PDA

View Full Version : New barrel for a 336...

dlbarr
07-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Not that I need another gun project to pay for... I've been thinking lately about my 30-30 micro-groove barrel and wondered if there was a replacement octagon barrel with standard rifling available anywhere?

Just want something different...again

OverMax
07-13-2015, 04:41 AM
Could send it to Jes and have it re-bored. Probably cheaper in the long run than a new install.

http://www.35caliber.com/

dlbarr
07-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I was just thinking of changing to an octagonal barrel, not changing the caliber. I like the 30-30.

John Taylor
07-13-2015, 08:33 PM
Run about $450 for an octagon barrel in the white installed on your rifle, 20" to 26". I can also make up a mag tube for the 26".

dlbarr
07-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Well, John, that sounds interesting. I see we're sort of neighbors also...I live over at the TriCities.

Looked at your website...will have to be in touch. How much for the longer mag tube?

Thinking further about this, I'd need to have a new forearm as well. This could get expensive...

Wind
07-14-2015, 12:24 AM
Hey there Dave -- It's only money!! I highly recommend John Taylor's work. You might consider locating a forend and forend tip prior to getting started on your barrel work. This will correctly locate the new dovetail for the tip tenon. With the octagonal barrel the tip will need to also be of the octagonal variety and they come in two sizes. The larger of the two is for the Marlin 45-70's. I have a tip tenon you would be welcome to when and if you get that far!! Brownells has the tips as replacement parts - but they are hit and miss as far as "in stock".

You might also consider looking for the Marlin 1973 Octagon, the Marlin Cowboy, or the Marlin Zane Grey to scratch the 30-30 octagonal barrel itch.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

dlbarr
07-14-2015, 01:10 AM
Hey there Dave -- It's only money!! I highly recommend John Taylor's work. You might consider locating a forend and forend tip prior to getting started on your barrel work. This will correctly locate the new dovetail for the tip tenon. With the octagonal barrel the tip will need to also be of the octagonal variety and they come in two sizes. The larger of the two is for the Marlin 45-70's. I have a tip tenon you would be welcome to when and if you get that far!! Brownells has the tips as replacement parts - but they are hit and miss as far as "in stock".

You might also consider looking for the Marlin 1973 Octagon, the Marlin Cowboy, or the Marlin Zane Grey to scratch the 30-30 octagonal barrel itch.

Thanks Wind. Yes, only money...I keep telling that to my better half.

As far as the other Marlins w/octagonal barrels, this 336 is kinda special to me...it was Dad's. I actually gave it to him for his 65th birthday and, as life goes, I got it back a couple years ago. Dad was never much of a hunter or even a shooter, but he always wanted a 30-30 lever gun so I bought this one for him. So, I really want this to be the 30-30 I use as I head down the road myself. Not sure what the cost comparison is of the mods I'm looking at vs the other rifles you mention..?

Wind
07-14-2015, 08:10 AM
Hey again Dave -- Getting John to cover the barrel would be the biggest issue. The mag tube and other bits, plus some shipping, would prolly add $150 to the program. Rounding up an existing 30-30 with an octagonal barrel would prolly run somewhere between $700 and $1200, depending on the rifle and how proud the seller was of his rifle. The Zane Grey also comes with a medallion that I'm not wildly enthusiastic about for my own use.

The fact that you were thinking about modifying a Marlin 336 got this conversation pointed in that direction, but if the possibility of adding another rifle exists, don't overlook the older Winchesters as well as Marlin 1893's, '93's, and 36's. This has the possibility of opening up a whole new problem, but hey, it's only money, right??

John Taylor
07-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Had a few customers a while back that shoot timed events. Made three 30" barrels and mag tubes to hold 10 rounds.

Gtek
07-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Just me, "this 336 is kinda special to me...it was Dad's" I would leave Dad's rifle alone and find another to make dlbarr the rifle he wants.