PDA

View Full Version : Widner's has 22 ammo!

Houndog
07-15-2015, 08:08 PM
I just got an email from Widener's advertizing all kinds of 22 LR on sale. I didn't pay much attention to the prices and am just passing on information.

Houndog

Pipefitter
07-15-2015, 08:15 PM
At $43.00/500 they can keep it. Almost everything is out of stock.

Hardcast416taylor
07-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Just saw 3 boxes of 500 Remington "Thunderduds" go for $68 apiece on an on line auction site! A mixed 100 count yellow tray of Rem. HP and solids went for $19!Robert

Schrag4
07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
My 9mm reloads are cheaper than that - pass.

27judge
07-16-2015, 01:48 PM
My Daystate Huntsman 22 cal air rifle is looking better all the time, approx. 25.00 for 1000 shots including a tank of air. KEN

69papatango
07-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Nope , I just keep loading the .22 Hornet :bigsmyl2:
The sad thing is the prices will stay high as long as people are dishing out that kinda dough.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-16-2015, 10:57 PM
I got an email from Natchez a few days ago, it said, ".22 in stock now"
So I click on it...
nothing under 10¢ each :evil:

TXGunNut
07-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Good job, guys. If the price isn't right, pass. Sooner (OK, we missed that ;-) ) or later this will work itself out, but not if we pay inflated prices.

Springfield
07-17-2015, 10:25 PM
Easy for you guys to say, but my kids have to use .22's to compete in their age class in Cowboy Action Shooting. I suppose they COULD shoot centerfire but then I would have to buy all new guns for both of them(4 guns each!) Much cheaper to just pay 40.00/brick of 500. If you REALLY feel strongly about people buying at these inflated prices then please sell me some for 25.00 a brick, I'll buy at least 5. that should get us through a couple of years until the kids move up to centerfires.

SWMO1
07-18-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm seeing more .22 ammo recently. LGS said his distributor finally has it. Don't know about the wholesale price because his retail is still $50 brick. Sadly I'm afraid 9 or 10 cents a round might be the going rate in the future.

shaune509
07-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Has any one shoot the CI 22lr that Brownells has on sale now for $60, I've never seen CI ammo before. I have seen big box stores online list Remington at under 10cents a round but only in store. We in eastern Washington have had little supply for a very long time and we have the CCI plant at Lewiston, ID. The local discount sporting store does not think they will ever sell 22lr for less than 10 cents and this is the only store in Spokane that sells black powder.
Shaune509

wv109323
07-18-2015, 09:15 PM
At Camp Perry Champion's Shooters Supply had CCI Std. Velocity for $400 for 5000 rounds or 8 cents each. They sold out in a few hours. They only received a shipment just prior to Camp Perry and none throughout the year.
I spoke to a company that caters to the smallbore shooters. He said that the government was buying all the .22LR and mostly stockpiling it. He also said that the military are training indoors with M4's converted to .22LR. He said that the government contract is to be fulfilled later this year and he expected more ammo for the civilian market. I had never heard this before.
All the government contracts I heard about was 9MM and .40 S&W.

oldred
07-21-2015, 06:20 AM
I spoke to a company that caters to the smallbore shooters. He said that the government was buying all the .22LR and mostly stockpiling it. He also said that the military are training indoors with M4's converted to .22LR

The Government is not hoarding up all the 22 LR!!!!!!

The reason you never heard it before is that it's just another variation of the many goofy "Government" stories that have been floating around since the beginning of this panic, they can't all be true so why would that one be any different? If it were true it certainly would be well known and probably even in the news as happened with the pistol ammo when the Government "explained" why they were buying so much, whether or not their explanation on that one made sense or not the numbers still weren't enough to account for the bare shelves at the time. THAT one was true and it made the national news, although it too was not the reason the shelves were bare, yet that particular ammo returned rather quickly compared to 22 ammo!

I have no way of knowing and I doubt anyone else here does either but I would be willing to bet the Government buys very little RF ammo because they have little or no need for it, however IF they were buying significant amounts it would be well known and not some "someone told me" kind of affair even if that someone works for a company that sells ammo, the same as a gas station owner is not an authority on oil supplies! The problem is, has been from the start and will likely remain at least for a while simply people clamoring to get all they can "while they can", until folks stop trying to build up that stash and stop buying far more than they shoot this "shortage" will continue and repeating urban legends about the Government hording up all the ammo only adds fuel to the fire.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/17/the-nra-reveals-whos-to-blame-for-ammo-shortage-yo.aspx

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2013/10/20/is-the-obama-administration-the-cause-of-gun-ammunition-shortages/

Here's the problem, plain and simple and it ain't the Government!

“Take for example .22LR ammunition. The industry as a whole (all manufacturers combined) is setup to produce 4,200,000,000 (4.2 Billions) .22 LR annually. That is running all the machines, full capacity all the time, all manufacturers together.

There is NOTHING they can do to produce more.

That corresponds to 230,137 cartridge per State per day, which is 460 bricks of 500 .22lr per day per State. That means that if less than 50 people per day in each State are buying 10 bricks of .22, it is enough to dry up the entire supply as it is being manufactured.”

The above from this site,

http://www.ammoland.com/2013/06/this-whole-ammo-shortage-thing-by-the-numbers/#axzz3gYCoRF4X

762 shooter
07-21-2015, 06:30 AM
I buy 22LR at $40 per brick because my $0.03/rnd 38 Special cast reloads don't fit in my 22's.

When does a "shortage" turn into "normal"? This "shortage" is 2 1/2 years long now.

oldred
07-21-2015, 06:59 AM
When does a "shortage" turn into "normal"? This "shortage" is 2 1/2 years long now

My "theory", and it's just that, is that the shortage will die down as supplies start to make a comeback as they are doing now. While prices remain high for the time being due to the fact the market will still bear that folks (most anyway) will probably lose interest in stockpiling more as they lose the perception that it's no longer available or at least hard to get, hopefully this will have a snowball effect that's just the opposite of what's happening right now. People panicked at the sight of empty shelves which were empty because of rumors of a panic, the "better-get-it-while-you-can" attitude set in and the rest is history! As supplies in the stores start to appear, and it's finally happening as of now, at whatever price the buying/hoarding/scalping frenzy should die down which will lead to even more stock on the shelves. Since so many people now have many thousands of rounds stockpiled hopefully demand will drop to even less than it was pre-panic (hopefully anyway) and prices should drop with demand as people start shooting some of what they have on hand instead of buying more. Subtract from that also the people who don't even shoot the stuff who bought it as an "investment" and just maybe we will see prices more in line with what we once knew, probably never see it as low as it was just prior to the buying frenzy but if the market is flooded by enough people shooting what they have rather than buying and maybe others dumping some of their stash we might even see periods of very low prices, albeit temporary.

As I said this is just theory but it may very well happen that way, there has been several times more 22 ammo produced during this panic than in the years before and very likely less has been shot so there should be an enormous supply in the hands of the shooting public, prices are going to depend on how much of that supply we are willing to turn loose of vs hanging on to it and buying more. Again "hopefully" most of us will be unwilling to pay inflated prices for more ammo when we have thousands of rounds stashed away and that could very well lead to a drop in prices.

shdwlkr
08-19-2015, 06:07 PM
just purchased 3 boxes of federal 325 boxes at $23 per box about what I expected with the 15% increase that manufacturers told us to expect. had 1200 limit Cabela's

oldred
08-19-2015, 08:55 PM
I have been seeing more and more 22 ammo lately and thankfully at more reasonable prices. Even Weidners has had more just in the last few days since this thread started and at a somewhat better price although CCIs were still around 9 1/2 cents each.

Lookin better everyday however!

Murphy
08-19-2015, 09:24 PM
While I do enjoy my 22 RF's, I doubt I'll buy any at $35+ a brick. I picked up 10K shortly after the 2008 election. I didn't shoot a lot of it even back then. I don't plink that much with them these days, I've decided to just save them for small game and the occasional plinking of a 100 rounds or so.

If I recall correctly, China-Mart sold the bulk Federals (550 rds in a loose box) for $8.88. I could toss a $20 down, get change and walk out with 1100 rounds. That being said, if we can expect a 15% increase then at some point in time shouldn't that bring it back down to around $21-22 for the same 1100 rounds?

Just my two cents on the matter.

Murphy

Mauser48
08-19-2015, 10:15 PM
I think I need to consider buying a rossi or henry 357 and just shoot .38's because I really like to shoot .22 rifles on the pistol side at my range. At least a .38 will actually move the target.

fatelk
08-19-2015, 10:58 PM
I've happened across .22 lr ammo twice in the last few weeks, once at Walmart and once at the local Bimart. I don't check often, just glance any time I happen to be in the store, which isn't too often. The CCI Minimags at Bimart were $6.79/100, but the limit was one box.

I wonder if things might start to loosen up a little more, now that Hillary doesn't seem quite so inevitable...

oldred
08-20-2015, 12:04 AM
That being said, if we can expect a 15% increase then at some point in time shouldn't that bring it back down to around $21-22 for the same 1100 rounds? Murphy

Just about what I was thinking also but I am really hoping that as the furor dies down and people start to lose the urge to stockpile then prices may get back closer to what they were, of course by now they probably would have risen somewhat anyway just as everything else has (non shooting related). There may be some real bargains to be had if people start to shoot up some of that stash instead of buying more, point being there actually is a HUGE glut of 22 ammo in the hands of shooters so once this hysteria is gone demand may very well drop well below what it was pre-panic with resulting lower prices!

Oh well, it sounds good anyway!

Black Powder Bill
08-20-2015, 07:18 AM
22lr prices are still running in the .10c each for the low end stuff. I saw some target cartridges priced from $12.00 to 19.00 per 100 a while back. Something has to break soon! Like the post above, either a glut will leave retail with lots on stock sitting on the shelves or the gougers will need to pay bills and they will unload below what they paid.

I see a ton of used reloading supplies for sale now. Guys found out it's not a cheap and easy as they thought. LOL