PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth M. Deane, champion woman rifle shot (Harper's, May 1916)

ohland
07-11-2015, 10:49 AM
I suspect she could have picked up an M4 and humiliated me...

(Bernard Garai)

Harper's Weekly, No. 3099, page 529, May 13, 1916

https://books.google.com/books?id=PykzAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA529&dq=woman+rifle+match&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4CihVcKIJor8oQTpkIzQDw&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAzgo#v=onepage&q=woman%20rifle%20match&f=false

At a recent match in Cambridge, Mass., Elizabeth N. Deane made a score of thirty-one bulls eyes. She used a regulation army rifle. Miss Deane is credited with being the champion woman rifle shot of the United States.

Hickory
07-11-2015, 10:59 AM
I got partnered with a 17 year old girl once at Camp Perry. I beat her at 200 yds by a few points, but she smoked me at 600 and 1000 yds.

Ballistics in Scotland
07-11-2015, 11:01 AM
We've had them as well. I suspect that if they heard of the M4 and other weapons of its generation, they would naturally assume it to shoot flat to five or six miles at the very least, or perhaps forever.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/29806117

ohland
07-11-2015, 12:49 PM
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/29806117

KING'S PRIZE AT BISLEY
Woman Wins Highest Rifle Honour
The First Time in History
His Majesty's Congratulations
LONDON, July 19, 1930

The King's Prize, that most coveted honour in rifle shooting, has at last fallen to a woman. At Bisley to-day Miss Marjorie Foster, a former ambulance-driver in the Women's Legion during the war, won the third stage of the world's premier rifle competition with an aggregate of 280, thus gaining £250, the gold medal, and gold badge. This in itself is a remarkable achievement, being the first time in the history of the prize that a woman has won it. Added to the great Australian flight of Miss Amy Johnson, the victory of Miss Winifred Brown in the recent King's Cup air race against probably the finest airmen in the world, it also adds to the superb laurels that women have won in many spheres, and gives increasing lustre to their array of successes.

His Majesty the King telegraphed his congratulations and said that Miss Foster's feat would be universally acclaimed as a wonderful achievement. Miss Foster had an unprecedented reception, being carried shoulder high in the victor's, chair, while six cavalrymen cleared the way.

"I am a teetotaller, but to-day I think I shall have a glass of champagne," said Miss Foster, when invited to drink after the contest was over, and she had won against many of the Empire's best rifle shots.

UNPRECEDENTED RECEPTION.

Miss Foster is aged 33 years. . She served in the Women's Legion as an ambulance driver during the war. Her sturdy figure in rough tweeds and breeches, with close-cropped hair under a beret, is familiar at the annual display at Bisley, where she has competed for seven years. Intense excitement among the many chatting women watching her in the final shoot at 1,000 yards did not affect Miss Foster's imperturbability. She was similarly calm, puffing a cigarette, and waved her hand amid the terrific cheers when, after the shoot, in the famous King's prizeman's chair, she was carried shoulder-high round the camp. The band played "See the Conquering Hero Comes," with six cavalry- men clearing the way, and she enjoyed an unprecedented reception.

UNAWARE OF VICTORY.

Miss Foster said: "I did not know that it was such a close thing. I was merely having a comfortable afternoon's shoot, and did not know I had won until Lord Jellicoe came up and offered his congratulations.

Miss Foster scored 10 bulls at 1,000 yards, seven consecutively, the last shot being a bull. Lieutenant Eccles, of the Seaforth Highlanders, scored 279, and had a great chance of beating Miss Foster. He wanted a bull for his last shot, but scored an outer, giving him 66 against her 68.

Lieutenant Andrews, of Loudon, and Quartermaster Parker, of the Army Service Corps, tied for third place with 278.

THE KING'S MESSAGE.

The King telegraphed as follows:
I most heartily congratulate Miss Foster on winning my prize. That she should have done so is a wonderful achievement in the history of rifle shooting, and as such will be universally acclaimed.

Miss Foster was not permitted to go home to her chicken farm at Primley Green, riding her motor-cycle as usual. The Frimley Green fire engine turned out, and took her back in triumph on the tender.

SECOND STAGE SCORE.

Miss Foster yesterday made 48 at each range in the second stage, with an aggregate of 144, giving her fourth place in the competition.

Lieutenant Andrews was the winner of the silver medal with 147. Miss Foster, having completed her shoot, quietly slung her rifle on her shoulder and declared her intention of going back to Frimley Green for a good sleep.

[The King's Prize of £250, a gold medal, and gold badge is shot over three stages, the first of which consists of seven shots at 200, 500, and 600 yards, the best shot gaining the bronze medal. The second stage is at two ranges, 300 and 600 yards, 10 shots at each, for which the silver medal is awarded. The third stage comprises 10 shots at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards respectively. The prize was won last year by Colonel R. M. Blair, of the Canadian Seaforth Highlanders, with a score of 283.