PDA

View Full Version : Mold sources

VHoward
07-19-2015, 05:24 PM
I hope this is the right section to ask this in. I am looking to buy a Magma Master Caster. I know Magma makes molds to fit their equipment and I know Accurate Molds will also make their mold blocks to fit. I want a classic round nose design but I don't want any lube grooves. I don't know if Magma will customize any of the mold blocks they make as they have a few designs I am interested in. Accurate will remove the lube groove from any of the designs they have and already list several without lube grooves, but they won't do round noses.

Is there any other mold maker that make mold blocks for a master caster?

TomAM
07-20-2015, 10:04 AM
I believe Hardline Industries offers the combination of Magma, round nose, and smooth side design.

VHoward
07-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks Tom. I'll see what they have. I do have a mold made by you and it is awesome.

jmort
07-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Tom is the perfect gentleman, businessman, and most importantly the best mold maker, period, without peer.
I would do my due diligence with Hardline before I anted-up the $$$.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?268052-Experiences-with-Hardline-Industries

VHoward
07-20-2015, 11:37 PM
The mold I received from Tom is flawless and I got it sooner than what was stated on his web site. I went to Hardlines web site and after I saw the price he wanted, I decided to look elsewhere. What I just read in the thread that jmort linked to, I definitely won't be ordering. I seem to remember the same thing happening with Ballisticast. Good machines, but not good business sense.

VHoward
07-20-2015, 11:41 PM
I will more than likely order a mold block from Tom for the Master Caster that matches the mold I bought from him before as that bullet shoots great from my 9mm. Still deciding about what I want for my 45 ACP though.

bstone5
07-20-2015, 11:58 PM
Tom made a steel mold from a design I made in SolidWorks.

The mold worked very good in my Automated Master Caster Machine.

I ordered the mounting hardware and sprue plate from Magma.

I had to clean the mold with a scrub brush and some Bar Tenders Helper to get good edges on the base of the mold.
This is common on a new mold since there will always be some oil in the mold.

The mold is the 35-120G mold on Tom's web site.

The bullet is a short fat bullet for the 357 SIG. The bullets will be sized to .357 so they can be shot in 9mm cases and 38 caliber revolvers.

There are no lube groves since the bullets will be powder coated.

I cast 2000 of the bullets this last weekend.

Tom does excellent work in making the mold. The cost was well worth the end product that the mold makes.

VHoward
07-21-2015, 12:10 AM
I am going with steel for the master caster. I have a steel mold made by Saeco and it is the best casting mold I have. I have been trying aluminum molds recently with acceptable results, but I have only 1 day a week I can set down and cast and even with the light aluminum molds, I get fatigued after just one hour and only about 200 bullets to show for my effort.

VHoward
07-22-2015, 09:23 PM
I decided on 2 molds from Accurate Molds. The 35 - 125PZ and the 45 - 200I. Both are slick sided as I powder coat my bullets. The 45 - 200I almost has a round nose, just a small flat point. The 35 - 125PZ I already have in a 5 cavity aluminum hand casting mold and really like the bullet.