PDA

View Full Version : Primer pocket swaging

just bill
07-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Has any one used the RCBS bench primer pocket swager? Did a search and found all the other brands and ways , however I didn't seem to find any on the bench.

jmort
07-20-2015, 05:41 PM
You have two bench mounted choices that work well, RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Pocket Swager and the Dillon Precision Super Swage. Then the press dies, RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2 and the CH4D Priming and Swage kit,the one I finaly settled on. After doing my due diligence, I picked the CH4D Priming and Swage Kit. I think you would be happy with the RCBS Bench Mounted unit, most people seem to like them.

MUSTANG
07-20-2015, 10:58 PM
When doing large quantities of 5.56/.223 or 7.62/.308 I use the Dillon Super Swage (https://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600) . I have had it for at least 12 years and it works great.

Since the Dillon Super Swage is not permanently mounted on my bench, I use the RCBS Primer Pocket Swage (http://shop.rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Primer-Pocket-Swager-Combo-2.aspx) dies when only a few to a hundred primer pockets are to be swaged. I find it quicker to install in my permanently mounted RCBS Rock Chucker press compared to getting the Dillon Super Swage out of storage and installing it on the Bench. I bought my RCBS Primer Pocket Swage dies back in 1975 so with care they last; but are not as rapid to use as the Dillon - which is why I use the Dillon for larger batches of brass.

Budzilla 19
07-20-2015, 11:06 PM
I used the RCBS primer pocket swager exclusively as it is the only one I have, for now. Works great, no problems so far. Just my .02 cents.

dragonrider
07-20-2015, 11:16 PM
I have the Dillon super swage and the RCBS press mounted swage, they both do the job well, but for large quantity I prefer the Dillon, I think it is faster.

boho
07-20-2015, 11:32 PM
CH4D set in my RC. Used it on 556 and 9mm brass so far. Works great!

Artful
07-21-2015, 02:10 AM
I like my Dillon - especially after mod'ing it from this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C34sRku4ASY

just bill
07-21-2015, 07:54 AM

Ya, that seems to be a catchy mod to the Dillon. I finally found a youtube for the bench top RCBS. The Dillon seems a little smoother operation. Notice the Dillon hasn't changed price in quite a while, but no discount coupons.

jmorris
07-21-2015, 09:32 AM
I have tried a bunch of different methods and the 1050 wins hands down.

anotherred
07-23-2015, 10:34 PM
How fussy is the dillon, or any of these for that matter on different types of brass? Right now I'm cutting all the primer pockets with a RCBS primer crimp remover on a small motor. Swaging the primer pockets does seem quicker, but will I need to sort all the brass by headstamp.

just bill
07-24-2015, 02:41 PM
How fussy is the dillon, or any of these for that matter on different types of brass? Right now I'm cutting all the primer pockets with a RCBS primer crimp remover on a small motor. Swaging the primer pockets does seem quicker, but will I need to sort all the brass by headstamp.

I've read a lot about doing just that. Sorting brass by head stamp for all steps in swaging and precision shooting is the way to go, by most of the people who are accuracy oriented. Each mfg. has a slightly different design spec unto it self along with case weight. The hot ticket for military brass is LC, just an observation from the threads and posts. If my observations of all pocket swagers is if it is done by head stamp you only have to make one pin adjustment.

Just a thought.

farmerjim
07-24-2015, 03:52 PM
A primer pocket reamer chucked in my mini lathe is much faster than my CH4D primer pocket swage tool.

bangerjim
07-24-2015, 04:04 PM
I use the RCBS unit all the item with excellent success on all shells and have money left over from NOT buying the Blue Thing. Fast and accurate....for my needs anyway!

bangerjim

wonderwolf
07-30-2015, 10:52 AM
I have a RCBS primer pocket die set.....hate the dang thing. I jumped at a dillion primer pocket swagger when I spoted one at a gun show for $80 with the s & l rifle stems as well as the pistol stem. Have yet to use it as I don't prep brass in quantity until late fall really. But from what I've seen and heard the dillion is great.

jrap
07-30-2015, 11:41 AM
I have one of the rcbs sets that goes in the press and its alright but it's slow. I'd just go with the dillon system if I was you

hardcase54
07-30-2015, 12:57 PM
I use farmerjim's method.

wonderwolf
07-30-2015, 04:08 PM
I have one of the rcbs sets that goes in the press and its alright but it's slow. I'd just go with the dillon system if I was you

Mine seems to stick and is not smooth, got tired of things getting bumped out of place all over my apartment "students" reloading bench I had specifically made for reloading. Made with heavy a heavy duty shelf underneath for lots of weight to steady things but it still bumps when the stems stick.

bigjake
02-14-2016, 10:06 AM
I personally do not like the Dillon. its not very accurate, even if you sort the brass. If you don't like sorting brass, you just like to load and plink, the Dillon is literally junk.
IMO, the most accurate way is to chuck the case in my mini lathe, then chuck the hornady primer pocket crimp cutter in the tailstock chuck, then while keeping the tailstock loose from the bed of the lathe, run the whole tailstock quickly into the brass for one second. after doing this, the pocket is perfect, not to loose, not too tight. no sorting ever.

rbt50
02-14-2016, 04:15 PM
the rcbs is a pain to use . I been using the Dillon and just got the new one from hornady for their lnl. I like the hornady and it is fast.

DukeInFlorida
02-14-2016, 07:14 PM
I have several ways to swage primer pockets.

My favorite way is to use Dillons Super Swage 600.

However, I also found an old Herter's die set. SEIA is the set number. Herters Primer Pocket Swage Tool. It came with a T slot primer swage insert to fit 30 caliber Shell Holder (30-06, 308 Win, etc), and then a screw into your press upper part with a pusher rod inside. You place the brass over the pusher rod, and lift the ram to swage the primer pocket. It came with T shot inserts for both small and large primer pockets.

Old thread on this subject is here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?29419-Need-help-IDing-a-Herter-swaging-die&p=324724&viewfull=1#post324724

I prefer the "push the material back where it came from" method of dealing with crimped primer pockets, vs the "shave the material away" method.

clodhopper
02-15-2016, 01:13 AM
The thought of never taking brass away from cases is a good one.
Cutting the crimp away is so much faster, and my preferred method after two RCBS primer pocket swagers, and one Dillon.

OS OK
02-15-2016, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the 'tip'…this Dillon is my favorite way too…hefty little machine.
Wish you'd post this tip in my "Breaking your Routine"…BENCH TIPS (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?299629-quot-Breaking-your-Routine-quot-%85BENCH-TIPS)…reloaders are the 'craftiest' bunch of guys I've ever met!

Lagamor
02-15-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm only doing 9mm, so my Lyman pocket tool works great, especially for the $10 I spent. If I was doing rifle I'd probably go with the Dillon, but hey...whatever floats your boat.

marten
02-16-2016, 08:13 AM
RCBS bench swage works well, saved quite a bit compared to the Dillon. (oh, and I use Dillon stuff too)

GONRA
02-18-2016, 06:45 PM
GONRA sez SWAGING is better than REAMING.
No possible chatter marks that screwup primer pocket internal diameter.

MTSWAGER
03-06-2016, 01:15 AM
I like the Dillon, can get a good volume of brass done when you get a system down, I dont sort by head stamp, out of my last batch of 223, I had about 15 out of 2000 that didn't quite want to take a primer smooth on my 650, They were all the square staked LC brass.

guywitha3006
03-08-2016, 04:22 PM
I just did about 1000-1500 Lake City on my 650 with a "swage-it" from fleabay. The guy that sells is good to deal with. You simply unscrew the primer plunger and install the swager. once you get a feel for it, you can swage as quick as you pull the handle (about the same force as seating a primer). I want to say it took 2 hours maybe a bit more (not much) to install and get going. I have about 1000 LC 308 to due but I need to get a large rifle collater plate first.

oldcanadice
03-09-2016, 12:19 PM
I use the RCBS. I only use it once in a great while so it's good enough and not that big a pain. Results are just fine.
If you get it, be careful not to set the die too hard against the ram. I managed to bend a swag-rod when I got too enthusiastic with the crunch while trying to create a bigger radius on the pockets.