PDA

View Full Version : Handloader's Digest

beeser
07-18-2015, 04:11 PM
I saw my first copy of Handloader's Digest not long ago in the form of a 4th Edition. Since then I acquired a few more editions and find them all a wealth of information. It's my understanding that it is no longer published. Is there anything else published today to equal it?

Pressman
07-18-2015, 05:16 PM
It is not published on a regular basis. The last one was out a couple of years ago and was really not worth the time or money. Really bad.

Get the 1st edition, it is a gold mine of information. All that followed it are just a silver mine of info.

Ken

skeettx
07-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Yes!!
I have them from #1 to #18, #18 was a waste of time so I no longer bought them anymore
Mike

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Hnadloader%27s+Digest&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.XHandlo ader%27s+Digest.TRS0&_nkw=Handloader%27s+Digest&_sacat=0

Mike

Did a search and #18 may have been the last one published :(

Bad Water Bill
07-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Can you EVER have to many reloading manuals?

IIRC my first one was from Richard Lee followed shortly by one from the know it all Herters brothers and I am still collecting and matching one manual against another.

Welcome to the collectors club.[smilie=s:

Denny303
07-18-2015, 10:37 PM
I have recently acquired a 1st and 6th edition, as well as a 1969 Herters catalog. Ive run into a lot of old equipment here as of late and these books are absolutely priceless when trying to identify some of this older but great stuff.

Bad Water Bill
07-18-2015, 11:03 PM
If you ever come across "YOURS TRULY HARVEY DONALDSON" do not walk RUN to acquire it.

Harvey knew and shot with many of the best in his time and he tells many stories of the bygone days.

What will break your heart is when you read that he had saved each and every letter from the likes of Pope and others.

Upon his death some folks visited the shop and most of the tons of information that bent his many shelves left with them and no one seems to know just who took what or where any of it ended up.

Sad indeed.

JSnover
07-18-2015, 11:08 PM
I can usually find a book store or a gun shop that carries them and I'll leaf through first to see if they're worth it. Gun shows are a pretty good place to look for older editions.

Kevin Rohrer
07-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Handloaders' Digests make great reading. Here are all eighteen (the 18th edition is a travesty). The early ones with Dean Grennell as the editor are the best, but the first seventeen are well worth buying. You can get them for a few dollars each on Ebay.

Mk42gunner
07-18-2015, 11:19 PM
I've had 14 and 17 for years, and just last week bought #12 for a whole dollar. I like the early versions of the ABC's of Reloading by Dean Grinnell better, but they aren't published anymore either, (at least written by him).

Robert

Bent Ramrod
07-18-2015, 11:27 PM
The handloading "scene" just doesn't change as fast as the gun market. Every three or four years was plenty often enough for the Handloader's Digest, but DBI evidently thought they could cash in by making it an annual. Guess not.

They're still valuable references, but turning up the noise ratio only makes them less so.

The Gun Digest Treasuries were another idea they tried to force along too fast. Later ones started exerpting articles from earlier Gun Digest Treasuries instead of culling more good stuff from Gun Digests. I've not seen any new editions of the Treasury in a long time.

bruce drake
07-19-2015, 12:18 AM
Dang you people! I've been quietly collecting the HLDs for a couple of years gleaning the valuable data out of them when I found a good condition edition. I bought the 18th as my first edition and I've been buying them whenever I can find them at a decent price. My earliest is the 4th but aspire to have all 18 eventually in paper versions.

Bruce

Bad Water Bill
07-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Dag nab it "Jar Head",now I am going to have to venture into my secret vault and see just what is still stashed there.:bigsmyl2:

Nueces
07-19-2015, 09:50 AM
I have all 18, collected long before there was a net by searching old book stores and such. I remember drawing to an inside straight while in a French Quarter book store - I had found a #3, the only one of the first eleven I lacked.

The joy and info quality of the handloading genre sunk a bit when Dean Grennell stopped writing. Any of his works, specifically including his ABCs of Reloading are timeless treasures.

Kevin Rohrer
07-19-2015, 08:13 PM
I have an extra of issues-1 & 11 if anyone wants to buy them for a small price.

Pilgrim Sojourner
07-19-2015, 08:55 PM
I would like to purchase your extra copies if you still have them available. Please let me know the cost and payment options.

beeser
07-19-2015, 09:17 PM
Second in line for the 1st issue.

Kevin Rohrer
07-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Pilgrim has first dibs.

bruce drake
07-21-2015, 12:09 AM
Any article by Dean Grennell was good reading. I have his books on the 1911 and the ABCs of Reloaing and both are an invaluable trove of information as well as humor.

Motor
07-21-2015, 01:24 AM
Can you EVER have to many reloading manuals?

IIRC my first one was from Richard Lee followed shortly by one from the know it all Herters brothers and I am still collecting and matching one manual against another.

Welcome to the collectors club.[smilie=s:

That's funny. When I read my Lee manual I get the feeling that Richard was the "know it all".

Motor

EDG
07-21-2015, 01:42 AM
I have a copy of that book but never used it.
I learned to reload reading Handloader Magazine in the late 1960s and the first 15 or 20 years were pretty good.

Bad Water Bill
07-21-2015, 03:02 AM
That's funny. When I read my Lee manual I get the feeling that Richard was the "know it all".

Motor

When I talked to Mr Lee many years ago he said that he and Dean Grenell spent many days casting, testing,reloading and shooting on the Lee Property.

Yes with that background he did know a bunch.

Now if you REALLY want to read stuff by know it alls go to evil bay and find a copy of Herters catalog from around the late 60s then get one of their reloaders manuals.

There you will find many stories by 2 brothers that were so proud of themselves there wasn't a shirt made that would cover their necks,sleeves and have enough material left to go around their over inflated chests and button closed.[smilie=s:

Motor
07-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Bill. I'll have to take your word for it. My biggest complaints with the Lee manual is that the load data SUCKS.

General information wise it's pretty good but Richard does pat himself on the back a lot.

I find the load data to be absolutely useless most of time especially for cast boolits.

Motor