PDA

View Full Version : 22 Hornet lore (Shooting & Fishing, Oct 1906)

ohland
07-15-2015, 08:14 PM
Shooting and Fishing, vol 40, No 26, Oct 4, 1906
https://books.google.com/books?id=OZYwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA509&dq=%22iron+ramrod%22+hornet&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAGoVChMI1PnZ36zexgIVFDKICh0vew1q#v=on epage&q=%22iron%20ramrod%22%20hornet&f=false

In this connection, as a matter of past history, we would state that over ten years ago, with Reuben Harwood, known to our readers as Iron Ramrod, we developed the .22—20 Hornet cartridge.

Our idea was similar to that outlined by Mr. Newton—-to obtain maximum killing power and accuracy in a small bore rifle, with a minimum recoil. We used a .25-20 shell reduced at the muzzle to .22. A long series of experiments resulted in this conclusion, that with black powder 22 grains would give unaccountables at times, in spite of the greatest possible care in loading, etc. The results obtained by Mr. Newton lead us to believe that a soft point, jacketed .22 bullet with a smokeless powder load, will add much to the efficiency of all .22 center fire rifles. Such a bullet, with a cupro-nickel jacket, we believe, if produced by our ammunition manufacturers, would prove a complete success.

EDITOR.

Guns, Ammunition and Tackle, MACMILLAN COMPANY, NY Sept. 1904 -page 248
https://books.google.com/books?id=G5ECAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA248&dq=%22iron+ramrod%22+hornet&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAWoVChMI1PnZ36zexgIVFDKICh0vew1q#v=on epage&q=%22iron%20ramrod%22%20hornet&f=false

When Mr. Harwood (" Iron Ramrod ") designed the .22 Hornet cartridge, he found that the usual twist of one turn in 14 in. was too slow for the .63-gr. bullet, but that in a twist of one turn in 12 in. it shot steadily. The .63-gr. bullet was .66 in. and measured .23 in. in diameter, or almost 2.9+ cal. long. Opposite 2.9 in the table we find 52.72 ; that is, 52.72 x .23 = 12.1 in.

Outdoor Life, vol 42, No 4, Oct 1918 pages 272 and 274
https://books.google.com/books?id=U_I-AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA272&dq=22+hornet+rifle+bullet&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CFgQ6AEwCDgKahUKEwiq6936sN7GAhUCUIgKHbQeAVA#v =onepage&q=22%20hornet%20rifle%20bullet&f=true

Arms and Ammunition Queries
ANSWERED BY CHAS. ASKINS

I have an idea and I’m anxious to know what results would obtain by following it out. Would it be possible to neck down the .2520 Winchester cartridge to .22 caliber and use this cartridge in a made-over Model '92 Winchester rifle, that is, have Mr. Peterson of Denver bore the barrel and remodel the action of the rifle, if any is necessary. I would think that this cartridge ought to give good results up to 300 yards—200 yards at least. I would expect about 2000 foot seconds velocity with about 800 foot pounds energy at the muzzle, and a much flatter trajectory than the .25-20 gives at all ranges.

Would it be accurate. I want extreme accuracy. Could I neck down the shells with a die or would I have to have them made and would the shells be apt to burst open at the neck that were resized. What do you think the ballistics would be on this cartridge. Using full loads of Du Pont Military No. 21 and the 70—grain bullet (copper) as made by the Savage people for their .22 H. P.. or the Ideal bullet No. 228367 of 60 grains weight, with gas check—this providing the action can he made to handle such a cartridge. Cbuld a blank barrel be obtained from the factory fitted to the action of the Model ’92 Winchester all ready to be bored? I think the action will handle the cartridge if it isn't too long, and that might be overcome. I would prefer a 21-inch round barrel, half magazine and pistol grip, with a good set of sights.

This ought to make a good outfit for squirrels, chucks, and jackrabblts, with enough power for wolves up to 150 yards. I think such a gun would weigh 695 pounds or thereabouts. What do you think it would cost to have the work done and would I gain enough over the regular .25-20 to be worth while doing it. Have you ever heard of any one doing what I want to with this cartridge, and what results were obtained? Would Capt. K. K. V. Casey of the Du Pont Co. be able to tell me anything of the ballistics of this cartridge—Leo H. Sholts, Cedar Bluffs,
Nebr.

Answer.—I see no reason why you shouldn't carry out your scheme of necking down a .25-20 shell to a .22 caliber and fitting a barrel for it to the Winchester action, if you feellike go ing to the trouble. Precisely this has been done before, the cartridge being known as the .22 Hornet.

This was done a number of years ago in the day of black and semi-smokeless powder, the Stevens company chambering for the cartridge, and fitting the barrel to their single shot action. Some people liked the cartridge and others did not, claiming that it fouled excessively, which it probably would with black powder. The Hornet had a high velocity for that day, 1600 or 1700 feet—all the velocity possible when using hard ened lead bullets. The bullet weighed 56 or 60 grains, and the accurate range was limited, so it was said. However, I think that with smokeless powder and a copper-jacketed bullet the cartridge you have in mind would be very accurate up to 200 yards and beyond. Two thousand feet of velocity should be obtained readily, but I do not know what the pressure would be, and I do not know what pressure the Winchester Model ’92 is intended to withstand.

Pressures would undoubtedly be greater than those developed by the .25-20. You would have to experiment carefully when fitting the cartridge, starting with a low charge and increasing a grain at a time. it wouldn’t do to fill that shell full of powder—neither would that be necessary in order to get 2000 feet of velocity. Less powder should be used with the gas-check bullet than with the Savage jacketed bullet. The shells can be necked down if you can procure the die. They should then be about as strong as new cases made for the cart ridge. They won’t be apt to burst if the chamber fits them snugly, and the pressure you develop is not too great.

I suggest that you consult Mr. A. W. Peterson of Denver about procuring the barrel, die, and etc. The Winchester company might be willing to oblige him where they would pay no attention to an ordinary shooter. He can" give you estimates of costs. The whole thing will undoubtedly cost you more than a new gun, but you will have the fun of carrying out a scheme of' your own. The action will handle the cartridge without change unless the bullet projects too far. I doubt if Major Casey could more than guess at the ballistics, and he may be too busy to do that.—
Editor.

Iron Age, vol 53, Apr 26, 1894, page 826
http://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5QadyXN1zD1hMvH-vFmjrMYX9Hx2PwF8ztn095TcmBCYztpNctbyE5agdueKlE1-keHALmt4gNTQbbkE6SzpnKpm3T8qL4lfQ1OyQ3PJ-ou34-eyWnULRnYR20An5kYzxjcwxyePvTVKfsTzKywN918dLEzG9UfN euQv6E_vPoD45MqgyzdfjjLUgdOJZQbGl6VTzh4PKQ1YKgE5nC VIS4j3lXAt75_L2W2aRE9YL10Zx7ShlpLqovDQ6q063SuFUvAe xulYf

Harwood’s Hornet Cartridge

The accompanying illustration represents a .22-20 central fire cartridge, being put on the market by R. Harwood, Somerville, Mass. The shell is described as made on the same lines as the .25-20 central fire, but drawn down a little at the mouth to take a bullet of smaller caliber.

I have seen an American Angler advertisement where I could see three vertical lines up from the bullet, akin to the bullet illustrations in an Ideal catalog, where the mould can come in different weights...

The shell holds about 20 grains of powder, and will be made to use Nos. 1, 1 1/2, 2, or 2 1/2 primers, as desired. The bullets used are of 55 and 48 grains, which may be cast, it is stated, in the molds made by the Ideal Mfg. Company, New Haven, Conn. The point is made that with a charge of from 16 to 20 grains of powder, the 55 and 48 grain bullets, as well as the ordinary 45-grain bullet, may be made to spin well and to give increased power for game shooting.

Many barrels now using the .22 caliber long rifle and .22-7 45 caliber cartridges may, it is stated, be made to handle the .22-20 caliber shell by rechambering. We are advised that the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass, are expecting in the near future to adapt their ’94 model rifle, an illustration of which appears in this issue, to use the .22-20 cartridge.

The American Angler, vol 24, No. 1, May 1, 1894 - page 26
https://books.google.com/books?id=ZXyoFgU5J94C&pg=PA26&dq=hornet+harwood+ideal&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCIQ6AEwAWoVChMI4rSRtrrexgIVizSICh2iBQI-#v=onepage&q=hornet%20harwood%20ideal&f=true

For Small Game Shooting.

Those interested in the small-bore rifle will be glad to learn that the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co. have just put a new model rifle upon the market, to be known as the Stevens Ideal, Model '94. It is made with a solid frame, with barrel threaded in sleeve of receiver, which makes it, when assembled, as strong and rigid as the old Sharps or Ballard action. The frame is made from one solid piece of metal, with straps, top and bottom, running back into stock.

A simple and ingenious arrangement enables the shooter to leave the hammer at half or full cock, as desired, which is appreciated by those accustomed to quick work or to repeaters. The “snap” of the lever can be adjusted or regulated by a screw under the breech-block, to allow for wear. The rifle is furnished with case-hardened trimmings and nickeled Swiss butt plates, or hunting butt, as desired.

The writer had the pleasure, recently, of examining and testing one of these rifles, using the new “Harwood Hornet” 22-caliber central fire cartridge, and remarked after the shooting that both rifle and cartridge seemed to be all that could be desired. The Hornet cartridge has recently been worked up by Mr. R. Harwood, of Somerville, Mass. It is the same size shell as the 25–20 central fire cartridge is loaded in, but is drawn down at the neck to .230 at the mouth. Bullets of sixty-three, fifty-five and forty-eight grains are used, and the shell loaded with a charge of six grains of nitro in base, followed by fifteen grains of black powder, making the whole equal in power to twenty-one grains of ordinary rifle powder.

The nitro prevents fouling the shell and barrel, and 100 consecutive shots without cleaning showed the barrel to be in as good condition as after one shot. Two wipes with the cleaning rod and a piece of flannel left the barrel as clean and bright as a new dollar, with no trace of lead or crusting. The writer tried this cartridge for trajectory at fifty and 100 yards, and found about threequarters of an inch (as shown by the telescope sight on the rifle) was about the amount of rise and fall in going 100 yards. This would enable the sportsman to hit small game, such as gray and black squirrels, ducks on the water, etc., with no allowance for distance up to 125 yards or more.

This is a most desirable advantage in the small rifle, for with a curve like that described by a base ball in the air, game is altogether over or undershot, and consequently missed, or, what is worse, allowed to escape wounded, to suffer and perhaps die, or become food for predatory animals or vermin. Contrary to the expectations of many, the cartridge possesses good accuracy, which, combined with high speed and attending low trajectory, and nearly double the weight of lead contained in the ordinary 22-caliber cartridges, makes a killer.

Little noise, smoke and recoil, together with light-weight rifle and ammunition, seem to add to rather than mar the pleasure of a days outing in the woods. Experiments with nitro powder in these shells are now in progress, and a friend informs me that very satisfactory results have been gained. Mr. Harwood has provided for this also by furnishing extra heavy shells to take the No. 3 Winchester nitro primers. That the new explosives are to be used extensively in the near future seems assured, and the tendency of both military and sporting rifles seem to be toward the small calibers. The new era seems to be near at hand, and the world moves.

michaelcj
07-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Cool… Thanks for posting

shoot-n-lead
07-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Good stuff!

.22-10-45
07-16-2015, 12:44 AM
Years ago at a local G.S., I picked up a nice nickled Ideal tong tool marked .22-20 Hornet. This has the integeral mould. Everyone tried to tell me it was for the later .22 Hornet...but the parent Hornet case being the .22 WCF. was designated as a .22-13-45. Besides, a regular Hornet case was too small for the sizer.

Rustyleee
07-16-2015, 01:37 AM
It sounds like what they are talking about is what we know today is the .218 Bee. IIRC it started life as a .25-20.

.22-10-45
07-16-2015, 11:33 PM
No..The cartridge they are refering to is the Harwood Hornet a black powder wildcat fromt the 1890's designed by Rueben Harwood..this was an effort to obtain a flatter shooting Woodchuck and hunting round. The .218 Bee, while based on the .25-20 WCF. and marketed by Winchester in the 1930's was not designed by them. Emil Koshollec designed this little case by necking down .32-20 brass. Adolph Neidner paid him a visit once, and a short time later, Neidner introduced his .22 Baby Neidner ctg. A very close copy of Koshollec's. It was the popularity of the Baby Neidner that prompted Winchester to bring out their .218 Bee...so the idea was "stollen" twice! Incedently, the original Ideal 225415 49gr. (the short one) is listed in the Ideal handbook of 1930 as designed for the Baby Neidner.

dek16001
07-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Very interesting...thank you