PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold woes

marshhawk
07-19-2015, 02:32 PM
I have a lee 2 cavity 105 gr. swc mold, it will cast perfect bullets in the 2nd. cavity, the 1st. cavity will not fill out the driving band shoulder, I have leemented then cleaned in white gas, I have tried Kroil, I have smoked the cavitys, I have tried different temp's and varied my pour rate, any suggestion, I get 1 perfect bullet and one with the shoulder not complete, I need some suggestions please.
Marshhawk

sigep1764
07-19-2015, 02:51 PM
I've had a cavity like that before. Was very frustrating. To fix it, or work around it, I held the sprue plate as close to the bottom pour spout as possible and poured it just on the side of the funnel on the sprue plate. the idea was to help air escape the cavity to allow it to fill out. Give it a try if you haven't already.

bangerjim
07-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Mold is not vented properly on that 2nd cavity. Use pressure casting. Works for me every time!

banger

matrixcs
07-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Is the cavity with the issue the first or last poured? I clean my molds with "simple green" when cold, no smoke add lube to hinge points then cast.. If you always pour in the same direction you may be missing one variable in the detective work..

marshhawk
07-19-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the input, I have been pouring front to back, then back to front, I have been pressure pouring, I think venting may be the answer, thank you all for your suggestions!
Marshhawk

Ben
07-19-2015, 03:28 PM
A venting problem.

Sprue plate is too tight, air cannot escape.

bedbugbilly
07-19-2015, 03:46 PM
I ladle pour. That particular 2 cavity mold runs well for me but I do try and keep the sprue plate "looser" - for want of a better mold. It has a tendency to loosen away with use on my mold. That pill is pretty small so it needs good venting or else it seems to freeze off too quickly - and mine needs to be up to temperature and stay there to drop 'em right.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-19-2015, 03:52 PM
I'd break the top edges of the cavity side of the mold halves with a fine file, I use a diamond grit hone. It makes for a great vent.

marshhawk
07-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Thank you, Ben, Bedbugbilly and Jon B , I have been trying to keep the sprue plate tight, I thank you all for your input, I will check and address venting!
Marshhawk

woody2
07-20-2015, 02:13 AM
Call Lee. (262) 673 3075. I did when I had a problem with one of their molds. They told me to send it in and they would take care of it. A week and a half later a new mold arrived in the mail. Lee stands behind their products.

marshhawk
07-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Thank You all for your suggestions!
Marshhawk

Frank V
07-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Call Lee. (262) 673 3075. I did when I had a problem with one of their molds. They told me to send it in and they would take care of it. A week and a half later a new mold arrived in the mail. Lee stands behind their products.

I think that is what I would do if I had a Lee mould that just wouldn't fill out one cavity.
Please let us know what you do.
Thanks.