PDA

View Full Version : 6" GP100 unfluted cylinder from TALO

tja6435
07-17-2015, 11:06 AM
http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/ruger-gp-100-unfluted

I am thinking about selling a S&W model 66 no dash snubbie to fund this. Gallery of Guns has it for around $680 shipped to a local ffl. This revolver would squash my feeling of need of a .357 Redhawk

dek16001
07-17-2015, 11:22 AM
I'd love one too,but with the quality control problems at Ruger..I think I'm going to wait a bit. Ruger has also starting saying they can't fix problems because of no spare parts. It seems to be isolated to " special" runs for Distributors like Lipseys,talo,ect. Ruger offers a replacement,but it may not be what you originally bought. To trade in a nice Smith without actually "seeing " the new pistol, I would advise against it...on a side note I am a strong supporter of Ruger.

tja6435
07-17-2015, 12:05 PM
144780This is the Smith Model 66 no dash I'm looking at selling to fund the unfluted GP100. As a side note, I've owned several brand new GP100's and never had a problem other than a slightly sticky ejector in the 3" model, that smoothed out after a few hundred rounds. I have also had new 10/22's, 77/357, MKII, P95, Charger and all ran as they should straight out of the box. I actually prefer the trigger staging on the Rugers over the Smith's. This Model 66 had been tuned so the hammer falls just as the cylinder locks up, so I don't shoot it much at all. I do have a Model 27-2 that is a dream to shoot however.

Lefty Red
07-18-2015, 01:20 AM
Sell your plasma and eat PBJs for a month, but don't sell that Smith!!!!! Either of them!!!!!

Jerry

tja6435
07-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Sell your plasma and eat PBJs for a month, but don't sell that Smith!!!!! Either of them!!!!!

Jerry

The Model 66 is listed for sale in the S&S section of this site. I have other snubbie 38/357's that get shot way more. The Model 27 had finish damage when I got it. I reblued it and it is almost flawless now, you'd never know the extent of the damage it had. I don't care for the 66 because it had been tuned, before I got it, to lock up as the hammer falls---I don't care for that and prefer the Ruger trigger staging. I don't want to have the timing work undone, as it is incredibly smooth, so it needs to move on to a guy who'd love it as it is.
Th model 27-2 is a dream to shoot and it will be passed down to one of my boys when they're old enough.

Lefty Red
07-18-2015, 03:03 PM
I think you are keep ing the best one!

tja6435
07-18-2015, 03:16 PM
I know I am. The Model 27-2 is fantastic to shoot. Plus, I put a lot of hours into refinishing the bluing by hand from start to finish. I replaced the grips with a set of walnut finger groove stocks from Badger and it shoots where the front sight is pointed almost by itself. I just replaced the mainspring with a Wolff target power rib spring and it got even smoother. I also went though it and replaced all internal springs and lubed it all with a very light amount of Slipstream grease. I ordered and installed new plate screws as the originals had been buggered up at some point in it's life before I got it. I also did the same w the plate screws on the 66, just one jacked up plate screw will make an otherwise nice Smith look like deuce.

tja6435
07-18-2015, 03:45 PM
144840144841144842These pics show the damage and the same spot on the cylinder after I refinished the bluing. I hadn't finished the frame refinish yet when I took these pics, but it came out as nice as the cylinder did. The frame finish damage was due to someone writing their name on it with an electropen engraver. It was quite a bit more time to fix than the cylinder.
This 27-2 has the .500" hammer and .500" grooved target trigger.