PDA

View Full Version : 7.62 x 39 brass

KnotRight
07-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I picked up a set of Lee dies for a 7.63 x 39 round today (first set of Lee dies) to play around with reloading for a SKS and AK. I knew that I had a bunch of rounds from the late 90s in some ammo cans but they are all steel case. Searching the different forums, it is very hard to find brass in that caliber.

I am not planning on reloading a bunch for those guns but would like to get 3 to 400 brass cases. Any idea what once or twice fire cases would be going for? If I end up buying new ammo, what would you suggest just for shooting a bunch of dirt and paper targets.

This is a caliber that I have always bought steel cases.

Mike67
07-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Keep an eye on the swapping and selling section on this forum those cases appear quite often. On Gunbroker 500 once fired is usually $100.

GhostHawk
07-13-2015, 09:20 PM
In my case I found it cheaper to buy loaded ammo with good brass so that I could reload it.

Yes it costs a bit more, but then you go looking for once fired boxer brass that will cost you a bit nowdays as well.

Personally I have been favoring the Privi Partizan, although I have also bought some Red Army Standard Elite that has good brass and boxer primers.

Look regularly, watch for sales, watch here daily. Figure out what you might be willing to pay and be ready to make the deal at the drop of a hat.

50 cents a piece brass reloaded 10 times adds only a nickle a round to the cost of your loaded ammo. Add that price to factory loads and suddenly they might look a bit more attractive than the cheap steel case.

I used to buy some cheap tulammo for my SKS, but the accuracy was ****. Both bullet weights and powder charge between rounds in the same box varied a lot.

Your mileage may vary. I don't shoot either of mine a lot, I have my Yugo SKS pretty well dialed in for 50 y and that is good enough.
I also have a 7.62x39 barrel for my Handi Rifle, still trying to find what will make that little girl happy.

anotherred
07-13-2015, 09:22 PM
.35/case isn't unreasonable due to its some what difficult to find boxer primed brass. I'd say low to mid .20/case would be a good deal. Knowing this you can weigh the option of buying new and starting your collection that way.

Steve E
07-13-2015, 11:17 PM
New 7.62 x 39 brass/boxer cases are relatively easy to find. Google is your friend.

Steve.........