PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Tru-Line Jr. press....

Cag40Navy
07-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Howdy yall! I have run across a Tru-Line Jr. press and I have a couple questions.

1: Is the die rotor replaceable? I saw a Tru-Line Jr. with die holes capable of using normal dies then some bushing to go int othose holes to use the normal tru-line dies. If the die rotor is replaceable, where can I get a hold of a rotor for normal dies and the bushings to also use the normal tru-line dies.

2: Is the lever attachment point replaceable? This one is a earlier one with the lever in line with the ram. If this is replaceable, where can I get the later attachment point with more compound leverage?

Thank you very much in advance!

Yodogsandman
07-13-2015, 05:13 AM
Evilbay has the replacement turret head and adapter bushings. I got a Tru-line jr a few months back that a machinist had modified just one hole to 7/8", making it usable for both size dies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-tru-line-Junior-turret-press-7-8-14-die-plate-/261438074798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdeec6fae

3006guns
07-13-2015, 06:47 AM
If I can throw in a cautionary note here.........

The Tru-line is a cute little press, and little is the operative word. I considered making a replacement turret myself until I talked to a very old friend about it. He'd been around since the presses were first introduced and warned me that it was for neck sizing only and, as a result, was only designed to be strong enough for that operation. Trying to use it with full length sizing dies is really straining the toggle and frame, or as he put it, "They're a little springy". Now, if you're going to set the modern dies higher so they neck size only there should be no problem, but don't push the little guy beyond his limits.

Wayne Smith
07-13-2015, 08:07 AM
I have one, got it years ago thinking I would load pistol with my normal dies. Then I started finding 310 die sets, and invested in them. I've never installed mine. Moral of the story, the 310 sets are available. The 310 shop will make what isn't immediately available if needed. Think twice before buying one, they work great with the 310 sets. I now have three sets of 310 handles, all because I bought a TrueLine Jr. cheap. That thing has cost me several hundred dollars and isn't done yet!

Green Frog
07-13-2015, 10:02 AM
If I can throw in a cautionary note here.........

The Tru-line is a cute little press, and little is the operative word. I considered making a replacement turret myself until I talked to a very old friend about it. He'd been around since the presses were first introduced and warned me that it was for neck sizing only and, as a result, was only designed to be strong enough for that operation. Trying to use it with full length sizing dies is really straining the toggle and frame, or as he put it, "They're a little springy". Now, if you're going to set the modern dies higher so they neck size only there should be no problem, but don't push the little guy beyond his limits.

What he said^^^. The TL Jr is a great little press. You will quickly run out of beef if you start pushing it to act like a full sized press. The absolute most I would attempt would be to ream one hole for a 7/8 X 14 die to enable FL sizing of pistol and revolver cartridges using carbide dies... but I prefer to do this elsewhere in my loading room using my single stage (full size) press. I like to neck size classic rifle cartridge cases that are being used in the same single shot rifle chamber. That's JMHO but based on loading thousands of rounds on TL Jr presses.

Froggie

jugulater
07-13-2015, 10:12 AM
the little tru-line Jr. presses are nicely made and completely adequate for what they were designed for. they were made to be used with the 310 series of dies which neck size only and are not strong enough for anything else.

i have the early model that is considered weaker than the later model and i use it to load .308 winchester, 30-06, and .303 Brit using original 310 die sets that neck size only. i enjoy using my Tru-line Jr. and the ammo i make on it is just as accurate as ammo made on my RCII with a set of modern dies.

converting one of these little presses to modern dies can damage or destroy the press as they were never intended to full length size anything larger than a .44 mag.

HeavyMetal
07-13-2015, 10:22 AM
I converted a compound leverage Tru Line Jr several years ago and it still see's duty as a range press.

Size is the reason I bought it. Got a six hole turret of E bay and glad I paid the extra money!

What's been said about the strength of the press is correct I do full length size 44 mag case's on mine using Carbide dies and Imperial sizing die wax, anything larger is asking for breakage.

You can't convert the first model to a second model with Compound linkage Pin locations are all wrong, suggest selling it to some one wanting to use 310 dies and spend funds on a second Gen version.

Char-Gar
07-13-2015, 12:46 PM
I echo the feeling of many of the above posters which would be.

1. The Tru-Line Jr. is a great little turret press to load handgun rounds to rifle rounds where the brass is NECK SIZED only.

2. There are two generations of these presses and the difference is the linkage. The second generation has compounds linkage making it suitable to full length size handgun brass. The first generation with only one straight link is not suitable for full length sizing hand gun brass and should be used with the 310 neck sizing dies only.

3. I see no purpose in buying one of the turrets for larger 7/8 X 14 dies. They cost as much as the press and several sets of 310/Tru-Line Jr. dies can be bought for the same price.

4. You can make the press easier to operate by using a longer handle. But don't let that lull you into thinking that makes the press stronger, because it does not. The linkage is the weak point and a longer handle will just make it easier to damage your press. Stick to the design parameters and you will be just fine.

5. I use mine for 38 Special/357 Magnum and 45 ACP. Anything bigger goes to to a bigger press.