PDA

View Full Version : Powder selection?

Flexy
07-14-2015, 05:53 PM
First, I did not find a better suiting topic/area for this.... so here it goes.

I'm using QuickLoad program to get my "bearings" to what I should try with my .45-70gov eating Marlin... I'm really wondering why nearly all of the powder amount recommended are "too slow", as in, they will not get burned all before the boolit leaves the barrel...

Yes, it might be safer way to reload the boolits, but still... In my corner of the world, the cheapest powders are made by "Vihtavuori", and I use Vihtavuori N120 powder for my Marlin... all other users near by that I know of, use slower powders, like N130 or even slower and have to use more of it per shot.... OK, call me cheap goat... but I really hate the idea that I pay real money for the powder and it is not burned before my boolit exits the barrel... :I

I am not using the velocity of my boolit, but more of its weight... I do hunt elk/moose with my reloads. Easy kills, no real threat to my well being... But occasionally, there might be a bear to shoot.

Any case, I tend to rely more on the weight of the boolit (and the meplat caused terminal damage), than the speed of the boolit...

Motor
07-14-2015, 11:37 PM
It seems to me that the 45-70 typically uses fast powders like IMR-4198. Something you may find in a .223 and in fact do.

Is there some kind of question in your post? Are you looking for data or what?

I load for 45-70 but I don't load cast for mine. I have too many others that I load cast for. Plus my 45-70 is a Guide Gun with ported barrel. I don't feel like cleaning lead out of the ports. Cleaning lead out of my S&W 500's muzzle brake is enough fun for me. :)

Motor

r1kk1
07-15-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm starting to use QuickLoad also. I have a friend who has been helping me with the program. I've noticed using 30 grains of 4227 in a 510 GNR and a 310 grain bullet, QL came back with 18,000 for pressure and consumed 68% of the powder burned. That would explain what my wife said about a fireball exiting the muzzle. On target, it's a beautiful group and a heavy push for recoil. I set the pressure limit for the cartridge at 30k.

Flexy their are much better guys at QL than I. I'm a newbie at the software.

Take care

r1kk1