PDA

View Full Version : Best way to pull 45auto?

2ndAmendmentNut
07-20-2015, 03:39 PM
I was given a lot of old 45auto ammo (5gal bucket) full. It is a mix of factory and reloads, about half cast the other half are FMJs. I have no intention of shooting this stuff (the previous owner destroyed one gun already.) I would like to break this stuff down to reuse the brass and FMJs and recast the lead. What is the best way to accomplish this task? I had a collet style puller, but the 45 FMJs are really difficult for the collet to grip and I ended up breaking my 45cal collet. Hoping there is a better way.

jcren
07-20-2015, 04:31 PM
I use a genetic (hammer type) for my mess ups in 45

chsparkman
07-20-2015, 04:36 PM
For the lead boolits, see if you can push the cartridge up through your press with no die installed then grab it with a pair of pliers. It might work for the jacketed also but it might ruin them. For those a kinetic puller works well, though it is slow going.

RG1911
07-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Since the collet type did not work, I think you are stuck with using an inertial puller. Highly labor-intensive, but it does work.

kbstenberg
07-20-2015, 05:14 PM
If you have a drill press and something to cut wood (tablesaw, circlesaw) Make a square 2.5" by 2.5" by 3 layers of 3/4" stock glued together. Measure the ram on your loading press. Drill a hole in the wood block slightly larger than the ram dia.
Put the block over the ram resting on the frame of the press. With the correct size shell holder raise the ram so the shell holder is just above the block of wood. Insert the shell into the holder, slowly lower the ram until just before the bottom of the exposed bullet goes into the wood block. Grab the bullet with an electricians wire stripper and hold the bullet as hard as you can.
You then hit the handle of the press with a HARD/ FAST blow with your other hand. The blow is intended to lower the ram forcing the bullet to be pulled out of the case. It may take 2 or 3 blows but the bullet will come out.
If you don't hold the bullet hard enough with the wire cutters (cast bullets) you can just strip some lead from the surface of the bullet.
This is how I pull pistol bullets. If I am doing rifle bullets. they are long enough to go through the top of the press and that's where they are pulled. Kevin

w5pv
07-20-2015, 05:14 PM
If you have an old flaring tool clamp use it the grip your bullets with.Works well on the larger calibers.

gwpercle
07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
A genetic hammer ? The g is close to the k...that made me smile.

Seat the FMJ's a little deeper in the case to break the crimp if you choose a genetic puller.
I had to do this with some military ammo, without breaking that crimp it takes a lot of hammering.

smokeywolf
07-20-2015, 05:38 PM
"K" and "G" not that close. 2 keys apart, different hands and different fingers. "Kinetic" "genetic" still funny though. Genetic bullet puller, for pulling boolits with genetic defects.

sparky45
07-20-2015, 06:12 PM
I've got and use a Hornady Collet puller that has worked with all 45's I've pulled, jacketed, cast and coated.

country gent
07-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Kenetic pullers work well if several things are followed. One is a solid surface with little to no give. concrete and steel arnt really recomended as they can damage the puller over time. One that does work really well is a chunk of tree trunk about 2 ft long and 18-24" in dia dried hardwood is better still. Sit this is on the concrete floor and use it to hit on. Solid and secure it gives a good place for this. The other is the blow you use. a solid blow that is allowed to bounce pulls bullets quickly. SOme times seating bulltes .050 deeper helps break sealants presure grips and crimps helping also. On the cast side cutters or pliers on top of press and pull ram down is effective. Hammering smacking a press handle is very hard on the linkage.

bangerjim
07-20-2015, 08:43 PM
For a 5 gal bucket........I would definitely buy 2 hammer pullers! That plastic does break. I use an RCBS collet puller for everything except SWC's....nothing to grab onto.

MarkAD
07-20-2015, 08:45 PM
thus us what i use for pulling.
http://quinetics.com/ quick chuck, Wonderful

Le Loup Solitaire
07-20-2015, 09:38 PM
If you don't want to get involved with bullet pullers and you want to salvage the components, there is an old method that is slow, time consuming, but sure to work if you have the time and patience. If you don't have either then forget the following.....take two wood chisels and use the backs of them or else bars of steel and put the neck of each cartridge case between them and roll the sandwich a couple of times on a hard surface (like a vise anvil) It will loosen the necks and you can pull the bullet out with your fingers....then pour off the powder and do what you will with the cases, powder etc. LLS

jcren
07-20-2015, 11:07 PM
Oops, didn't even catch the K-G thing! Gotta love phones and auto-correct ( as a side note, my "auto-correct" does not recognize auto-correct...)

Mk42gunner
07-21-2015, 01:34 AM
A semi-educated guess, (I issued and used a heck of a lot of .45 ACP during my career) you have somewhere between 3 and 6,000 rounds. That is a lot of bullet pulling, no matter how you do it.

For that amount, I would buy an extended shell holder and use a big set of end nippers. Anything else just sounds too painful.

I would also not try to do the whole bucket at one sitting, either.

Robert

mozeppa
07-21-2015, 04:45 AM
last winter for 2-1/2 months....

i pulled over 30,000 rounds using 4 inertia hammers, 3 sets of collets for the hammers and 8 plastic rings for the hammers.

3 of the 4 hammers broke off 1/2" below where the handle goes into the hammer head.
on one hammer i broke it twice re-drilled out the head , re-inserted the handle shaft and installed a tension pin.
when it broke a 3rd time, it was too short to swing!

marvelshooter
07-21-2015, 05:46 AM
last winter for 2-1/2 months....

i pulled over 30,000 rounds using 4 inertia hammers!
Do you mind sharing why that was necessary?

dudel
07-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Kinetic hammer for me. Found they last much longer if you don't hammer on concrete. I use a 2' length of PT 6x6. That allows me to sit while I use the hammer.

Safely dispose of the powder, because it's not going to be the same type (mix of reloads and factory ammo).

mdi
07-21-2015, 12:06 PM
I've never had much success with a collet type puller on any handgun ammo. So, I would suggest an inertia type puller (the one I have has no markings on it and I don't remember where I got it, mebbe Frankfort Arsenal [?], but it has lasted mebbe 18 years and hundreds of my mistakes and a whole bunch of mil surp, 30-06 ammo). I have an ingot of fairly hard lead about 2"x4"x12" and I use that for an anvil. It's not so soft as to deaden the impact and is much quieter...

BTW; there's only one way to eat an elephant, that's one bite at a time. I'd say just pull as many as comfortable in one sitting, and it won't become tedious...

rondog
07-21-2015, 12:19 PM
I got lucky once and found a couple of pieces of RR track in a junk pile, one is 8" long the other is 10". Keep the 8" one by my reloading bench, it's perfect for whacking my bullet puller on.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Kinetic hammer for me. Found they last much longer if you don't hammer on concrete. I use a 2' length of PT 6x6. That allows me to sit while I use the hammer.
I use a lyman inertia puller and hit it against a old time dead blow hammer (24oz cast iron head with Leather ends) it's quiet and can be done while sitting in a chair. I recently pulled someone else's reloads: (100) 375 H&H with crimped J-words and (150) 30-06 with same...it took 3 or 4 "hits" for each cartridge, my arms were tired after that session, so I can't imagine doing a 5 gal bucket, although I suspect 45acp will pull a lot easily than crimped rifle ammo.

Der Gebirgsjager
07-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Maybe a cheapie Hi-Point .45 carbine, replace the recoil spring with something even heavier, and shoot 'em up! Well, just sayin' here...more fun than pulling them by hand! :-)

mold maker
07-21-2015, 02:57 PM
I can understand young folks not having time, but at 73, I'd love your problem. Salvaging a 5 gal bucket of primed brass and bullets would be a welcome activity.
Do you have any idea whether the original owner was a caster? There may be casting stuff for sale.
The processed, primed brass will need only a flare, and the FMJ can likely be reused.
I've quit loading big lots of ammo so that when the time comes. most of my inventory will be in ready to use components.

M-Tecs
07-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Never used this but this looks to be just what you need.

http://www.grip-n-pull.com

I have used the Forster Superfast (Possum Type) Bullet Puller on military 556 and 7.62. They work very well. . I don't believe Foster makes these anymore and I think 8mm was the largest they made.

A buddy modified one of these to pull 45 acp. He needed a Universal Extended Shellholder for the short cases. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=extended+shell+holder

Forster Superfast Bullet Puller

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491328009

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=FORSTER+PRODUCTS+Superfast+Bullet+Pu ller+243+bullet+diameter

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/forster_bulletpullersuperpuller.pdf

mozeppa
07-21-2015, 11:36 PM
Do you mind sharing why that was necessary?

sure....dad reloaded...dad was old and not so careful....i know what he used , but to what amount was anybody's guess?
as i got throws all over the map powder wise ...some crimps were not so crimped....others too much.

dads gone now ....but thankfully not by his own errors.

so i saved the powder , primers, brass and lead.

do you trust other reloaders with your limbs, eyesight, life?....is that good enuf?

marvelshooter
07-22-2015, 06:37 PM
sure....dad reloaded...dad was old and not so careful.

do you trust other reloaders with your limbs, eyesight, life?....is that good enuf?
I didn't mean to pry. 30,000 rounds is an awful lot of ammo to take apart.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Never used this but this looks to be just what you need.

http://www.grip-n-pull.com

I have used the Forster Superfast (Possum Type) Bullet Puller on military 556 and 7.62. They work very well. . I don't believe Foster makes these anymore and I think 8mm was the largest they made.

A buddy modified one of these to pull 45 acp. He needed a Universal Extended Shellholder for the short cases. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=extended+shell+holder

Forster Superfast Bullet Puller

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=491328009

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=FORSTER+PRODUCTS+Superfast+Bullet+Pu ller+243+bullet+diameter

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/forster_bulletpullersuperpuller.pdf

Thanks for the link, I'll have to order myself one of those grip and pulls.

chsparkman
07-23-2015, 10:58 AM
That grip-n-pull looks like just the ticket! I'm getting one of each!

SeabeeMan
07-23-2015, 11:27 AM
That Grip N' Pull is cool. I've been looking at getting one of the die-style, collect & lever types but I may need to pick one of those up instead. The price would be better, especially when you don't have to buy a bunch of different collets.

KnotRight
07-23-2015, 11:41 AM
I use the backside of my bench vise to hammer on. The problem that I have is the powder the flies out of the bullet puller going all over the bench.

ioon44
07-24-2015, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=KnotRight;3321232]I use the backside of my bench vise to hammer on. The problem that I have is the powder the flies out of the bullet puller going all over the bench.[/QUOTE

I have put tape over the top of the bullet puller to keep powder from flying out, helps but not a total cure.

I recommend the RCBS, if it ever breaks customer service is great.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-27-2015, 11:47 AM
I received my Grip-N-pull in the mail. I'll update when I have a chance to try it out.

Dave C.
07-27-2015, 04:29 PM
For the fmj rounds first seat them just a little deeper if they are military ball, this will break the sealent and make them easier to pull with the hammer type puller. For the lead loads spray the rounds with some case lube and run them through a size die with the decapping stem removed then get out that hollow hammer.

Dave C.

DocSavage
09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
I use a piece of 4x4 fence post for my pulling of bullets with a kinetic puller.

rbuck351
09-09-2015, 04:13 PM
I just tried all of my 5 presses and none will stick the nose of the bullet on a 45acp far enough up the die hole to grab with anything except maybe a long thin nosed vice grip. I would think using something like this would damage the threads in the die hole in the press before you got through a 5 gal bucket of 45s. Use a kenetic puller. I have used the RCBS all plastic one for over 30 years with out breaking it however there are a couple of tricks. 1. use a shell holder instead if the cheesy aluminum case holder. 2. Hold the hammer only with your thumb and first two fingers. DO NOT have the heel of your hand on the handle. 3. Use something very hard to hit against like an anvil or a short piece of RR track. 4. Last, swing the hammer head very fast with a light grip on the handle. You want the hammer head to rebound as much and fast as possible. It's a tight hard grip on the handle that tears up the kinetic pullers and prevents them from working their best. They are still slow but you can salvage everything but the powder.

M-Tecs
09-09-2015, 08:00 PM
I just tried all of my 5 presses and none will stick the nose of the bullet on a 45acp far enough up the die hole to grab with anything except maybe a long thin nosed vice grip. I.

These will solve you height problems http://www.midwayusa.com/product/225116/hornady-universal-extended-shellholder

http://www.redding-reloading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=90:extended-shellholders

http://www.huntingtons.com/store/product.php?productid=19670

oldfart1956
09-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Hey rbuck351 here's a cheap&easy fix that lets you use the press. Put a .45acp in the shell holder on the press. Now snatch up a piece of pvc pipe about 1 1/2 inch or so long. a coupling would work fine, and set it over the loaded round. It just has to be large enough i.d. to fit over the ram. Now pull the lever. Doesn't have to go anywhere near the threaded part of the press. Any kind of pipe will work so long as the ram fits through and the pipe clears the back of the press. This is for single stage presses of course. Audie...the frugal Oldfart.

Dragonheart
09-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Since you want to salvage as much as possible and with a mix, the kinetic hammer bullet puller is the best thing I have found. A caliber specific collet puller works on heavy FMJ without damaging the bullet, but on soft bullets it can deform the bullet. It will be a slow process regardless of which way you go to do 5 gallons.

opos
09-15-2015, 01:14 PM
I've used the inertia bullet puller for years..never pulled that kind of quantity..but I did find something that works for me...the little 3 piece "collet" with the o ring around it is clumsy and I keep losing them so I just use a shell holder from my die set...it holds the cartridge down in the puller and works great..much more solid than the little 3 piece collet thing.

Dragonheart
09-15-2015, 01:54 PM
I've used the inertia bullet puller for years..never pulled that kind of quantity..but I did find something that works for me...the little 3 piece "collet" with the o ring around it is clumsy and I keep losing them so I just use a shell holder from my die set...it holds the cartridge down in the puller and works great..much more solid than the little 3 piece collet thing.

I guess it proves you are never too old to learn something new. I will give it a try as that sounds like a great idea.

thanks.

steelhorse
09-15-2015, 03:05 PM
I used one of those RCBS plastic looking hammer. works very well for all my loads, 45 ACP, 9, 6.5x55 Swed, 7.5x55 Swiss, 7.62x39..I have pulled large number of those Cals. listed above.

Safeshot
09-15-2015, 06:50 PM
For the lead bulleted ammo, run the loaded round into a .45 Auto sizing die with the de-capping pin and assembly removed. If the lead bulleted round is loaded with a lead bullet larger than .452 inch dia. you can use a .45 Auto Lee factory crimp die (with the carbide sizing ring) with the crimping ring and threaded plug removed, to size the loaded round "down". This will size the case and lead bullet down "some". the brass case will "spring back" a small amount. In either case the lead bullet will not be as "tight" and will be easier to pull by any method. The nippers, large wire cutters or a collet (if there is enough bullet to "grab") or the inertia puller will all be much easier to use to pull the lead bullet. For any military rounds, first seat the bullet about .010" to .020" deeper in the case to "break the bond" of any bullet sealer. (This may also be helpful on some commercial .45 ammo.) This will make the jacketed bullets easier to pull also. If you do not want to reuse the jacketed bullets, then the sizing the jacketed rounds rounds "down" approach will also work for them and make them easier to pull.

rbuck351
09-16-2015, 04:06 AM
oldfart1956
I like your thinking and it will work on a couple of my presses. It's a no go on my go to press, the Lyman AA. I have a RCBS collet puller as well but it doesn't work well on bullets with no straight part sticking out of the case. Yeah, a shell holder is far better than the cheesy three piece thing that comes with the inertia pullers.

beagle
09-22-2015, 11:18 PM
I've pulled many thousands of auto pistol ammo both cast and FMJ using this method and a kinetic hammer afterwards. A section of log works well as an "anvil" and a chain saw, easily cuts it to height. Instead of the collets, use an RCBS shell holder to hold the bullet in place.

The sizing need to include only the length of the seated bullet.

After sizing, usually a fairly light tap unseats the bullet./beagle

QUOTE=Safeshot;3377167]For the lead bulleted ammo, run the loaded round into a .45 Auto sizing die with the de-capping pin and assembly removed. If the lead bulleted round is loaded with a lead bullet larger than .452 inch dia. you can use a .45 Auto Lee factory crimp die (with the carbide sizing ring) with the crimping ring and threaded plug removed, to size the loaded round "down". This will size the case and lead bullet down "some". the brass case will "spring back" a small amount. In either case the lead bullet will not be as "tight" and will be easier to pull by any method. The nippers, large wire cutters or a collet (if there is enough bullet to "grab") or the inertia puller will all be much easier to use to pull the lead bullet. For any military rounds, first seat the bullet about .010" to .020" deeper in the case to "break the bond" of any bullet sealer. (This may also be helpful on some commercial .45 ammo.) This will make the jacketed bullets easier to pull also. If you do not want to reuse the jacketed bullets, then the sizing the jacketed rounds rounds "down" approach will also work for them and make them easier to pull.[/QUOTE]