PDA

View Full Version : Round nose boolit for 40S&W

tazman
07-11-2015, 11:30 PM
Does anyone besides NOE make a mold for a round nose boolit for 40S&W/10mm?
NOE has them listed but the 4-5 cavity molds are not currently available. I don't want to get a 2 cavity because I will just replace it later. I have emailed AL twice now with no response about a possible production date.
Looking for 170-180 grain weight boolits.
Thanks in advance
tazman

scottfire1957
07-12-2015, 01:33 AM
Phone call. All I got.

eveready
07-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Tazman,
Hardline Industries make a 190 grain 40 caliber round nose.

popper
07-13-2015, 12:33 PM
And the reason for a RN is?

tazman
07-13-2015, 01:04 PM
I occasionally have cartridges that won't feed properly. Since a RN feeds so well in a 45acp, I thought I would try it in my 40.

The cartridges that don't feed either hang up on the edge of the flat nose on the tc trying to enter the barrel or get part way in and jam.
They don't always do this. Just often enough to make me worry.
They plunk just fine when the barrel is removed from the gun. Makes no difference which magazines I use. I have factory mags and third party mags from reputable manufacturers.
I have a 150 grain mold that has a smaller meplat. It feeds flawlessly. The 175 I have is the Lee version.
I am looking to see if the RN profile feeds perfectly or not.
I had the same issue with Winchester factory loads with the wider meplat. They were malfunctioning much more often than my reloads did.

rsrocket1
07-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Check out NEI, looks like the 401-185-BB might suit you. They are not cheap at about $165 for a 6 cavity mold. That's an expensive experiment. It sounds like something needs adjustment on your gun unless you have some strange one of a kind 40 cal autoloader. Most 40 cals are meant to shoot TC or HP bullets.

Maybe you can try some Berry's or Ranier bullets to make sure you are choosing the right style. Maybe a RF bullet will be good enough.

David2011
07-14-2015, 01:24 AM
In the .45ACP the truncated cone is supposed to have the same geometry (contact points while chambering) as the original Browning designed ball bullet. The .40 TC "looks like" it's about the same. I've shot some .40 RN that were commercially cast but only because it's what was available when I didn't have time to make my own.

Is your COL 1.135"? You didn't say if this is a 1911 platform or something else. A 1911 can usually tolerate a COL of up to 1.240-1.250 with a truncated cone but smaller guns need the shorter COL. I've seen a lot of barrels that have a very sharp intersection of the ramp and chamber. That sharp corner will dig into the brass and case a three point jam. Passing a plunk test doesn't matter if that corner is sharp. If you identify that as a problem the sharp corner needs to be polished to a tiny radius.

David