PDA

View Full Version : major lead score, I hope

nagantguy
07-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Got a five gallon pale full of igots marked like this today, at 70 cents a pound, and the guy threw in a small box of old fishing sinkers to boot. These markings mean anything to anyone?144473144473

nagantguy
07-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Pics came out upside down but I'm sure you can read the markings, seem soft but not as soft as like roofing sheet lead.

cat tech
07-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Pic is upside down, but appears to say Delco Remy. They made starters, alternators, and other electrical components. First thing that poped in my mind was babbit for bearings, for what it is worth. $.02

1johnlb
07-14-2015, 12:32 AM
Delco Remy is the same as AC Delco, General motors parts line or at least once was. Like already stated all that I know of they used lead for was motor bearings.

GSM
07-14-2015, 01:21 AM
Didn't they make auto batteries as well? Or did they just name brand another source?

1johnlb
07-14-2015, 01:31 AM
They had their name on the batteries, soft lead, batteries is highly possible.

GM made everything they could to cut out the middle guys. It's just good business sense.

mold maker
07-14-2015, 03:11 PM
Auto body repair, and initial production, used lead instead of bondo at one time. It would have been natural for Delco Remy (Division of GM) to produce lead alloy for that.

bangerjim
07-14-2015, 03:49 PM
If you just really gotta have ta know for sure............take one to a scrap yard and have them x-ray it for complete analysis. Then, you will know FOR SURE, and not rely on just guesses on here based on upside down pictures.

bangerjim

nagantguy
07-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Don't so much care about exactly what it's made of I'll experiment some figure I'd go half and half with my range scrap, just wondered if anyone know about the A F B markings or what it might have been used for. Not to long ago there was a post here someone had some igots with initials on it and it was a great post reading everyone's theories and jokes.

JeffinNZ
07-14-2015, 06:15 PM
Good Lord, it's glorious!

lightman
07-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Five gallons of any lead is a good score!

richhodg66
07-14-2015, 07:02 PM
What exactly does Babbitt metal consist of? I have a few ingots I got from an old man who also had a lot of type metal (he had been a printer) and thought they were Babbitt ingots, but I haven't melted any yet. Does it have a high tin content?

nagantguy
07-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Good Lord, it's glorious!

That is exactly how I felt, there among the dollies the old vacuums and various kitchen utensils sat a pale looks like it used to hold roofing tar, maybe asphalt sealants point is I was drawn to it so much so I didn't see the small box filled with 4-6 Oz fishing sinkers. That upon a grueling and stimulating hagel they threw into the deal. Won't tell ya exactly what I paid cause a gentleman never tells but when I got home and weight it it was under a buck a pound, throw in the sinkers and more like 50 cents a pound. It's clean and usable so I say score.

bangerjim
07-14-2015, 07:55 PM
What exactly does Babbitt metal consist of? I have a few ingots I got from an old man who also had a lot of type metal (he had been a printer) and thought they were Babbitt ingots, but I haven't melted any yet. Does it have a high tin content?

Use that magical thing called Google, type in Babbitt, and read the over 50 different alloys it can be! Only way to know is either the ORIGINAL foundry marks in the ingots or an x-ray analysis.

I now have 5 different "Babbitt" alloys.....all totally different!

If from an old printer, could be lino or the "sweetening alloy" they used to refresh the weakened lino. It lost it's Sn after many uses.

banger