PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs

billnconnie
10-07-2005, 11:20 PM
This is my first post, was wondering if $100 was to much to give for the #68 Hensley & Gibbs 4 cavity mold.
I saw it on E-bay.
Thanks for any reponse.
Bill

felix
10-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Bill, the real question is "What is the alternative"? If there is none, then the price is of no option. ... felix

BruceB
10-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Bill, welcome!

If the mould appears to be in good condition, I'd take a hard look at it for that $100 price, so long as it has handles attached.

I do believe it's a high-ish price, but they're very good moulds and that is a VERY effective and popular design. There is also collector interest in H&G moulds, so there may be some price pressure from that quarter as well.

I've bought probably at least a couple of dozen moulds from Ebay sellers, with only one being notably poorer-condition than the posted description. Check the seller's feedback, and if it seems reasonable you can buy with confidence, I've found.

Does Connie shoot, too?

NVcurmudgeon
10-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Welcome Bill from another Bill. I have an H&G 68 that I bought used at least 25 years ago. At a conservative estimate of 2000 boolits a year, I think I have got my thirty bucks worth! I would cheerfully pay $100 If I needed one now.

Buckshot
10-08-2005, 05:32 AM
.............billnconnie, welcome to the board. Hensley & Gibbs were probably some of the best moulds ever produced, and if anyone has heard of them they've heard of the #68. I don't really pay much attention to moulds on E-bay or the current value of used NLA types, but my point of veiw is that if the mould is as good as new, and you want that design then $100 is probably a reasonable price.

In a few years it will be a VERY good price regardless and that $100 will be but a memory. They're not made any more and how often do they become available to buy?

.............Buckshot

Bret4207
10-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Welcome friend. If you're buying from a guy whose screen name is starreloaderparts or something like that you're getting a new mould with no handles. This guy apparently has all the old stock for H+G. His prices are high, but an H+G is quite a mould. You'd pay more for a single cavity Steve Brooks or Hoch mould these days.

FISH4BUGS
10-08-2005, 07:51 AM
This is my first post, was wondering if $100 was to much to give for the #68 Hensley & Gibbs 4 cavity mold.
I saw it on E-bay.
Thanks for any reponse.
Bill

Bill:
The H&G moulds are great. I use them for almost all my bullet casting. I typically use the 10 cavity moulds because I shoot a ton of 9mm and 380 in submachineguns. I watch ebay daily for any H&G moulds that come up. If your mould is in good condition (the cavities are what is important, not so much the outside condition although that IS important too - I learned that from TexasFlyBoy - THE authority on H&G and another H&G fan) and they are complete with handles, you did fine.
As an example, if you bought a 4 cavity Lyman, they would go for up to about $60 in new condition on ebay. The H&G moulds have better bullet designs in my opinion. So $100 is not all that bad. Many of those of like design I see go for $100-$140 on ebay.
My last one I bought was a 4 cavity H&G 44 mag 210 swc gc bullet for $140. That is an uncommon bullet weight for a 44, and I only got it at that price because TexasFlyBoy's computer screwed up. I'll sell it to him if I ever get rid of it. I was ready to pay up to $200 for it.
Just take care of it and you will pass it down to your kids.

porkchop bob
10-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Good morning, Bill.

I happen to be bidding on a 6-C H&G #68 with handles, and agree with you and the others who have replied - $100 is not too much to pay. However, given a choice I would rather have a Lee 6-C of the same mold design because it is lighter. When you get older, the weight does become a factor.

Do bid and good luck. :) I suspect you want this mold more than I do.

For others in our group, do consider the merits of a Lee 6-C mold that replicates the bullet made by the H&G #68. I would buy two.

Bob

FISH4BUGS
10-08-2005, 01:25 PM
However, given a choice I would rather have a Lee 6-C of the same mold design because it is lighter. When you get older, the weight does become a factor.
Bob

Bob:
That is an understatement. I have to say that working with the 10 cavity H&G mould DOES give me a sore arm after an day of casting. I'm starting to look like Popeye with the big forearm on my left arm.....well not really but it DOES give your arm a real workout.....but a radio and some adult beverages at hand makes an easier day of it all.
Balance that with the tremendous output of the 10 cavity H&G's, it guess it is a tradeoff. I'm 57 so maybe as I hit my 60's I might change my mind. Hey....who would have thought that bullet casting is a reason to stay in shape?

billnconnie
10-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the replys,
If I can remember the ? I will try to reply, no Connie doesn't shoot.
I also saw the 6 cavity mold but didn't bid on it.
There are several # 130 mold for sale, which is 185 gr. are they as good as the 68?
Thanks again, Bill

johnho
10-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Bill, I'm fairly new to casting too and I have tried to buy only H&G molds, mostly from Ebay. Have never been disappointed. I think you did ok with the purchase. I have a 6c 68 and love it. the 130 is a great bullet also. I don't think you'll ever regret the H&G molds if you stay with a good seller.

I just picked up a Saeco from Ebay and I would definetly buy those also. I have never tried Lee or Lyman. The guys on this site have helped me tremendously and they are always helpful. As in politics, they may not always agree but it is great to read the discussions.

billnconnie
10-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Just wanted to say that I haven't bought the mold yet, but this discussion sure is leading in that direction.
By the way, I've been using a lee 200swc tumble lube mold with some OK results.
Shot some of the 68 type bullets the other day and was shocked at the difference in accuracy. 2 inches at 50 yds which is what I was getting with the Lee TL mold, at 25 yds.
Thanks Bill

Texasflyboy
10-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Welcome friend. If you're buying from a guy whose screen name is starreloaderparts or something like that you're getting a new mould with no handles. This guy apparently has all the old stock for H+G. His prices are high, but an H+G is quite a mould. You'd pay more for a single cavity Steve Brooks or Hoch mould these days.

His user name is: star0reloader0mentors ...and he isn't selling Hensley & Gibbs Bullet molds. He is trying to sell old stock SAECO (Santa Anita Engineering Company) Bullet molds from way back when.

His tactic...as with many others...is to cleverly use "H&G" or "Hensley" or "Hensley & Gibbs" in his description in order to get more of a draw for his auctions. The goal here is to compare what I (IMHO) consider to be a lesser product to a superior one (SAECO Molds to Hensley & Gibbs).

I called him on this last year when he started, mainly because we have done business in the past. I got a rambling email on how Hensley & Gibbs was a backyard operation with poor quality control, poor design, etc...etc...etc...

Which made me wonder why he used them in comparison on his auction...

Like the old TV commercials for Buick....

Drives like a CADILLAC....
Looks like a CADILLAC....
Smells like a CADILLAC...
Rides like a CADIALLAC....

but the implied message to me was that it wasn't a Cadillac. Always wondered why GM ran that commercial...But I think you get my point. He is selling SAECO molds, but for some reason (quality perhaps) he chose H&G to compare his molds against....

But back to the molds...I have owned many SAECO molds. I now own zero. I sold them all when through time and patience I discovered that Hensley & Gibbs molds were the best on the market, and when you can, one should always use the best tools one can afford. And H&G molds are clearly the best out there.

I do own many Lyman molds, because, for the price, you cannot beat their single cavity hollow point molds. And, some of their designs are more faithful that others (the Lyman 429421 new version for example).

Regarding mold prices...A new 4 cavity Hensley & Gibbs Bullet mold sold new, with handles for $135.00 in 1994. 6 Cavity for about $175.00 in 1994.

I have been known to pay more than double those amounts for NIB H&G molds. And I consider it to be a good deal.

And fish4bugs is right, my proxy bid on that lightweight .44 mold was over $200 if I recall. But the computer crashed and I lost the opportunity to bid on that auction. Some you win, some you lose... :)

You will never reget buying a Hensley & Gibbs bullet mold. They last and last and last and bullets drop from those finely machined cavities like peas from hulls...

Just my .02

PDshooter
10-12-2005, 01:06 AM
YOU STOLE IT!
I paid $190+ back in the late 90s for a H&G68 6 cavity mold!
Good deal! :smile: