PDA

View Full Version : Range Trip Today

Bzcraig
07-14-2015, 01:24 AM
Got to talking with a guy in his 60's today who almost proudly, and rather quickly, told me how me blew up his 45acp and was a bit hesitant to put his face on the stock of his rifle because he had loaded those rounds too. Then went on to explain how he couldn't figure out his Dillion reloader, powder wouldn't throw consistently etc. I asked which model he said 650. He then went back to explain the load data he used for the 45acp only had one load listed and one type bullet so he used it and blew his gun up, said he didn't know there were different bullets. The only thing I offered was I too am a reloader but I spent almost two years reading and researching before I loaded my first round because I was afraid of blowing up a gun and losing life or limb. I got the impression he had more money than sense.

Bad Water Bill
07-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Sounds like another case of more money than smarts.

A ton of info on U tube and magazines not to mention the MANY reloading manuals now available.

I am sure if he had asked the range master about reloading he would have been directed to many folks that would have been glad to answer newbie questions and probably invite him over to their place for some training and for FREE.

Keep in mind he IS a danger to all of the other shooters in the area when the next gun explodes and it will.

Schrag4
07-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Was his load data "just fill up the case with powder?" Believe it or not, I've heard that before, although I don't remember where. Scary, nonetheless.

Echo
07-14-2015, 02:30 PM
I've seen folks that think that if they throw money at a situation, the situation is complete - whether it's reloading, shooting, home building, &cetera...

TXGunNut
07-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Was his load data "just fill up the case with powder?" Believe it or not, I've heard that before, although I don't remember where. Scary, nonetheless.

I've actually heard that, guy said his buddy did it with his 45-70 and it would shoot thru 2-3 decent sized trees. He actually told me about it twice, couldn't tell me what kind of powder his buddy was using tho. Maybe it didn't matter. Seems I've wasted quite a bit of money on manuals, measures and scales, lol.

dtknowles
07-14-2015, 09:27 PM
15 years old bought a press, dies, lube pad, and Hornady manual. Picked out a powder and bullet combo, bought powder, bullets, and primers. Followed the instructions, worked up to max load, every thing worked out fine. So fine in fact I bought a mold, little cast iron pot, ladle, more powder, lubrisizer, gas checks and Lyman manual. Cast sized and shot my bullets. Some people just can't read and follow instructions, don't know if it is short attention span or what. The basic stuff is not hard, I was lucky and had no problems but don't know why anyone would have problems with the basic stuff.

I followed Lyman's instruction mostly to the letter, even on making my own psudo #2 alloy. The only place I deviated was I sized my bullets to 0.308". I seated the bullets without an M die but if I was careful I did not shave any lead. The Win M94 like that stuff as well as Factory.

Tim