PDA

View Full Version : I think I understand why , such a long reset from the factory

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-15-2015, 10:23 AM
for those of us who shoot pistol a fair amount most of us have done some trigger work to shorten reset , and remove over travel I have and I am no where near trigger snob

but it appears people who are maybe not as experienced , need more reset , and this is why stock triggers are so long

had a sort of run away gun for a few rounds yesterday , the shooter did a very good job of keeping it down range even still hit the intended target with a round or two and kep them all in the berm , the gun checks out fine and it appears the shooter was getting tired and the recoil may have been just enough that it was bump firing of sorts the trigger finger would come off the trigger enough during recoil and when the slide road forward the trigger was pulled again

the shooter had recently had a connector that reduced over travel to minimum installed , but the gun was otherwise bone stock , still had a 5.5 pound trigger pull but it was smooth , and had minimal reset

bedbugbilly
07-15-2015, 01:13 PM
A few years ago, I bought a used Bersa .380 Thunder CC as I wanted something "small" every once in a while for CCW. I don't know if it was exactly as you are describing, but the first shot, which was in DA, was fine. Then, after the first shot, the trigger had very little reset plus the pull was so light, that I kept getting double shots. I thought it was me and my technique but as I played with it, I soon discovered that the previous owner had done some "trigger work". After the first shot in DA, about every four rounds out of it I got a double shot - not on purpose. I took it back to the LGS where I bought it - discussed the problem with them and they offered to take it back - so I just worked out a trade with them on another revolver. I have shot for 50 years but that little Bersa with the light trigger pull and reset scared the heck out of me - primarily because of what could happen in a SD situation.

Other than that . . the Bersa was fine and shot a variety of different ammo I tried in it. I would have no problem getting another Bersa but not one that had been "worked on". LOL

rintinglen
07-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Yeah, lon reset is not a bad thing. I had a friend who had a Grizzly Winmag that he had worked over for a super light, >4 pound, short return, trigger. Do it yourself anti-aircraft gun.
I fired 3 shots in about a half second, one hit the target, a low nine, the next went up the mountain side at about a 45 degree angle and the last went up, nearly straight overhead before I could get my finger off the starter. I removed the mag, ejected the round in the chamber, and gave it back to him, with one eyebrow raised as high as it would go. "Not for me," I told him, "Machine guns are illegal in this state."

Schrag4
07-15-2015, 01:46 PM
I saw a double at an IDPA match few years ago. I don't know if the guy did any work to his pistol beforehand. In my mind, I can imagine how it's possible to bump-fire a pistol on accident. Maybe not consistently, but I believe it's at least possible with just the right pressure (or lack thereof) in just the right places on the pistol.

If I had some sort of bump-fire with a pistol that could be easily reproduced, I would get it taken care of immediately and I wouldn't post about it on the internet, at least not until I was sure it was fixed. Call me paranoid, but I'd prefer not to advertise that I have equipment that's faulty in a way that may make it illegal to possess.

Groo
07-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Groo here
It is possible to get doubles[bump fire] with many repeaters.
If you let your grip get loose the gun can "bump" .
A long reset will not cure this as the 500S&w revolvers have doubled.
The gun hits the hand, the grip loosens up then the hand tries to re-grip, causing the trigger to be pulled again.
See slowmo vids on Y**-tube...

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-15-2015, 04:28 PM
the RO was standing right next to the shooter and could see the trigger being pulled and it wasn't full auto slower than that , it was an issue of to much or to little pressure

2 other shooters ran a bunch of rounds with the same gun with no issue , it wasn't the gun it was the shooters getting tired , grip , strength reaction to recoil and it was after that shooter had run nearly a hundred rounds in competition for the match that it happened

this is why I was pointing out why even though many of us like short reset the manufacturers are making pistols for the masses and not the sport shooters