PDA

View Full Version : Couple of BPCR questions

smoked turkey
07-17-2015, 11:34 PM
I have a couple of non-related questions regarding BPCR. I have recently been shooting a 45-120 and would like to know where the plastic cartridge cases for the 45-120 can be obtained? My second question deals with case cleaning after firing. I prefer to knock the old primer out while still at the shooting bench. I take along a plastic milk jug with a soapy water mix for initial cleaning. I have looked for a simple depriming tool but have not found any for the 45-120. How do you deal with depriming in the field where the 45-120 case is concerned? Thanks.

country gent
07-18-2015, 12:04 AM
There are hand depriming tools available that will do this chore quick and easy, or one can be made in the style of a pair of pliers.ITher is the harvey deprimer primer, mechham makes a pope style reprimer deprimer ( I believe this uses standard shell holders even). Check MVA's, Shiloh Sharps, CPA rifles, Buffalo arms company, and meacham hardware. I have one in my mind that uses copper tubing and flat stock that hould be able to be made with simple hand tools. I havent cot around to working a model up yet. A simple J from copper tubingwith the leg as long as needed a end of J filled with a wood plug and 1/4" slot cut thru it and 3/16 piviot hole on center line of tube. 1" aluminum or steel flat stock to form handle Handle is L shped leg is 2" - 3" long handle portin is as long as the tubes long end. A 1/2" round 1" long 1/4 wide slot 1/2" deep and hole for pin. 10 x 24 threaded hole in other end allows mounting of decapping rod. This is attached to handle at same center line as the end of J shaped piece. Materials 3/4" copper tubing. 2 3/4" copper elbows cut one side short to keep as close as possible to beam. a copper ring to fit elbows "short" joint. A very narrow copper ring for inside the end of top elbow ( this makes the "shoulder to push primer out against ). 3/16" round stock. 1/2" X 1" round stock. 1/4" x 1" flat stock. a 1/4" X 1" pin and 3/16"x 1/2" or 1/8"x1/2" pin. CArefull soldering of copper joints and polishing of finished piece should look really nice. In use primers should be caught in tubular handle for disposal later. With this style tool handle is always the same stroke to push primers out. Hope this information helps you out.

rfd
07-18-2015, 05:55 AM
i use a harvey deprimer for depriming at the range, works pretty good and is not caliber specific ...

http://harveydeprimer.com/images/img_9683_338_ac_unibody_l8mu_k9wo_g332_itr3_jr5i.j pg

http://harveydeprimer.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TbbhmgNzGA

BrentD
07-18-2015, 07:55 AM
Smoked, I use J&J slip-top plastic boxes for holding .45-100 loads that are 4.0" OAL. They will easily hold .45-120s also. I buy them at the local gun shop for a few bucks each.

There are lots of depriming tools out there. I bought my first one from a guy in Oklahoma for under $20 years ago. I can't even remember his name, much less his contact info but it is a simple tool that works on any .45 caliber.

You could also make one out of a pair of pliers, though for a long case like the 120, you probably need channel locks.

If you snoop around the buffaloarms.com website, you will probably find something. Also, Rick Morrill, owner of the 310 Shop (googleable) probably has some dies that would work in a Lyman 310 tool, and a Lee handpress would let you deprime with your normal reloading dies.

Brent

Don McDowell
07-18-2015, 09:30 AM
Lee hand press with their universal decapping die , is probably the best solution for that 3 1/4 case. Worst problem with that set up is keeping count on how many cases you've deprimed as the spent primers will fill up the cavity in the ram, and jam the whole deal up. But emptying it after 25-30 cases will keep things running right along.

Lead pot
07-18-2015, 10:04 AM
I have a 310 tool and a pair of pliers with a depriming stem brazed to them. I like the 310 tool and I use it for reloading if I need to when I'm on the road. I had Rick make mine for the .44-77 plus a universal depriming die/stem and a sizing and compression die.
http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm

Jim2
07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
I have an SLM decapping tool, very handy and compact. Distant Thunder Mfg. also makes a small compact tool. Either one costs around $50 +-. They fit easily into your range-box for use at the range after you're done for the day.

country gent
07-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Stopped today on way home from range and picked up some copper tubing and pieces parts to start working on a decapping tool from hardware items ( some may have to be modified a little but will be able to do with all hand tools). Ive got the case head end figured out so that primers are completely contained in the handle so no mess. Deprime your cases and then dump out spent primers into trash. Considering Im using 3/4" tubing and its going to be around 6" long it should hold all the primers from a session no problem. Simple leverage type set up. 1/2" rigid tubing may be better to fit into hand though.

smoked turkey
07-19-2015, 11:50 PM
country gent thanks for the good info on your homemade decapper. I can try to imagine the design from your good description. I am sure it will be a nice looking unit being copper. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say. I would like to see a picture of your prototype as soon as it starts to take shape. Meanwhile I did find a simple steel rod with a decapping pin on the Buffalo Arms web site. They also have the MTM cartridge boxes I am after. I have both in my cart and am thinking what else I might need (or want) prior to sending off the order. I do want to consider making one at some point. I am anxious to see your version. Thanks for all the good input from everyone on my two piddly questions.

4060MAY
07-21-2015, 12:36 PM
I made these in 1991 when I started to shoot BPCR
The top one is made from a decapping/inside expander from a set of dies...turned for 45-70
the bottom one is for 40 cal
the handles are steel tubing from John Deere packing crates...about 1/2" od