PDA

View Full Version : Universals not necessarily Hollywoods?

beeser
07-20-2015, 09:31 AM
While digging a little further into Hollywood history Pressman's post on the ARTCA forum surfaced regarding not all Hollywood Universals are Hollywoods. Apparently some were made by the Universal Loading Tool Company of San Diego before Hollywood acquired the rights to the loader. This is interesting for a number of reasons but primarily this shows yet another connection the early manufacturers of loading machines had with San Diego. I wonder, where did Hollywood obtain the inspiration or design for their progressive loaders?

Pressman - Is the Universal Loading Tool Company actually Star Machine Works or a separate company? If not, do you know the principles involved with the company?

Kevin Rohrer
07-20-2015, 08:19 PM
And more importantly, who here has a Universal that is not a Hollywood? I do not.

Pressman
07-23-2015, 09:37 PM
The Universal press dates to about 1934. It was Patented in 1936. Curiously there are no factory pictures of the press. Their literature shows a line drawing, the same was used in Phil Sharps books.

Universal and Star are not related, though that does not mean that the people involved did not know each other.

My Universal is post patent, another that I have pictured may be pre patent.

Ken