PDA

View Full Version : Home made press????

KCSO
07-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Here is a photo of a press I was given by Hydraulic. I can find no markings on it at all and the handle looks like the shift lever from a tractor. I assume it is a machining project. The press itself is 40 pounds of solid steel with the main column a chunk of 1.5 inch shafting and the rear column a 1" shaft. I have yet to test it for leverage but it should get the job done. If anyone has seen another or has any ideas let us know. 144518

Vann
07-14-2015, 11:33 AM
It ain't pretty, but it'll git er done.

3006guns
07-14-2015, 12:02 PM
I think it's flipping beautiful! Use very fine grit cloth/crocus cloth and shine that baby up, followed by oil or wax to keep it from rusting.

It's an indirect copy of the old Hollywood Senior press and frankly, it looks a lot stouter because of its steel construction. Someone, probably a machinist, went to a lot of trouble to build something that will last. If it proves to be accurate and smooth in operation DON'T EVER BE TEMPTED TO SELL IT. If, however, you get drunk enough or lose your wits contact me and we'll talk! :)

Is it machined for the standard shell holders we use today? If not, it shouldn't be hard to modify.

In fact, I'd appreciate more photos showing it from all angles as it looks like an excellent home shop project for me!

smoked turkey
07-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Hi Dad (KCSO): Boy as your long lost son I am glad to see this press came home. I look forward to my inheritance some day in the long long future. :>0. It is a dandy and one any son would be proud to own.

3006guns
07-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Hi Dad (KCSO): Boy as your long lost son I am glad to see this press came home. I look forward to my inheritance some day in the long long future. :>0. It is a dandy and one any son would be proud to own.

Yeah.......but Dad like ME best! :)

country gent
07-14-2015, 04:20 PM
That looks like a nice set up for a press. May have been a lunch hour one off from a shop someplace. And at the time the person who made it would have been very proud of it and the accomplishment. This used to be common in alot of shops. Starting apprentices were given odd jobs and thier tools to make along with other things at times. Journey man would occassionally make odds and ends on breaks and lunch hours ( or sneak some time when boss wasnt looking). There was alot of reloading equipment made one offs thru 50s and 60s as it wasnt always readily available, But to theright person a couple pictures were as good as a blueprint.

KCSO
07-14-2015, 04:40 PM
The shell holders are what looks like Herters, I use to have a couple sets of them and sold them all off. I will probably make a vega style adapter for the press and turn out a new primer seater. I can't wait to size a few cases and see how the leverage works out. I was thinking of bead blasting and then giving it a good coat of oh say...shocking pink...naaaa.

LUBEDUDE
07-14-2015, 07:24 PM
That, my friends IS American Muscle - and then some!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/e613eb1ca952df3631e88f1f0ed59cce.jpg

EMC45
07-15-2015, 10:25 AM
It looks like it was made from old tractor and truck parts. I really like it.

merlin101
07-15-2015, 12:31 PM
That is VERY cool! I wish I could find something like that at a flea market or sale.

richhodg66
07-15-2015, 12:49 PM
That is really cool. Have you loaded any ammo on it yet?

FrankG
07-15-2015, 01:44 PM
That is a beauty . Evaporust would do a nice job of cleaning it up .

3006guns
07-15-2015, 02:36 PM
The shell holders are what looks like Herters, I use to have a couple sets of them and sold them all off. I will probably make a vega style adapter for the press and turn out a new primer seater. I can't wait to size a few cases and see how the leverage works out. I was thinking of bead blasting and then giving it a good coat of oh say...shocking pink...naaaa.

1. Don't bead blast anything that slides or rotates......just polish those. 0000 steel wool will do wonders. Use de-rusting solutions (like Evapo Rust) too.
2. Most guys would opt for a flat or satin black and that's fine, but Krylon makes a dandy gray "hammertone" finish that looks outstanding on anything.

44Vaquero
07-17-2015, 06:47 PM
What a great piece of homemade history!!! It looks a lot like a Lyman All-American turret without the turret! Most likely that was the inspiration? I would love to have a find like that sitting on my bench.