PDA

View Full Version : Rear peep for 1894 Marlin

JSH
03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Are there any good rear sights out there for the 1894 Marlin? I looked through my Brownells catalogue and looked at the Williams foolproof and the Lyman. Neither listed one for the 1894. I need one that is repeatable and that can be moved around quite a bit. I don't know how much use the aluminum will stand, Williams.
I do have a Lyman that will fit Remington actions that I would trade for a Marlin sight.
Thanks
Jeff

I don't want the large rear ghost ring type.

Rowdy
03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I like these,
http://skinnersights.com/index.html

Lloyd Smale
03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
williams makes an inexpensive top mount peep that uses the back two scope base holes. It looks good and works good

Irascible
03-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I use the regular side mounted receiver sight on my 1894 classic. I did order the one with the target knobs though. Brownells lists the target knobs seperately, also a thumb screw for the gib lock so you don't need a screwdriver when you want to change elevation.
I don't really know about the Williams which fits the rear scope mount screws for the 1894 BUT, I have one like it on my Browning 1885 which works just fine.
I have a Marbles tang on my 1894 Cowboy action rifle and that works fine also, though it is the second one. The first went back to the factory because the staff had a lot of axial play.

Scrounger
03-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Here is THE website for sights. It has all the sights Midway sells and that's about 95% of the sights made. Funny web page, use the arrows to navigate, and the symbols across the top of the page to make it large enough to read (the 4th symbol from the left) or to see 2, 4, or 6 pages on one screen. I don't know what the point of that is, they're so small you cant read them.

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/midwayusa-inc-1854/sights-peep-iron-sights-shotgun-beads-7646/page-2.html

Jon K
03-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Marbles Tang Sight is my choice...........

Jon

JayinAZ
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
The Williams foolproof for the 336 also fits the 1894.

NickSS
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
I have the Williams FP on both my 1894 rifles and they work just fine. If you want a tang sight get a Marbles but it will require drilling a hole in the tang to mount it unless you want to use the sight with one tang screw and a piece of double back tape.

oso
03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
I use the Lyman 66 LA for Marlin 336 and 1894 on my 1894. This is a side mount and fits without modifications, lets me use large target type discs (unlike the top mounts) and doesn't require loosening a lock ring, as the Williams does, for adjustment. It is repeatable and has plenty of adjustment.
Some of the top mounts may require front post height change, they are nice and compact but may not have all the adjustment you want.

EDK
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
I've had LYMAN 66s on MARLIN lever guns since I got the first one in the '70s. In almost 40 years of woodswalking or carrying one in a saddle scabbard, I've had one get damaged...by one of my step sons deer hunting...and I sent it in to LYMAN and got a free replacement. 22s, 357s, a bunch of 44s, and several 1895 models; you've reminded me I need one for the 336 COWBOY 30/30 that I want to start using a little. MIDWAY discounts them on occasion; watch their flyers.

My set up is a LYMAN 66 receiver sight, one of the little folders in the barrel dove-tail, and a #17 front globe with inserts. Use the little folder as a spare...stuff happens! The front sight with the yellow plastic shade and a post works for me in the woods...and I take the aperture out for most "quick and dirty" work.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

imashooter2
03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Only Skinner and XS make a sight that will bolt on to the new manufacture 1894's and not hang off the back of the receiver. The new Williams FP sights and their WGRS will both overhang if you don't drill another hole 1/2 inch in front of the existing rear scope pair. Examples:

WGRS in stock holes
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/WGRS1894.jpg

WGRS with new hole drilled
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/wgrs-c.jpg

The FP overhang is similar.

Scrounger
03-27-2008, 11:43 PM
I think the 1894s are still drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver and both Williams and Lyman make sights which mount using those holes. Your statement is correct for the 336, 1895, and 444.

imashooter2
03-27-2008, 11:56 PM
I think the 1894s are still drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver and both Williams and Lyman make sights which mount using those holes. Your statement is correct for the 336, 1895, and 444.

Nope. The new 1894's only have scope holes drilled. My rifle (the second picture) is a 2001 vintage and they still come that way today.

ETA, the WGRS and FP made for the scope mount holes fit 1895's and 336's without overhang. Those rifles have a longer receiver.

Scrounger
03-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Well, the good news is, the closer your eye is to the aperture, the better for your eye, and for the accuracy.

WyrTwister
03-28-2008, 03:27 AM
I have the Williams FP on both my 1894 rifles and they work just fine. If you want a tang sight get a Marbles but it will require drilling a hole in the tang to mount it unless you want to use the sight with one tang screw and a piece of double back tape.

I have wondered about using the one screw ( Tang Sight ) and the high strength LockTite ? Best I remember you have to heat that stuff to get it to turn loose ?

I would rather not have to drill and tap the rifle , for the second screw ?

These sights come with a longer screw for the existing hole ?

God bless
Wyr

Lloyd Smale
03-28-2008, 05:55 AM
just flip the sight around the other way.
Only Skinner and XS make a sight that will bolt on to the new manufacture 1894's and not hang off the back of the receiver. The new Williams FP sights and their WGRS will both overhang if you don't drill another hole 1/2 inch in front of the existing rear scope pair. Examples:

WGRS in stock holes
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/WGRS1894.jpg

WGRS with new hole drilled
http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/wgrs-c.jpg

The FP overhang is similar.

Lloyd Smale
03-28-2008, 05:56 AM
nope my 44 p isnt drilled

imashooter2
03-28-2008, 07:33 AM
just flip the sight around the other way.

Yeah, that would work, but it looks awful. With the WGRS, you can't put the aperture on from the opposite side as the sight base is in the way. I've seen people mount them on the front scope pair and that works too, but I don't like the looks of that either.

I know some folks don't like to modify their rifles and possibly detract from resale. That's certainly a valid position. But I buy my rifles for shooting and I modify them to suit me. Resale is a matter for my estate.:-D

Dutch4122
03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
I can't say enough good about the Skinner Sight. I have them on all 3 of my Marlins and love them. IMHO they are great!!!!

Duckiller
03-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I have Marble tang sight. Comes with longer screw. Marble is adjustable for windage and elevation , Lyman is supposed to be adjustable for elevation only. Locktite is good use BLUE, screws occasionally do have to be taken out.

Irascible
03-29-2008, 03:11 PM
I shot my 1894 Cowboy in 44 for 2 years using only one screw through the marbles sight. It worked fine. No loctite either! It is also tapped on the side for a receiver sight.
My 336 Cowboy in 38-55 is drilled and tapped on the side as is my 45-70 Cowboy.

WyrTwister
03-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I have Marble tang sight. Comes with longer screw. Marble is adjustable for windage and elevation , Lyman is supposed to be adjustable for elevation only. Locktite is good use BLUE, screws occasionally do have to be taken out.

Is Blue LockTite lesser strength than Red ?

God bless
Wyr

Duckiller
03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
YES! I believe the red LockTite is PERMANENT! or it should only be used on things the you can apply serious heat to. Subject came up at gun store this morning. LockTite company is said to make a solvent design to desolve Locktite of different colors. Only problem is how do you get it down around the threads of small screws, especially ones that fit tight? Blue lockTite is the preferred color for screws that may someday have to be removed. If you use other colors your gunsmith may say unkind things to you and charge you extra for all the fun he will have.

Jon K
03-29-2008, 10:52 PM
All the locktite products will come undone @400*. Apply heat, and watch for it to bubble up.

Jon

DJWright
04-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Cleanest looking rear peep sight so far has been the XS sight. Put one on a couple rifles, one being a Marlin 94C in .45 Colt. Could not be happier. No drilling the side of nthe receiver, just screws into the rear scope mounting holes.

pietro
04-20-2008, 05:40 PM
A lot, about how you need to proceed, depends upon whether your Marlin 1894 is a very new production, or not.

The very latest M-1894's have fallen victim to the bean counters, as Marlin stopped D/T'ing the sides of the receivers for side-mounted peep sights - which means that if your gun is one of those, it'll need to be D/T'd for a side-mount peep (or tang sight), or you'll have to use a top-mount peep.

There's two type of top-mounted peeps - and both utilize the two rear scope mount holes.

The simplest type are made by at least three different manufacturers, Williams WGRS (Williams Guide Receiver Sight), XS Express (XS Sights), and Skinner. These are straightforward, and require only a screwdriver and a higher front sight blade to zero the gun.

The second type is the 2nd generation Williams FP, which mounts in the top holes but is suspended towards the rear of the receiver, just over the hammer, with the sight body to the left side like the older side-mount FP's. This, too, requires just a screwdriver - but you will need a hammer side extension to cock the gun.

If you order a WGRS, an XS, or a Skinner - order one for an 1894.
If you order any FP (new style or old), 5D (side-mount), or Lyman 66 (side mount), the one for the 336 will also fit the 1894, with the hammer issue noted above for the newer FP.

imashooter2
04-20-2008, 09:04 PM
If you order a WGRS, an XS, or a Skinner - order one for an 1894.
If you order any FP (new style or old), 5D (side-mount), or Lyman 66 (side mount), the one for the 336 will also fit the 1894, with the hammer issue noted above for the newer FP.

The WGRS lists that it fits the 1894, but it is made for the 336. It will overhang the receiver (see pictures previous page). Williams does not make a sight that fits the new style 1894 without overhang. The options are XS, Skinner or drill and tap for the Williams or Lyman of your choice.

rmb721
04-20-2008, 09:49 PM
You can mount the sight in the front two holes if you don't like the overhang. The sight is a little farhter away, but you can use an aparture with a larger hole to offset that. Sight radius is a little shorter also.

skeet1
04-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I also have a marble Tang sight on my model 94 Marlin, .44 Mag. This is a great sight.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-21-2008, 09:05 AM
For my .25-20 Marlin Classic, I purchased a very nice Redfield 75 target peep sight. It was mounted in the left side receiver sight holes by drilling two holes in the mounting tang on the sight at the elevation midline to fit the rifle spacing.

I changed out the front sight so the tang sight zeroed at 25 yards with a bead proper for my vision a few clicks off the bottom. It's a 1/4 minute click sight so its was easy to develop comeups for 50-75-100. You would want a good scope, why not a good peep sight?
Honestly that williams overhanging peep for Marlins is poorly designed and a real piece of work(#$%^&), much too expensive for what it is.

BvT

Char-Gar
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
On my 1894 in .357 magnum I had a Lyman 66LA. On my 1894 in 44magnum I have an old Redfield 102. I am happy with both of these sights.

mdatlanta
05-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Maybe one of you guys with a Lyman 66 and Win M-94 carbine can help me...

What height front sight works best with this setup? I don't have the original sights to use as reference/comparison, and I think the original front sight would be too short, anyway. My gun has the ramped front sight base.

Any suggestions?

(sorry for the hi-jack!)

Mike