PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a pretty good load for my M&P

Cloudpeak
03-26-2008, 07:48 AM
I really could never get a cast bullet load "dialed in" for my M&P 9mm with the Lee TL 124 gr RN bullet. I did a bullet trade with John (garandgrus) and he sent some little Lee 105gr SWC bullets. Well, I loaded up this bullet behind various charges of W231 to test for group on the bench and then loaded up the finalist for some more testing offhand at 7 yards. The 3.7 grain load of W231 and this bullet seems to show some promise:-D I ordered the Lee 6 cavity mold for this bullet yesterday.

Next project: find out why I always have one "flyer" that ruins my group when shooting my M&P and the real puzzler---why I often shoot better groups offhand than from a bench. That doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Edit: darned if I know why I posted this in the wrong place?

Cloudpeak
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Targets/DSCN1573.jpg

Wayne Smith
03-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Cloud

Try shooting groups from each and every chamber. I'll bet you find your flyer!

Cloudpeak
03-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Cloud

Try shooting groups from each and every chamber. I'll bet you find your flyer!

I forgot. There are two "different" kind of M&P's. Mine's a 9mm semi-auto:-D

Cloudpeak

xtimberman
03-26-2008, 09:46 AM
I've read lots of stuff about about how to shoot an auto pistol from a rest and much of it is conflicting. Any contact with the frame on the rest usually creates a situation where recoil and slide cycling send erratic flyers. I prefer to comfortably place my hands on the rest rather than contact any part of the frame or slide to avoid this. Revolvers seem to not be so touchy and can be settled into a rest with good results.

Is the flyer the first shot? My 1911 will do that on a clean barrel every time.

xtm

Dale53
03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
When I was doing rather extensive testing with my 1911's on a Ransom Rest, I learned that it was important to foul the barrel (pretty much applies to all guns) and allow the pistol to operate the slide so that you imitate what happens when the pistol fires and cycles the slide. On the first shot, I have the slide locked open, hold the hammer to eliminate a possible slam fire, and drop the slide. I also found that you can create "accuracy from the rest" problems if you touch anything except the "return pistol ledge" when returning the pistol to firing postition.

This all points up that autos can be quite sensitive as to how you hold and how you rest them on sandbags, also.

Dale53

Cloudpeak
03-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the input xtm and Dale53.

I generally use the rest to support my wrists though I've tried several ways.

The flyer's can happen at any time. I've noticed flyers out of clean barrels so always shoot some "fouling shots" if I've cleaned the barrel.

Next project is to see how these bullets shoot out of the new, CZ Compact I have coming:-D

Cloudpeak

xtimberman
03-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Even at 7yds, that's good offhand shootin'. Ignoring the flyer, that's a 4-leaf clover!

xtm

Cloudpeak
03-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Even at 7yds, that's good offhand shootin'. Ignoring the flyer, that's a 4-leaf clover!

xtm

Thanks, xtm. That's the best group I've fired with a semi-auto of any caliber, I think. (I've only been shooting center fire semi autos for 3 years.) A little luck involved, too, I'd guess. I do most of my load development at 7 yards because that's the range we use at our local steel plate shoot.

I bought the 9mm M&P to shoot plates with so my lead supply would last longer. I shoot my 5" Springfield 1911 Loaded faster, better and more accurately than the M&P. I've got 2 1911's so didn't really want to buy a 9mm 1911. Probably should have. Maybe there's just too much difference in the trigger. I could shoot plates about the same if not better with my XD40SC than I can the M&P but sure like the ergonomics of the M&P more.

I shot a friend's CZ75 full size a few weeks ago and like how it shot. I also shot the Kadet 22 conversion on this gun. This was a bit more accurate for me than the Marvel conversion on my 1911. I sold the XD and the 22 conversion and ordered a CZ Compact. If the Compact works out, I'll may order the conversion although I think I can load 9mm's for about the same cost as 22's (If you figure my time isn't worth much which it isn't anymore:-D) With the little 105 grain bullets, my lead supply will last a looong time!

Cloudpeak

scrapcan
03-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Cloudpeak,

If that flier is from the first shot, try dropping the slide differently on the first round. If you ahd been doing the pull and release, try to use the slide release. I have a Springfield p9 that shows a tendency to shoot #1 differently, I have learned to ignore it as the plates generally don't care if you are a few inches off center.

Cloudpeak
03-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Cloudpeak,

If that flier is from the first shot, try dropping the slide differently on the first round. If you ahd been doing the pull and release, try to use the slide release. I have a Springfield p9 that shows a tendency to shoot #1 differently, I have learned to ignore it as the plates generally don't care if you are a few inches off center.

I think that was the first round out of that series of 5 but can't remember for sure. I need to pay more attention. You may be on to something. I don't have that trouble with my 45 1911s. So, it could be a "gun thing" with the M&P.

Thanks, Cloudpeak