PDA

View Full Version : 'Nuther Levergun Followed Me Home!

TXGunNut
07-15-2015, 11:48 PM
Heard rumblings about an early Winchester 94 30-30 in a Short Rifle from a collection containing several Winchester rifles and a few Colt SAA's. Got a glimpse of it Monday but it wasn't a good day for me or the guy in the GS, 14 day hold hadn't run yet so it was just as well. Hold ended today so I hurried down there for another look. There was something I didn't like about it and the salesman said he didn't think it was actually a genuine Short Rifle, probably one converted to look like one. The 20" octagonal bbl looked a bit newer than the rest of the gun (1923?) and the salesman said the magazine dovetail looked a little suspect to him. I don't know, it just wasn't what I was looking for. Looked over a few other leverguns, including a Marlin 94 in 32-20 that has caught my eye more than once before. Saw a nice enough 1950 vintage safe queen 94 in 30-30 but it had an ugly case of road rash and an ugly gash in the butt stock. I may have been able to steam out the dent and fix the road rash but it was priced too high for the condition, IMHO. Other problem was that it was not D&T'd for either a receiver or tang sight, that would make it difficult for me to shoot.
And then :shock: a 94 at the back of the case caught my eye. I've been thinking for awhile my little collection needed a clean pre-64 in 30-30. Of all my leverguns I simply don't have the quintessential classic levergun. I was hoping the Short Rifle would scratch that itch but it didn't. The rifle from the back of the case certainly was a lot closer to what I was looking for. A 1962 vintage is a bit newer than what I had in mind but it was tight and smooth in all the right places. It is probably a 95% gun but I'd call it a strong 90% because it's not quite as nice as the guns I feel deserve the 95% grade I give them. I played it cool enough to get $50 off but it was priced reasonably so it was going home with me anyway. ;-)
No pics, at least for tonight. It's late, I'm tired and she's just another very nice pre-64 94.

propwashp47
07-16-2015, 01:15 AM
every lever gun is a law unto itself but one law to rule them all you can never have too many, enjoy your new load on Monday and shoot all week.

timtheartist
07-16-2015, 02:03 AM
I'm not a lever gun collector, yet. I've always admired them. What is it about "pre 1964" with Winchesters?

MrWolf
07-16-2015, 06:38 AM
My son and I went to the range Monday morning and shot a few of my Marlin levers in 45/70, 45lc, 30-30, 32-20. The old 32lc was having issues loading that I have to look at. The other levers were stuck in the safe jealous :bigsmyl2:. Think I like levers to much?

lobogunleather
07-16-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm not a lever gun collector, yet. I've always admired them. What is it about "pre 1964" with Winchesters?

1964 was a landmark year at Winchester when lots of things were changed. Steel butt plates became plastic butt plates. Machined parts became stamped parts. Just about every aspect of operations moved away from skilled work to mass production, profit over quality. That is why the "pre-64" Winchesters are prized by collectors and knowledgeable riflemen.

northmn
07-16-2015, 02:00 PM
In many ways 1964 was kind of the beginning of the end for Winchester. Another point is that the 32 Special was dropped in 1963. Claimed lack of sales, but if they are not made they are not sold. Mostly a production shortcut. Model 70's were also cheapened. Remington was able to make the transition and their 870 pump is a kind of a standard, but the shortcuts were better engineered. I believe it was about 1970 when Winchester went back to machining parts for the 94. You can see the differences by looking at the cartridge lifter when you work the action. In 64 they were stamped and kind of flimsy. Whether some of the later Winchesters were not made as well a the pre 64 is open to debate, but that fiasco cost them. They are now a more inexpensive line of Brownings.

DEP

TXGunNut
07-16-2015, 09:56 PM

I don't consider myself a collector but I try to examine every nice levergun I see offered for sale and now and then I talk myself into another one, lol.
As northmn explained very well above the collectors have little for use the Winchesters made after 1964. The "posts" are generally excellent shooters with the occasional exception. The guns made just before 1964 often have workmanship issues so I checked this one out pretty carefully.
IMHO the sweetest handling leverguns were made from the late 1890's until the mid 1920's. Some collectors draw a line at 1929, my latest gun in that period was built in 1925 but I tend to think the year 1929 is another landmark worth paying attention to.

timtheartist
07-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys for the historical info. I will keep my eyes open for pre '64

TXGunNut
07-16-2015, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys for the historical info. I will keep my eyes open for pre '64

Don't turn up your nose to the post-64's. If you want a shooter they are a much better value and are almost always good shooters. When you buy a "pre" or vintage Winchester you are paying a collector's premium for a gun that may not perform any better than a more affordable "post" rifle. Until recently most of my leverguns were "post" and all are sweet rifles and shoot quite well for me.

psmokey
07-17-2015, 12:04 AM
There are deals to be made out there. A while back I came across 3 94s a pair of 32s and a 30-30. 2 49s and a 1951 . The guy was not happy that he couldnot find ammo for the 32s. Long story short I walked away with all three. All very good shape and was well taken care of. He said the 32s haven't been shot in 15-20 years. The 30-30 has some ware but not abuse . The 32s were in what I would call 90-95 % range. Pick them up (all three ) for 7. I guess it pays to reload.:bigsmyl2:

Phil

huntrick64
07-17-2015, 11:03 AM
NORTHMN "Another point is that the 32 Special was dropped in 1963. Claimed lack of sales, but if they are not made they are not sold."

I recently bought a Win 94 in 32 spl. The S/N indicates it was made in 1964. Are you sure they dropped them in 1963?

Not challenging you, I just don't know.

TXGunNut
07-17-2015, 08:58 PM
NORTHMN "Another point is that the 32 Special was dropped in 1963. Claimed lack of sales, but if they are not made they are not sold."

I recently bought a Win 94 in 32 spl. The S/N indicates it was made in 1964. Are you sure they dropped them in 1963?

Not challenging you, I just don't know.

I had one that was built in 1968. There was also a (commemorative?) run of them in the mid-1990's. Most I've seen were made before 1960 must admit I haven't made a careful study of when the 32 Spl ceased to be a production item.

45-70 Chevroner
07-17-2015, 11:13 PM
I had one that was built in 1968. There was also a (commemorative?) run of them in the mid-1990's. Most I've seen were made before 1960 must admit I haven't made a careful study of when the 32 Spl ceased to be a production item.

I bought one of the those in the mid 90's it had a 16" barrel and the John Wayne loop, sure wish I had kept it. I also had my grandfather's pre 64 in 32 W Special at the time and decided I didn't need two. Two years ago I gave the pre 64 to my grandson.

TXGunNut
07-18-2015, 02:30 PM
A buddy bought the mid-90's 32 I referred to earlier. Never could get it to shoot but he wasn't a reloader, much less a caster.
Started cleaning my latest 30-30 today and before I started the bore looked much better with my bore light. (note to self, bring my own bore light next time!). Powder fouling pretty much gone and will go after the copper this afternoon. Wood needs a gentle cleaning and maybe a touch of Tru-oil. The action could use a light cleaning and a little lube, otherwise feels almost like a new gun. This old girl has all the characteristics of a rifle that was (carefully) carried a lot and shot very little. Only wear on the metal is near the muzzle and at the front lower end of the receiver. Seems to be cleaning up quite nicely. Will probably have to shoot it tomorrow just for grins.

TXGunNut
07-18-2015, 05:14 PM
OK, got her cleaned up. She's nothing fancy, just a nice clean little carbine. Tiny bit of surface rust but that's gone now. Definitely a keeper.

Scharfschuetze
07-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Glad you found a nice piece of Winchester history TxGunNut. While Post-63 Winchesters often shoot as well or even better sometimes than the Pre-64s shoot; when you compare the quality of their finish, metal and fitting between the two genre, it is instantly noticeable which is which.

I hope it shoots as well as it looks!

TXGunNut
07-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks, had hoped to shoot it today but shooting buddy cancelled and quite honestly I need to be doing other things today.

TXGunNut
07-26-2015, 10:37 PM
I guess that shouldn't surprise me, most Winchesters are. Chamber throat was a little tight and my old RD boolits were a bit difficult to chamber. No worries, I got in on the NOE GB of the excellent frnkeore 310-164 boolit so I'll give it a try, may even have a few loaded up around here somewhere. The semi-buckhorn sights gave me fits but I don't think I'll put receiver sights on this one. :| I think I'll just keep this one around for eye candy and an occasional range trip.