PDA

View Full Version : 45acp 9mm can't find load data

Saxmann10
07-13-2015, 02:14 PM
If you can't find load data for a specific weight bullet.Is the next higher weight ok or do you go lower and what do you start at. I just noticed on some of cast bullets molds, the Load data is not listed anywhere.I know you start lower but don't want to have dangerous rounds.I am still learning . A ground at the range had a reload blow the mag out on his 1911 45. He said it was either a bad case ,undercharge,overcharge or the bullet set back from bad crimp. Just don't want this to happen thanks

Der Gebirgsjager
07-13-2015, 05:02 PM
In my experience it is generally o.k. to use the recommended charge for a heavier bullet for a lighter bullet, as the heavier bullet uses less powder. Never start with maximum loads.

fredj338
07-13-2015, 06:10 PM
IT's almost impossible to get into trouble using heavier bullet data with a lighter bullet. The on exception might be using really slow powders with lighter bullets & lower charge wts.

bangerjim
07-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Heavier boolits = lighter powder loads, so you can use that data for the next lighter boolit. Generally. USE MIN LISTINGS! And work from there.

banger

Seeker
07-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Slow burning powders like H110/W296 do not work with below start start with heavy boolits.

paul edward
07-13-2015, 08:00 PM
Slow burning powders are not the best choice for 9mm and .45 ACP. Stick to powders with burn rates between Bullseye on the fast side and Unique on the slow side.

What kinds of bullets are you hoping to use and what powders do you have?

RobS
07-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Considering you are working with 9mm/45 ACP and the powders commonly associated you would likely be ok using the load data for the next heavier bullet that is 10 or so grains heavier.

Knowing a bit more regards to what you are doing would give us insight to better help you.

Bzcraig
07-14-2015, 10:47 AM
This is not meant to sound rude, my advise for new reloaders is if you can't find published data to use, it's time to put things on hold and read, read, read until you find your answer. In that process you will learn way more about reloading, which is great, than simply getting your one question answered. Good luck and welcome aboard!

475AR
07-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Also if the data you need is for solid copper bullets be very careful as they are usually longer than standard copper jacketed bullets.

bedbugbilly
07-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Just what boolit - mold number, weight, profile, etc. are you looking for data for? It might help to list that and perhaps someone can steer you in the right direction?

As already stated, be sure you get a couple of good loading manuals and books on reloading and read them . . the re-read them. I'm not being critical at all when I say that . . . it's important to have a good understanding of reloading and the process - the "do's and don'ts", etc. before you actually get started. And even then . . you'll have questions come up. Personally, I spent a number of months reading, studying, reading re-loading forums before I even bought my first reloading equipment . . . and I've been shooting Black Powder for 50 + years. Cartridge re-loading was a whole different ballgame . . and like you . . . I didn't want to make "mistakes" . . . especially mistakes that could end up injuring me or anyone near me at the range.

Good luck . . . and be safe!

bangerjim
07-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Yes......invest some $$ in loading data books. I have numerous ones and between them, I can usually find load data.

Books that are good for cast lead boolits:

1. Lyman Cast Bullet handbook
2. Lee loading book
3. Hodgdon Reloading Manual magazine (annual)

Other books concentrate only on FMJ's (Speer, Hornady, etc) and are totally worthless to me!

You can find some info on the manufacturers websites if you cannot afford the books, but the books are far better.

banger

Char-Gar
07-14-2015, 03:50 PM
If you can't find load data for a specific weight bullet.Is the next higher weight ok or do you go lower and what do you start at. I just noticed on some of cast bullets molds, the Load data is not listed anywhere.I know you start lower but don't want to have dangerous rounds.I am still learning . A ground at the range had a reload blow the mag out on his 1911 45. He said it was either a bad case ,undercharge,overcharge or the bullet set back from bad crimp. Just don't want this to happen thanks

I don't know what bullet weight you have, that you can't find data for a similar bullet +- 5 grains.

There is no mystery about the guy and his blown mag in a 1911. He screwed up! I have been reloading the 45 ACP round in 1911 pistols since 1961 with 1/4 million rounds send down range, with zero problem of any kind, certainly not blow out cases and mags.