. Lots and lots of lasagna. With bread and beer.

BD
10-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I use an Uncle Mikes kydex belt holster for competition. This setup used to be OK for sanctioned IDPA, but those guys are always ******* around with the rules, who knows what they've come up with. As far as real carry goes, IMHO you can't beat the Milt Sparks Versa-max II for totin' a 1911. The broader backing piece and two belt loops make all the difference. The real secret to either of these setups is to wear a good stiff belt. A good belt is probably more important to your confort than the particular holster.
BD

Shepherd2
10-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Unless Uncle Mike's has changed the design of their Kydex holster in the last few months they aren't sanctioned for IDPA competition. They extend out too far from the belt. I threw mine in the holster box and ordered a Blade-Tech injection molded Kydex holster. Not as nice as the hand made Blade-Techs but still a good holster and about the same price as an Uncle Mike's.

I agree on the importance of a good stiff belt. My belt cost twice what my holster cost.

I've seen very few people shoot IDPA with an IWB holster. I've seen a lot show up for a match with their carry gun in an IWB and switch to a regular holster for the match.