07-13-2015, 04:34 PM
What is it?
I got this and found inside what I think is a check maker
Is it all there?
How do you make the checks
OD of checks are .315

bstone5
07-13-2015, 04:56 PM
If there is a slot in the larger diameter rod then it looks like a Free Check II type tool.
Flat material does in slot big end of smaller rod cuts round discs and the smaller end of the small rod makes the cup in the check.

DCP
07-13-2015, 05:14 PM
No slot in larger rod. I don't think its all here

bstone5
07-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Some early designs cut from the top, it may all be there, get some thin metal and see if the two pieces will cut a disc.
I make a lot of gas checks for plain base bullets from cola can material and .008 thick aluminum roof flashing.
There are some movies on You Tube of guys using a Free Check II tool to make gas Checks.
Measure the copper checks and see how thick of material was used to make these checks.

gunoil
07-14-2015, 08:19 AM
dcp, those are no good/useless, just mail all that stuff over cod. pm me.

DCP
07-14-2015, 08:46 AM
dcp, those are no good/useless, just mail all that stuff over cod. pm me.

Tell me how they work then I might mail them to you cod

gunoil
07-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Well, those gas checks go on a certain boolit or boolits. I use arbor press from harbor freight to install gas checks. Try to slide the two pieces together like bstone said, it makes round pieces then flip punch, re-install round copper and mash again which makes a gas check.

Take some more pics, are there any stamped letters or #'s on tools?

You have a arbor press? Mine was $53 at harbor freight (1ton).
You have coke cans to cut strips from. Prob set it up on your drill press too.

Pretty sure these are copper rifle gc's . l load for pistols only.

DCP
07-14-2015, 12:42 PM
I have a arbor press from harbor freight.
See the 1st picture
If you take the small end and place a sheet of paper on the slotted end press it makes a check

A check will fit in the hollow end see photo 3

No stamped #s

What do you need photos of? I will see what I can do

DCP
07-30-2015, 08:24 PM
try again

elwood4884
07-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Something definitely doesn't look quite right. Looks like prototype for a freechex style tool. Spring is missing and not quite sure how it is supposed to shear and form. Looks like forming rod slides into die body but no indication how to advance short of disassembling the die body for every check (time consuming!)

DukeInFlorida
08-02-2015, 02:19 AM
No spring needed in this type.
First punch stoke uses a strip of copper or aluminum, and merely punches a FLAT round disk.
Turn the tool parts other end to, and place the made disk in the "pocket" you see on one end. Punch the disk with the tool on the other end, and it will form the cup.
It should take you all of three minutes to figure it out, and know which orientation is which. This tool doesn't use an arbor press. It uses a hammer for the force.
What you have actually to my eye looks like one of Pat Marlins original designs.

He has a new web site: http://www.patmarlins.com/

Maybe he can assist with instructions/parts/etc

Pee Wee
08-26-2015, 06:40 AM
I think Dukes got it