PDA

View Full Version : Gunshow 22LR ammo

Artful
07-19-2015, 02:37 AM
Well, bit the boolit and bought 1 brick (500) of Aguila 40 grn subsonic at the gunshow today and it cost $47+tax 'cuz it was a local company - irks me but I need to replace what I done shot up.

Was cheaper than the $60 price at another table :veryconfu

GhostHawk
07-19-2015, 08:24 AM
I have actually been seeing price for .22lr slip a little this month. For over a year the best gunbot price for .22lr was 9 cents ea. Lately I have seen 8 and even 7 cents. I don't believe it will ever totally drop back to prices we used to see. But I would not be surpised to see 6 cents a round this year yet. I don't think it will drop much below that, simply too much demand.

smkummer
07-19-2015, 09:16 AM
I have been told by a Cabella's employee, that it is almost always on the shelf now. I don't know if its the bulk 22 but in the Louisville area, it was about a nickel to .06 for bulk. I am down to my last 1500 rounds so I will probably shoot the old stuff before I replenish. This sure lasted a long time and its about time the craziness subsided!

rancher1913
07-19-2015, 09:41 AM
stoped in a gun store in greeley the other day and was surprised to find a huge pile of 22lr. crates, bricks, and individual. must have been several hundred thousand rounds sitting there. asked the price---90 bucks a brick of 500. its still sitting in their store.

SeabeeMan
07-19-2015, 10:28 AM
stoped in a gun store in greeley the other day and was surprised to find a huge pile of 22lr. crates, bricks, and individual. must have been several hundred thousand rounds sitting there. asked the price---90 bucks a brick of 500. its still sitting in their store.

Wow, I thought my LGS was a little bit gouge-y at $45/500. I've been pretty fortunate to land a fair amount online at no more than 6-7 cents each. I have two kids who are going to be hitting their shooting years at some point soon and while I didn't expect it to continue that long, I'd hate to find out 22LR was a thing of the past right when they are looking to shoot piles of it.

imashooter2
07-19-2015, 10:53 AM
I've bought over 8,000 rounds in the last year, all at brick and mortar stores and haven't paid over 6 cents a round. Federal Champion, Winchester M-22 and CCI SV.

Yeah, .22 isn't as easy to come by as it used to be, but it is still out there.

Mauser48
07-19-2015, 11:27 AM
At my gunshows its $75 a brick.

Hardcast416taylor
07-19-2015, 01:02 PM
There`s a "bucket-of-bullets" on an online auction near me right now at $126, there also is 2 bricks of Blazer ammo going for $96. The auction ends tomorrow night.Robert

Denver
07-19-2015, 08:43 PM
I just bought a 500 round brick of CCI standard velocity 22 LR from my dealer for $40.00. He said his cost was $36.75 a brick. Haven't seen any SV ammo for sale in a couple years. He also had CCI 22 short in 100 round boxes @ $12, but didn't say what his cost was for those. Seems like the manufacturers are hosing the buyers as much as some retailers.

Avery Arms
07-19-2015, 10:22 PM
People are going to charge what they can get, if you are willing to overpay for something then you are causing your own problem and have nothing to complain about. .22's are still expensive because they are (relatively) cheap and buyers can afford to continue this foolishness. If .22 buyers would just STOP paying insane prices then the going rate would drop just as fast as everything else (AR's, magazines, centerfire ammo, silver) did.

Most of the people burning up .22's could do just as well with airguns for $5-10 per 500 shots.

Hawks Feather
07-19-2015, 10:34 PM
The lowest price at Camp Perry for CCI standard velocity was $42.80 which included tax. One of the club members bought a case and was selling them to members for what he paid for them.

TXGunNut
07-19-2015, 11:36 PM
I truly believe that 22lr will someday come back down to something reasonable but I also know that if ammo continues to sell for silly prices we will continue to see silly prices.

Tackleberry41
07-20-2015, 12:47 AM
I just bought a 500 round brick of CCI standard velocity 22 LR from my dealer for $40.00. He said his cost was $36.75 a brick. Haven't seen any SV ammo for sale in a couple years. He also had CCI 22 short in 100 round boxes @ $12, but didn't say what his cost was for those. Seems like the manufacturers are hosing the buyers as much as some retailers.

Seems to about be the going price. I have been picking up some of the CCI standard velocity stuff if they get it in. Never see it in bricks, a little under $5 for a box of 50, they had the larger plastic boxed 100 packs for around $8.95 at one time. Anything other than cheap bulk was always a little bit more. I can walk in and buy 100rd bags of various brands of bulk stuff for about $5. Teh standard velocity stuff is a bit more premium so costs more.

But I know some places are still trying to charge stupid amounts of money for 22. I don't them selling any of it, nor the overpriced stuff at gunshows. Seems like their losing money as it has to be moved and stored alot, with 0% profit. More reasonable price the might actually sell some it.

dlbarr
07-20-2015, 12:54 AM
Years ago, I made a habit of buying a brick every so often @ $10....that was awhile back, of course, when $10 was alot more money that it is today. Since my primary .22 is a Remington 510 single shot, I still have a fairly good supply of the stockpile I put together.

Later on, I found a guy that had inherited, among other things, a gob of .22 ammo from his dad's estate. He "just want[ed] to get rid of it" so I picked that up for about .015 per round. I think I have a supply of something like 12k or close. I'm thinking this should get me to the grave as long as I don't use the 10-22 with high capacity magazines.

It is unfortunate that after the "shortage", the market still is commanding ridiculous prices for this stuff. Think I saw a 25lb bag of #7-1/2 shot for $60 (?) at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day. Crazy....

gtgeorge
07-20-2015, 07:27 AM
I have been ordering it at Cabellas the last few weeks as it ships to store free. Can only order a box at a time but I waited to pick them up until all were there waiting on me. @ 6-7¢ ea. for Federal match. Anything higher I leave on the shelves and try hold off at 6¢.

dragon813gt
07-20-2015, 09:47 AM
People are going to charge what they can get, if you are willing to overpay for something then you are causing your own problem and have nothing to complain about. .22's are still expensive because they are (relatively) cheap and buyers can afford to continue this foolishness. If .22 buyers would just STOP paying insane prices then the going rate would drop just as fast as everything else (AR's, magazines, centerfire ammo, silver) did.

Most of the people burning up .22's could do just as well with airguns for $5-10 per 500 shots.

Bingo :)

I can't tell you the last time I bought some. And during the warmer months we usually shoot a brick a week. I refuse to pay the current rate. I'm not that foolish because I don't "need" it at the moment. My stock has been severely depleted. But like all things AR I foresee the prices going back to what they used to be. When that happens I will buy case lots like I always do. In the mean time I have a bunch of rifles in 223/5.56 and handguns that can be loaded down to 22lr levels.

Huffmanite
07-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Have been to 4 or so gun shows in my area over the last few months. Dealers there have a fair amount of various 22 ammo to sell and I always take a glance at the prices and keep on walking. Haven't shot any of my semi-auto 22 rifles at range for quite awhile now. Have a few single shot 22 rifles I occasionally take to range to enjoy shooting, but limit number of rounds I shoot with them.

Springfield
07-20-2015, 12:12 PM
I'll bet most gun shops don't buy from the factory but from a distributor, and I'll bet they are the guys keeping the prices high, not the factory.

mold maker
07-20-2015, 02:00 PM
When it becomes more common, on more shelves, the hysterical buying will cease, at exorbitant prices. This will lower the average price, barring another scare or gov intervention.
When gougers can't sell at huge profits, they will stop buying.
It's called supply and demand, period.

Hardcast416taylor
07-20-2015, 02:40 PM
And people laughed at me for buying so many bricks and trays of .22 ammo 20 years back!Robert

tygar
07-20-2015, 07:45 PM
I've been buying them from Midway, Natchez & a couple others at $25-30 m/l per brick for quite a while. You just have to be on the puter when the in stock email goes out & jump cause they can be gone in a couple minutes.

I just keep a few things in the cart of the dealers so when 22s come up I can pick up stuff I want & amortize the shipping.

kens
07-20-2015, 08:20 PM
And people laughed at me for buying so many bricks and trays of .22 ammo 20 years back!Robert
Yeah, me too !!
But if you think about it, 20 years ago it was $15 per brick of 500.
Think how many times over the cost of economy has doubled.
When .22's were $15/brick, gas was .90 gallon.
Bread was 1.09
Beer was $4/6pack.
So the .22's today are about as much inflated as gas, bread, and beer.

birddog
07-20-2015, 10:28 PM
Yea the bricks are not on the shelves yet but they will be and no not at the $9 a brick we saw yrs back. But they will be there and we will buy them and we will shoot them and this just keeps going round and round.
Charlie

TXGunNut
07-20-2015, 11:36 PM
I still have a few $9 bricks on the shelf, pretty sure I haven't paid over $20/500. I don't shoot much 22 but sometimes, like after supper at the Whittington Center, there's no substitute for a little rimfire action.

Hardcast416taylor
07-21-2015, 12:16 PM
There`s a "bucket-of-bullets" on an online auction near me right now at $126, there also is 2 bricks of Blazer ammo going for $96. The auction ends tomorrow night.Robert

The pail went for $136, the 2 bricks went for $101. There is a 3% fee added besides our 6% sales tax to the final sum.Robert

Artful
07-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Yes, I remember bulk pack High Velocity that I bought at 7.90 per brick and cheaper
- the subsonic / stardard / target velocity ammo is what I don't have as much of as I'd like so I purchase one periodically because I use up a brick up

kens
07-24-2015, 07:46 AM
A long time ago, in a far away place, the local big box store ran an ad for .22's $15/case.
I knew they meant $15/brick.
I took the newspaper ad to that store and got a $15/case of 5000.
Some things will NEVER happen again.

snowwolfe
07-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I will continue to be part of the "problem". Several of my rimfires love Blazer and CCI SV so I will continue to pay up to $50 a brick.
The small extra cash I will spend gives me piece of mind that I can shoot these guns when I want to.

srtolly
07-24-2015, 10:08 AM
I'm down to a couple thousand rounds. All my .22lr guns seem to like different ammo. Kinda funny, four of the are Marlin/Glenfield model 60s.

Hardcast416taylor
07-24-2015, 11:50 AM
A long time ago, in a far away place, the local big box store ran an ad for .22's $15/case.

Sounds like the mistake ad I made out on about 25 years ago. A gunshop had mailed out a flyer on a sale of their new and used firearms they had. It was printed in small print due to the number of guns listed. I read all the list and stopped short on one that read "Weatherby Mk 5 new in box - $275!". I beat feet to the shop to buy this rifle. I was met with an arguement about that being a misprint and was then void. I said I would write a letter to the editor of the local paper about how you don`t honor the prices in your ads. I went home with a new Weatherby Mk 5 in .300 Weatherby caliber still in the box for the ad price plus tax of course. Robert

montana_charlie
07-24-2015, 02:05 PM
As the ads (at the top of this page) cycle, one from Cabellas keeps popping up.
It shows CCI MiniMag at nine bucks per box of 100.
I have looked into it a few times over the last week or so, and they always seem to have some to sell.

Clay M
07-25-2015, 10:12 AM
I bought some Norma Tac match ammo.
It runs about $60 a brick, and is readily available. I will only use it in my target rifles..
Wish I had the old Rem 40x that I grew up shooing.

dtknowles
07-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Are you so poor that you enjoy taking advantage of other peoples mistakes? I guess it is alright (not really) because it was a big box store, would you do this to the local mom and pop gun shop. You seem to be proud of your behavior.

Tim

dtknowles
07-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Sounds like the mistake ad I made out on about 25 years ago. A gunshop had mailed out a flyer on a sale of their new and used firearms they had. It was printed in small print due to the number of guns listed. I read all the list and stopped short on one that read "Weatherby Mk 5 new in box - $275!". I beat feet to the shop to buy this rifle. I was met with an arguement about that being a misprint and was then void. I said I would write a letter to the editor of the local paper about how you don`t honor the prices in your ads. I went home with a new Weatherby Mk 5 in .300 Weatherby caliber still in the box for the ad price plus tax of course. Robert

Are you so poor that you enjoy taking advantage of other peoples mistakes? You seem to be proud of your behavior. I guess some people are poor because they won't screw someone over for personal gain. My guess is you support Trump.

Tim

jcwit
07-25-2015, 02:19 PM
I have more .22's than I'll ever use, but with that said I've switched to Air rifles and pistols.. I've bought 6 so far in the last month, shot a few tins of pellets.

montana_charlie
07-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Are you so poor that you enjoy taking advantage of other peoples mistakes? You seem to be proud of your behavior.
I found a twenty dollar bill, once, and made no effort to find out who dropped it.
Do you wish to upbraid me, too?
Have you really reached that level of perfection?

jcwit
07-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Are you so poor that you enjoy taking advantage of other peoples mistakes? You seem to be proud of your behavior. I guess some people are poor because they won't screw someone over for personal gain. My guess is you support Trump.

Tim

I sure wouldn't even consider what these two have done, and then brag about it, but I do support Trump.

dtknowles
07-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I found a twenty dollar bill, once, and made no effort to find out who dropped it.
Do you wish to upbraid me, too?
Have you really reached that level of perfection?

I have returned found money when I had a clue who lost it. I think it brings good karma.

I understand it is easier to return a $20 when keeping it will really not make a difference in my life.

Tim

bgmkithaca
07-25-2015, 04:49 PM
I can remember the local K-MART used to sell CCI mini-mags for 88 cents a hundred, I bought and shot 2 boxes a week for several years at that price. Even better was as a kid a local Drug Store sold Eley shorts for 25 cents a box or 29 cents a box for long rifle-(50 to the box). I burned up about 50 dollars of paper route earnings a summer. Those were the days!

sailsguy
07-28-2015, 11:45 PM
I've noticed more 500 bricks at gun shows, but they're just sitting on the table for the whole show. No one seems to be paying the over $50 or even over $60 prices that are being asked.

hpdrifter
08-08-2015, 09:22 PM
I was at a gun show last weekend. Had tables of cases of 22 lr ammo. I was just standing and looking at the high prices when a fellow asked me if I needed any 22 ammo.

I politely and calmly stated that I hope he chokes on it and walked off.