PDA

View Full Version : THE 25-35 SINGLE SHOT (Recreation, Dec 1905)

ohland
07-19-2015, 08:23 PM
https://books.google.com/books?id=qPMXAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA546&dq=bullet+mold+marlin&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEAQ6AEwBGoVChMI3LnOx7PoxgIVUJuICh224wGw#v=on epage&q=bullet%20mold%20marlin&f=false

Recreation, vol 23, No. 8 Dec 1905, pgs 546-547

THE 25-35 SINGLE SHOT
Editor Recreation :
I note in November Recreation- that Robert McLaury, of Brooklyn, asks about the 2S-35 high-pressure rifle for woodchucks, and as I bought my gun of that calibre for this especial purpose, would like to give the following points about it :

I obtained a Winchester single shot special, 25-35 calibre, weight about 10 pounds, single set trigger, Swiss butt plate, pistol grip, Lyman combination, and ivory bead sights. I have the loading tool and bullet mold for Ideal 257231 bullet, made in Dr. Hudson's alloy, 10-10-80. For the full highpressure load and jacketed bullet, I weigh the powder—Laflin & Rand Lightning, 10 grains—and have very regular and strong results, and entirely at variance to the regularly advanced statement that high pressure shells cannot be reloaded with any degree of success. The shells will break after from three to six reloadings, though I have shot
some eight times.

For reloading lighter loads, I also use the jacketed bullet designed for the 25-20-86, and use up to 12 grains of Lightning with fine results. This is a very savage load for short ranges up to 100 yards, with about the same trajectory as the 117 grain bullet and full charge.

Then as I shoot a good deal in my attic at home, I use the lead bullet. No. 257231, which weighs 106 grains in the alloy (or 86 grains, according to the weight bullet you get) with five grains of Walsrode green shotgun smokeless powder, using the Ideal powder measure to facilitate loading, and which is very accurate with the fine powder. This combination gives fine accuracy with no leading. Also contrary to the common statement,
that when jacketed and lead bullets are shot promiscuously without cleaning that leading will occur, I have never had it happen to me, and I always carry a dozen or so lead loads when I am out tramping. I have also used a cylindrical paper patched bullet with firstrate success in this gun, but as with the hard bullet, the sights have to be shifted in order to compensate for the rolling of the bullet to the right.

There is little recoil in this gun, nor is there much with regular repeater. I expect to get the 25-35 carbine in order to have a light-weight gun for the same ammunition. For woodchuck shooting where the ranges are continually changing, this gun is simply fine, requiring little allowance for drop, and making a sure kill. I have several jackets which I have picked up near 'chucks, and they look wicked, but I have never found a
trace of lead. You can load this cartridge to give anything from .22 calibre up to the full load, and generally I like it very much indeed.

H. B. Johnson. Syracuse, N. Y.