PDA

View Full Version : Powder storage for use later

nhmikel
07-20-2015, 06:45 AM
I have been acquiring reloading supplies and not quite there yet. What are some tips for keeping powder OK, etc...
Not opened yet & keeping dessicant gags near..what else should Be done or not

Electric88
07-20-2015, 06:49 AM
Keep it somewhere that is climate controlled... like a basement

dragon813gt
07-20-2015, 06:58 AM
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

bangerjim
07-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Keep it where you would be comfortable living. And away from sunlight and heat sources. Don't open it all the time to "look at your hoard". If it was there then, it will be there now.

Date (and price) all your bottles for future reference. Use oldest first. FIFO works for consumables.........and powder!

banger

hanleyfan
07-20-2015, 12:41 PM
IF you store the powder in your house be sure it does not void your insurance, my policy states if any flammable or explosives
are stored in the structure the policy is voided.

dragon813gt
07-20-2015, 01:43 PM
IF you store the powder in your house be sure it does not void your insurance, my policy states if any flammable or explosives
are stored in the structure the policy is voided.

So you don't store any household chemicals in your house? That's a very vague policy. I'd be more concerned w/ following your local fire code. This is how your insurance policy might become null and void.

mold maker
07-20-2015, 01:49 PM
There isn't a house in America that doesn't have a flammable of some kind. IE cooking oil, nail polish and remover, rubbing alcohol, candles, furniture, and the material the house is built with.
If that weren't the case, we wouldn't need fire depts, or ins.
Sounds like a code for collecting payments, with no intent to pay.

onefunzr2
07-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Other than following the storage tips given above the best tip for long term gunpowder storage is to buy double base powders as their shelf life is almost infinite. Not so with single base powders. Also, this point might be moot in this day and age, but buying powder in plastic bottles is better than metal cans which can tend to rust.

GaryN
07-21-2015, 02:00 PM
As above, keep it away from the heat. I have some I bough over thirty years ago. It is still good.

Gofaaast
07-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Do you mind sharing the insurance companies name, if it is a national company?

hanleyfan
07-21-2015, 03:41 PM
ok, if you are technical yes there are a lot of flammable things in the house, the agent mention mainly gas, or lantern fuel and no gunpowder of any kind in bulk. rather than taking a risk I built a shop about 100 ft. from the house for my reloading.

dragon813gt
07-21-2015, 03:52 PM
So you have no insurance on that structure then? What's your local fire code? I doubt your insurance company has their own. Either way I would be dropping that company because they will be a problem if a fire occurs.

ga41
07-26-2015, 09:29 AM
I'll repeat the request for the name of the company, thanks

AllanD
07-27-2015, 10:21 PM
a good old generalization is that smokeless powder needs to be stored someplace cool (dry is not so important)
so I kept my smokeless powder in my beer refrigerator (which was fitted with a padlock)

Primers were stored in 50cal ammo cans in the same frig.

Black powder were stored in a metal locker in my attic

Black powder doesn't mind a little "heat" but moisture is a no-no even in minute quantities