PDA

View Full Version : New to me: S&W 59

cuzinbruce
07-14-2015, 08:22 AM
In Jersey you have to get a permit for each handgun, and they are good for 90/180 days. Mine was about to expire so I went checking the LGS's. And found this S&W 59 for not too much money. I assume it might have been a police gun at one time. Some carry wear but tight and hasn't been shot that much. Came with an extra mag. My first 9mm! Now I have to look around and see if I still have a set of dies in 9mm. Hope to get to the range later in the week.

ReloaderFred
07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Your Model 59 is in pretty good shape. They were designed by Joe Forster, and were the first double stack S&W made. Joe also designed the Model 39 and 52.

I've got two of them, one blue and one nickel, and a friend of mine just listed his for sale. He carried his as his duty weapon for a lot of years. Magazines are still available from MecGar, and they even make a 17 round magazine that works well and doesn't protrude below the grip.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Char-Gar
07-14-2015, 12:46 PM
I have only owned one 59 and like it quite well. Some complain about the large grip, but I didn't find that a bother. Mine was quite accurate.

Scharfschuetze
07-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Looks like a nice specimen of a 70s era S&W.

I carried a Model 59 for a year or so as an LEO and it was a reliable and fairly accurate handgun. I had to get an exception to the department's firearms policy to carry it as the department was armed with revolvers at the time.

I ended up going back to a revolver (Model 19); but I always felt well armed with the Model 59, although I never really came to grips with the grip.

I hope yours shoots as well as mine did.

cuzinbruce
07-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Yes, they do have a fat grip. From the double-row magazine. Not really a problem, I have fairly big hands. The gun points well for me. I cleaned the barrel last night and it is like new inside. Field strips just like my SW 4506. No play at the bushing. Now if the rain would stop!