PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Trigger Surface...

BCB
07-12-2015, 05:18 PM
I was shooting an old Security-Six 357 Magnum today and I always have some discomfort with my index finger that I use to pull the trigger. Especially when I shoot double action…

This trigger has the grooves in it and it just seems to irritate…

I have a Super Redhawk and a Blackhawk and the triggers have the smooth surface…

Was there a reason for the grooved triggers?

I wrapped some tape around it to eliminate the grooves and it seemed to help…

I think a wider smooth-surface trigger might be better…

This Security-Six is just a dang nice handgun to shoot with light or heavy loads. Three grains of Bullseye and the Lee 358-150-2R today. The 4” diameter pendulum was rattled most every time at 25 yards—just plain fun…

Is there an aftermarket trigger to replace this grooved trigger?...

Thanks…BCB

Mtnfolk75
07-12-2015, 05:24 PM
I've taken the grooves off & polished the trigger face on many of my revolvers over the years, it's a pretty straight forward and easy thing to do.

bhn22
07-12-2015, 05:51 PM
You'll want to polish the grooves off your original trigger, a replacement trigger would require gunsmith installation & fitting. Grooved triggers are designed to reduce finger slippage across the trigger face, I polish grooved triggers down a bit to round off any sharp edges, but prefer to leave them in place. A Dremel tool with a felt bob, and polishing compound has worked well for me in the past. There is virtually no aftermarket parts support for the "Six" series guns, and even Ruger doesn't make parts for them anymore. Springs, and grips are about the extent of what's still available.

44man
07-13-2015, 10:34 AM
I shot up to the .44 mag with grooved target triggers, no problems. Are you letting the gun bounce to hit you? Get a better grip.

FergusonTO35
07-13-2015, 11:19 AM
My Service Six has a smooth trigger. Find a used trigger on Gunbroker or Fleabay and install it. Chances are that it will work with no fitting.

Petrol & Powder
07-13-2015, 09:24 PM
I routinely remove the grooves from trigger faces. Grooved triggers are fine for shooting single action but I've never seen even the slightest reason for grooves when shooting DA. The only DA revolver that I own that still has a grooved trigger face is my K-38 and I just can't bring myself to alter that one.
I have a couple of Ruger Service Sixes, one is DAO with a factory bobbed hammer and a smooth trigger face. The other had a conventional SA/DA action and a grooved trigger face. I pulled the trigger out, ground off the grooves, polished the trigger face and re-installed it. It's a joy to shoot. So you could probably find a smooth trigger and swap it out or remove the grooves from the one you have. Either way, I can highly recommend eliminating the grooves on a DA trigger face.

Petrol & Powder
07-13-2015, 09:28 PM
I've taken the grooves off & polished the trigger face on many of my revolvers over the years, it's a pretty straight forward and easy thing to do.
I concur, Done it many times, easy job and I've NEVER regretted doing it. I have no idea why anyone would think that grooved trigger faces are somehow an improvement to a double action revolver.

country gent
07-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Alot of grooved triggers are sharp feeling to me the grooves being cut to to fine a "vee" leaving it uncomfortable. This is a simple fix ad ca be done easily. In sure firearm is not loaded. Tape of trigger and all of cutout to seal inside if firearm. With a medium cut fewlers file slowly and carefully draw file the grooves to where there is a flat across the point around .025 wide or more. If you want you can remove them completely just watch the lines width to keep everything even and true. When the trigger face is what you want then deburr and radious the sides and tip of the trigger. Ussuallythis fine drawfiling is a fine enough finish but you can wrap fine emery or sand paper around the jewelers file and give it a final polish. Always kee[p inmind you are removing meatal from the part and changing its size and mass.

44man
07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Biggest problem I had shooting DA with a 29 was my hand would get checkered from the grips. We just laughed about it. But we shot 12 ga shotguns with one hand too.
Ever shoot a double by pulling both triggers? Spun us around, forearm came off and barrels hit the ground. Dang it, recoil was FUN!

RG1911
07-14-2015, 03:07 PM
Hesitating to permanently modify an expensive or hard-to-find part, I've successfully filled grooves with epoxy.

Also, having done some nerve damage to my hands, I find that my index finger is very susceptible to discomfort from narrow triggers. In at least one case, I had a wider trigger shoe made. Now, instead of giving up after 16 rounds, I can shoot that pistol all day.

Richard

BCB
07-14-2015, 04:03 PM
I was actually thinking about doing the same thing, but with glue and not epoxy. If I don’t do it well, the epoxy might be permanent or at least difficult to get off…

How did you get a wider trigger—this has crossed my mind also…

It appears the most of the suggestions indicate to somehow remove the grooves by grinding or polishing. If I were to go that route, I believe I might have a competent ‘smith do the job. Or my nephew who is a machinist in a very modern shop. I and a file or Dremel tool could mean disaster!!!...

I might see if I can find a used trigger also…

44 Man—it’s not the recoil that is hurting the trigger finger, but the grooves, and probably just the groove closest to the side. It is irritating my trigger finger on the side adjacent to the finger nail…

But this situation does seem to be known by many and I thought maybe it was just me…

Thanks for that advice and I think I will start with the least invasive method to solve the problem. I really would like to keep the Security-Six in original form…

BCB

scattershot
07-15-2015, 11:16 AM
I recently read of an ingenious solution that doesn't require alteration of the pistol. Just get some heat shrink tubing that fits over the trigger, and shrink it with a hair dryer or something.

bedbugbilly
07-15-2015, 01:03 PM
scttershot - you got to it before I did! I've seen the heat shrink tubing used on both pistol and rifle triggers - and it seems to work just fine. I think a person can find it at Lowes, etc. - probably in the electrical department or quite possibly at an auto supply store. Nothing more irritating than a trigger that chews on your fingers or for that matter, grips with checkering so sharp it feels like you're hold a rasp! :-)

Petrol & Powder
07-15-2015, 03:33 PM
I recently read of an ingenious solution that doesn't require alteration of the pistol. Just get some heat shrink tape that fits over the trigger, and shrink it with a hair dryer or something.

/\ I like that /\

I'll still grind and polish mine because I'll never go back to grooved trigger anyway but heat shrink tubing does seem like a good solution.

Petrol & Powder
07-28-2015, 07:51 AM
BCB, Update please. What was your solution?

BCB
07-28-2015, 08:08 AM
BCB, Update please. What was your solution?

At this point in time, I took the "crude" way out...

I wrapped it with black electrician's tape--looks a bit lousy but seems to work...

I might also try the shrink wrap sometime in the near future if I get that handgun out to do some more shooting...

Might try to find another trigger or get it ground down by someone who can do it much better than I could! This would be the permanent solution for sure...

BCB

Petrol & Powder
07-28-2015, 08:43 AM
The tape will give you some idea of how the shrink tubing will work but I can't imagine the electrical tape holding up for long. I had never heard of using shrink tubing until I read it on this thread but it seems like a good solution.
Removing the grooves and polishing the trigger face is not difficult and I've done it several times. If you don't wish to tackle that I'm sure you can find someone that can do it for you.

Good Luck and don't neglect that Security-Six !! They're great revolvers !