PDA

View Full Version : Hey: is this stuff useful in mixing up a lube

milprileb
07-20-2015, 11:45 AM
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/military-issue-unique-items-odds-and-ends/collectible-items/government-issue-cosmoline-10lb-brick.html

Up to now, I am all good with LAR's line of lubes. See no reason to mix my own.
Then I run across this brick of cosmolene and get to thinking....mix with wax and ????:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu

Dusty Bannister
07-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Search:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132802-Cosmoline

More information than you probably wanted though. Good luck, Dusty

Elkins45
07-21-2015, 08:17 AM
People complain about Alox based lubes stinking...I wonder what burning Cosmoline lube smells like?

runfiverun
07-21-2015, 12:52 PM
like alox,,, they are cousins on the foo err molecular chain.

cosmolene has been used in several lube recipes.

bangerjim
07-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Yep...........burned grease, similar to mule snot. Have cleaned a lot of cosmoline off metal surfaces in the past years!

bhn22
07-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Lee Bumble Loob smells a lot like Cosmo too. They are definitely related.

I have used Lees stuff as cosmo in the past too. It worked really well.

fryboy
07-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Alox's smell ... Is much akin to cilantro ( in a way ) in that many people love it and some just detest it ,I admit I'm in the latter category [shrugz] if you love burnt grease burning even more ( mixed w/an umm foul ancient aroma ) you'll love it lolz
If it's a dry-ish hard brick you may have to add some oil or other grease to it

Grump
07-23-2015, 01:33 AM
The ONLY way I'd be interested would be if it landed in my possession for free.

Even then, I have no intention to ever use a lube with Alox in it. Not even happy memories of shooting with Dad and occasionally helping him in the loading room can overcome the smell's obnoxiousness.

Cosmoline is likely to be no better in the aroma department. One of the Satan's Lube variants is probably next on my list...

Magana559
07-23-2015, 05:56 AM
Wonder if it would cause sticky cases/bolt. I know if you don't clean up milsurp rifles good enough you get this problem.