PDA

View Full Version : No good reason for CCW on campus...

Old Ironsights
03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 2:17 PM
To: pr@andrews.edu
Subject: Students: Cougar sighting

Cougar sighting

According to a recent article in the Herald Palladium, an animal believed to be a cougar has been spotted in the Berrien Springs area, including near the St. Joseph River on the Andrews University campus. Mountain lion sightings and encounters have increased throughout southwest Michigan over the past several years. Although lion attacks are rare, they are possible, as is injury from any wild animal. We offer the following recommendations to increase your safety:

-Avoid walking or biking alone, particularly in remote areas of campus. ('cause we all know that humans are pack animals...)

-Never approach a mountain lion. Most mountain lions will try to avoid confrontation. That's why they are on the campus of a bunch of Leaf Eating Vergitarians...

-Always give them a way to escape. Don't run. Stay calm.

-Hold your ground or back away slowly. Face the lion and stand upright.

-Do all you can to appear larger. Grab a stick. Raise your arms.

-If you have small children with you, pick them up.
(Yummy! A twofer... and it slows you down! )

-If the lion behaves aggressively, wave your arms, shout and throw objects at it.
(Play with me! I'm a Mouse! :twisted:)

-If attacked, fight back! (Um... with what? "Weapons" are "Prohibited"... :roll:) )

The goal is to convince the animal you are not prey and may be dangerous yourself (oh yeah. them college girls got vicious claws...) .

Generally, mountain lions are calm, quiet and elusive. (Especially the ones wandering around a college campus... :roll: )

The chance of being attacked by a mountain lion is quite low compared to may other natural hazards. (like getting raped, robbed or shot in class by an evil psychopath...)

There is, for example, a far greater risk of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a mountain lion. (For now... until the population increases because liberal weenies keep feeding them their puppies & children...)
------------------------------------------------

Morons. :???:

9.3X62AL
03-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Hear, hear!

JSnover
03-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Why not try to focus some positive energy and soothe the lion's murderous soul with thoughts of good will? Like maybe a 180gr Good Will Pill from a .357 mag?
Nah.. that's just ridiculous..........

Old Ironsights
03-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Can we at least allow it to eat a few ecoweenies first?

9.3X62AL
03-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Now, THAT is some symbiosis right there--I don't care who ya are.

Old Ironsights
03-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Here kitt kitty... got a tasty (if unwashed) Ecoweenie for ya!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/DesktopCat600x800.jpg

POUNCE! :twisted:

dakotashooter2
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Subject: Students: Cougar sighting

Blondes, brunettes or redheads??????????? :-D

Old Ironsights
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Sent this to the Newspaper and the School...

Dear Mr./Ms. Cougar,

Please stop eating that co-ed.

Even though I’m duly licensed to carry a Concealed Handgun, I’m not allowed to on a college campus, so I will just have to ASK that you stop.

Thank you for considering my plea.

By the way, would you like some bottled water with that?

:twisted:

floodgate
03-27-2008, 12:47 PM
We even had a mountain lion kill a lamb, from the Ag class flock, on our High School campus between town and the local airport. The lion was trapped when (s)he returned to the kill, and was disposed of by the local Predator Control hunter, so the ID is a positive one.

floodgate

HORNET
03-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Now, the Michigan DNR has been saying for a few years that there aren't any cougars in Michigan. Alright, they recently admitted that there might be cougar tracks but they must be from escaped illegal pets or transients passing through and there isn't a breeding population.
I figure that it doesn't matter where its from or going to if its currently chewing on your leg.
BTW, some of those college girls DO got vicious claws. I got the scars on my back to prove it (but they're real hard to see anymore).

VTDW
03-27-2008, 01:38 PM
I guess they need to carry a poodle under each arm when they go to school.[smilie=1: See a cougar, drop one poodle...

Dave

Ricochet
03-27-2008, 06:30 PM
The one I encountered twice while walking in my neighborhood last May and June is what finally got me to get busy and get my carry permit. I keep hearing new stories from other folks who encountered him. Left pieces of deer and a gray fox in a city park. Mailman saw him run away from a garage (containing cat food) three houses up the street from mine one afternoon. He'll swing back through here one of these days.

Boz330
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Put out a BIG bowl of kitty food, then watch it.
For the most part they are cautious of humans, (where they are hunted) but they can drag down a grown elk cow with out to much trouble. Point is a human is quite a bit smaller, and any wild animal that is not afraid of humans is a potential problem.
Concealed carry, if I was worried I'd have a gun CC or not. Last century when I was really young, a gentleman called my house and threatened to put a 357 between my eyes and I reported it to the local constabulary. He said that there really wasn't anything they could do till he shot me. I asked what the hell do I do and he asked me if I owned a gun to which I said yes and he said I highly recommend that you carry it. At that time there was no CC in OH. BTW it was in my belt when I went to the police station. Nothing ever came from it though.
Bob

uncle joe
03-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I got a friend from Lousianna that went ML hunting in CO. He seemed to think they tasted pretty good. He was showing me the claws from it and I asked him what he did with it, as any good ole boy from LA would say he answered
"I ATE IT". I say if you see one in town eat it before it eats you or someone close to you. Stay on top of the food chain, the stuff down close to the bottom of it ain't to good to eat.:Fire:

Three44s
03-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Six point bull elk are no match for a determined and experienced cougar.

One killed a 275# calf on our ranch in June of '05 ..... then on it's next swing through ..... it tried and missed a horse and jumped into the cow pasture and drilled a grown mama cow. A bull smelled the blood and (as bulls do) WENT NUTS ........ !

When bovine bulls go bannas over cattle blood they bellor at the top of their lungs with their tongues sticking full out ........ the cat grabbed it's tongue and pulled it and the muscle group that controls the airway clear out of the bull's head.

All we found was it's windpipe sheared off inside it's skull and partially crushed ........ each time the bull tried to pull in air ..... the broken flap of windpipe would act as a reverse check valve. The bull remarkably traveled about 50 yards before he sucumbed to suffocation.

It came to me a few days later: "What's the matter ...... the cats got your tongue?"

Three 44s

Ricochet
03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
LOL!

As for the game departments in the East denying they exist, one of my friends recently got an agent to admit privately that the reason they do that is what I've been saying all along, they don't want to be saddled with the responsibility for monitoring and protecting an endangered species.

Back in the early '90s in the Southwest Virginia mountains, one of my current partners saw one in his back yard. A cattle farming friend of his who'd had calves taken talked to an agent about it and got the standard answer, "They don't exist here." He asked "If I see one, can I shoot it then?" The agent told him "If you do, we'll fine you $5000." Another cattle farmer friend DID shoot one, and had pictures of it which he sent to the wildlife agents. They chose to ignore the evidence.

I'm sure they REALLY don't want to have to deal with predation of livestock by big cats. Far easier to say "wild dogs got your calf."

NSP64
03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
The wallyworld in Salem, Illinois last fall displayed a stealth-cam photo of a ML chasing a doe.(but they don't live in Southern Illinois)[smilie=1:

Three44s
04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I think the state game agencies have a school they send their representatives to:

The School of Denial!

In our case, a WDFW Sargent told us the scratches on the horse "may have been from bushes" ........

The evening before, the Game Warden that responded took pictures and swore these scratches were from a CAT! ...... he was emphatic about ....... told me KILL THAT CAT!

I asked him about time limits ...... he said ....... "It shows up six months from now ...... KILL IT!

I asked him about night time encounters and the fact that our regulations limit hunting to daylight hours .......... HE SAYS >>>>>>> KILL IT!! ..............

But his Politically Correct Sargent was making excuses and playing "PC" before he even saw the horse the very next morning!

Bushes my BUTT!!!

Three 44s

floodgate
04-05-2008, 01:03 AM
WHERE IS CATPETMAN WHEN WE NEED HIM???

Fg

DLCTEX
04-05-2008, 06:45 AM
That may explain why our game warden maintains that we have no mountain lion here. We see them all the time, but no, he says there aren't any. It is legal to shoot them at any time, day or night, but most people believe that it is illegal. DALE

Ricochet
04-15-2008, 11:04 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351337,00.html