PDA

View Full Version : When and why aluminum Hollywoods?

beeser
07-19-2015, 10:59 AM
HGS is correct, I've got a bit of the Hollywood bug. There seems to be so many configurations of the Hollywood loaders that it's difficult to get a handle on what was made. One of the many questions bouncing around in my head is when did aluminum replace cast steel frames? Also, are the reasons for the change to lower production and shipping costs?

Pressman
07-19-2015, 09:15 PM
beeser you ask a very interesting question. Aluminum was the "in" metal in the early 1950's. It was used for a lot of reloading tools that would have been better made in cast iron. But it was light, cheap and easy to machine.
In Hollywoods situation shipping the big, heavy Universal press was costly.

Phil Sharp reports in his 1953 edition that he had recieved an aluminum Hollywood Universal for review. He also said the Hollywood was going to switch to all aluminum at that point. That does not appear to be exactly correct judging from the number of Steel/Iron presses vs the number of aluminum seen today. Remember that the Senior was just two years old in 1953. The powder measures did change to aluminum then back to cast iron with the third edition.

It is very possible that both steel and aluminum presses were made at the same time.

I have early literature and late literature but nothing from the mid to late 50's. The literature, not ads, should provide an answer.

Ken