PDA

View Full Version : Lee turret press 'sticking'

Jonesy
07-10-2015, 12:39 AM
I've got an old Lee turret press handed down from my dad that most likely outdates me. It works great but after a while the ram feels sticky, almost gritty when operating it. I've disassembled and cleaned it a few times which has always helped but it still comes back. Does everyone with this press have this issue? Has anyone tried oiling it or greasing it? I figured it would just catch more crud by greasing or oiling it so I haven't, but if someone's found a good remedy, please clue me in.

LoopSoosStroop
07-10-2015, 02:01 AM
Lee says somewhere in the brochures not to use lube on a Turret, but mine definitely needs some. Some Q-20 or other light oil on the turret where it turns inside the top mount, and most importantly, some grease at the bottom of the index rod where it turns on the press base.

Jonesy
07-10-2015, 02:16 AM
Thanks, I tried a drop of hoppe's on the indexing rod and it does help some, I'll probably just have to take it apart again and polish it up. It only gives me problems after a few thousand loads, I think dust from the old primers gets on the ram when they fall through and just build up over time.

I'm too lazy to dig out any grease I have, but hoppe's made a nice quick Band-Aid.

merlin101
07-10-2015, 04:21 AM
I always oil mine, I put a couple drop on the ram and other moving parts, cycle a couple times then wipe off the excess. Works for me.

LoopSoosStroop
07-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Thanks, I tried a drop of hoppe's on the indexing rod and it does help some, I'll probably just have to take it apart again and polish it up. It only gives me problems after a few thousand loads, I think dust from the old primers gets on the ram when they fall through and just build up over time.

I'm too lazy to dig out any grease I have, but hoppe's made a nice quick Band-Aid.

DON'T lube the sliding part of the rod itself. Only the bottom, right where it makes contact with the base. The plastic ratchet bushings that provides the indexing does not like lube and will strip. My experience.

tazman
07-10-2015, 10:36 PM
DON'T lube the sliding part of the rod itself. Only the bottom, right where it makes contact with the base. The plastic ratchet bushings that provides the indexing does not like lube and will strip. My experience.

Very true. I did this once and never again. The plastic will soften and stop working. It also gets dirty faster when oiled.

Jonesy
07-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Good to know about stripping the little ratcheting mechanism, I have lightly oiled the whole rod in the past, not gonna do that again now. I think most of my problem is having it in the garage where the back door stays open all day, I live in the desert so it gets a bit dusty around here. Thanks for the advice guys!