PDA

View Full Version : DIY 'Powder Finder'

Ficus
07-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've got a list of websites which I search periodically for powder and I just learned that I can automate the searching somewhat by incorporating the web links in a spreadsheet or an html document.

Basically, I'm looking only for two powders. Bullseye for 45 Colt and 45 ACP and H-110/W-296 for 357 magnum. I search at a dozen or so websites using the bookmarks or "Favorites" stored by a browser. I was setting up a spreadsheet to keep powder data and learned that I can copy a bookmark from the browser to a cell in the sheet and clicking on it takes me to the website.

Not exactly rocket science but now all I have to do is open the spreadsheet and click on one of several cells. And I can easily send y'all the link collection as a single document.

So I'm uploading my collection of links as a spreadsheet [*.ODS format for OpenOffice or LibreOffice] and an html document which opens in a browser. I see the filetypes are not on the list of allowed filetypes so I've 'zipped' them and am uploading the ZIP archive. If this doesn't work, I'll probably need help from moderators to upload them.

I use LibreOffice and Firefox on a linux 'box. I can export the spreadsheet in other formats if someone'd like.

These represent works in progress and any help is appreciated in making them better. I'll be glad to collect your links to powder sources in one sheet and re-post.

Y'r ol' Bud,

Ficus

Ficus
07-17-2015, 09:26 AM
I should also say that the links do not lead you to specific powders, only to the "powder" page of each dealer. So if anyone is concerned that they'll be led only to H-110 and Bullseye, this is not the case.