PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Modified Case…

BCB
07-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know the tread size in the base of these cases?...

Thanks…BCB

Nueces
07-16-2015, 09:04 AM
I know it's not a standard or off-the-shelf size. Some years ago, at a SHOT Show, I talked with the designer of the system. This was before Hornady bought him out. He used an odd thread size to limit buyer's ability to make their own cases.

It's something like 5/16x24. Can't locate it in my notes. Gonna have to make a tap.

BCB
07-16-2015, 09:17 AM
I know it's not a standard or off-the-shelf size. Some years ago, at a SHOT Show, I talked with the designer of the system. This was before Hornady bought him out. He used an odd thread size to limit buyer's ability to make their own cases.

It's something like 5/16x24. Can't locate it in my notes. Gonna have to make a tap.

Thanks...

If it is 5/16x24, I have that tap--that doesn't seem to be a strange size? But maybe I'm just lucky to have that tap...

Thanks...BCB

Nueces
07-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Then I betcha that ain't it! You could hold your tap up against the male thread of the device and find out.

jmorris
07-16-2015, 11:11 AM
It is 5/16-36

You can buy a tap here.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT2?PARTPG=NNSRAR2&PMPXNO=1735758

You will also need a K or I drill bit.

Or you could thread the cases 5/16-24 and just make another rod.

BCB
07-16-2015, 03:22 PM
It is 5/16-36

You can buy a tap here.

I have found one locally but it is a bottom tap...

I wonder if I will be able to get it started into the case since it has no taper?...

Thanks...BCB

bullet maker 57
07-18-2015, 03:00 PM
I have the proper tap and drill.

BCB
07-18-2015, 03:35 PM
I ordered a tap that has a tapered end so it should start O.K.

But, the problem may be getting the hole drilled into the primer pocket. I don't know if a drill press will work or not...

I don't know if the case will be held tight enough for the press to do its thing. I suspect a lathe would be the tool of choice...

I would like to make one for the 6.8 SPC as Hornady wants 2 cases and $15. But, maybe that is a fair price...

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Thanks...BCB

lightman
07-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Thats a fair price. I paid more than that for my tap. Its since paid for itself, but it was expensive being an odd size. A drill press should work ok, but I used a lathe.

BCB
07-22-2015, 10:13 AM
It is 5/16-36

You can buy a tap here.

I got the tap from a local tool supplier. We checked and rechecked the drill size and several of his charts said "Special". They actually gave no size designation. So, I took an "L" and drilled a couple cases and tapped them--it seems to work O.K...

I don't have a drill press so I put them in a vice. Marred the case a bit, but they still worked. I think a drill press would do a dang near "professional" job...

My friend has the entire Hornady setup so I will need to try a couple of the cases I made to see if they will work. They will chamber so I assume they might work...

If they do, then I can just buy the Hornady part that screws into the case. I will make at least 1/2 dozen different cases so I will be pretty much ahead of the game--maybe...

Thanks...BCB

1980Harley
07-22-2015, 01:42 PM
I, also used a vise when I was tapping the hole and had marred the casings. So here's what I did: I found some small blocks of wood, drilled a hole in them just about the size of the diameter of the case head. A little larger can be adjusted later. I then used a bandsaw to cut the block in half, right through the center of the hole. I then put the casing in the hole of the block and used that against the faces of the vise. If the case rotates, I just sand one or both sides of the bandsaw cut to make the semicircle smaller. This worked really well in that I can put a substantial amount of pressure on the case head and not mar it in any way.

Nueces
08-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Looky hyar:

http://www.amazon.com/16-HSS-Right-Hand-Thread/dp/B00GU7OV5C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1438451413&sr=8-5&keywords=5%2F16+tap