PDA

View Full Version : H&g molds value

10sandxs
07-16-2015, 12:30 AM
Hi group I have several h&h molds I'm thinking of selling. Any thoughts on the value for the 130 and 68?

Thanks in advanc

lightman
07-16-2015, 06:28 AM
I've been wanting a H&G mold for a long time and would be interested in yours. Look on Ebay, there are usually a few listed under Hensley and Gibbs molds. This is about the only place I have seen them for sale. Prices seem to vary between $60 or so to over $200 for a 4 gang. The prices seem to be all over the place. I missed a matched pair of 4 gangs for $400 awhile back. Still kicking myself over that one! Keep me in mind about yours, please!

georgerkahn
07-16-2015, 06:42 AM
Hi group I have several h&h molds I'm thinking of selling. Any thoughts on the value for the 130 and 68?

Thanks in advanc

There are several sites discussing your query, and I'd suggest you start with http://www.hensleygibbs.com/

I have a few (46) H&G moulds, some of which came from vendors on eBay. Through the years I noted TWO distinctly different sellers: The good casters who need (their age, health issues, or :( financial challenges) shrink their collection. And, those -- many quite ignorant vis moulds -- who ONLY wish to make a quick, huge, buck. (Estate sales, garage sales, and the like as their source.)

I have bought H&G moulds from folks in the 1st group which were fair priced and in good to excellent condition. Sellers in the 2nd group will often wire brush (aka RUIN) the moulds, and generally do not show the mould's cavities too clearly, if at all, in their listing.

Still another issue is the availability of any mould design. To wit, both of yours are quite common and available. You did not indicate number of cavities, and if handles are included.

If you have pristine, handled moulds they should get you a fair amount -- if mine, I'd be hoping for $100 to $120 each. Note the word "hoping", as these are not very rare.

BEST! If you do list them... POST LOTS OF PICTURES!!!

georgerkahn

10sandxs
07-16-2015, 08:01 AM
I guess I'd like to think l I'm in a third catigory, middle aged in good health, but a long time caster that understands the quality of the molds nd treats them appropriatly. I'm a bullseye shooter and these molds belonged to a bullseye guys before me. I have two four cavity 68s and while they both cast exceptional bullets, they were made at different times and as such the nose portion is very slightly different. Not a big deal except that the area that is different is right where it contacts the seating die so each mold produces bullets that seat to different lengths.

I have two 4 cavity 130 molds that were matched in 1985 by h&g. I may still have the letter that came from the company. Possibly the easiest bullet on the planet to cast but it doesn't cut clean holes in the target which makes scoring a bit more difficult. I'm really conflict on even considering selling these. And would never split up the brothers.

I also have a 4 cavity 38 full wad cutter that I use so infrequently that I don't remember the mold designation for it.

As I only use one 68 mold and never use the 38 mold I'd like to let someone else have the pleasure of a h&g mold. Am not trying to make a fast buck, but want to get a fair price for them as well.
I'll post some pictures, but it may be several weeks as my oldest son and I are leaving for a three week boyscout hiking trip in the mountains outside of cimmaron NM and I seem to be woefully unprepared. Good thing on just a scout dad, and not a scout.

Thanks for the input

bhn22
07-16-2015, 01:35 PM
The market appears to be a bit soft on certain H&G moulds lately. Two four cavity 38 wadcutter moulds sold for $75.00 ea a few months back, and 130s don't seem to bring top dollar anywhere. Everybody seems to want the 68s, but they are also available new from other makers too, and that may affect the pricing for people looking for "user" grade moulds.

skeettx
07-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Been thinking about selling these, just can NOT seem to pull the trigger

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-027S19.JPG

BUT saw this and it will make using them easier :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1bp8Cl3L8A

Mike

lightman
07-16-2015, 05:47 PM
It sounds like you are going to Philmont! Have a good trip. Sending you a PM.

bhn22
07-16-2015, 06:51 PM
Geez Mike, you made my hands shake with that last pic.

10sandxs
07-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Yup, off to philmont, first time. Nervous about 70 miles in 10 days with a 50lb pack... been working out though.