PDA

View Full Version : Uniflow Cylinder Size & Consistency...

BCB
07-08-2015, 01:10 PM
I recently acquired a UPM MIC ADJUSTMENT SCREW for the small cylinder used with the Uniflow powder measurer…

I have been adjusting it and recording the setting for a dozen of the reloads that I use most often. This makes it quite simple to set the measurer to throw a given charge without much adjustments when powders are changed—all well and good…

If the small cylinder and the large cylinder can be set to throw 25 grains of a given powder, both would have the same volume, but the small one would have less diameter and greater depth to the cylinder than would the large one. Which cylinder might give the most consistency?

I am sure (?) that super light charges would work better in the small cylinder, but what about medium charges—the 20 grain example?...

I suspect that powder types—ball, flake, stick—would make a difference too…
(I have too much time on my hands!!!)

Thanks…BCB

MtGun44
07-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Test it and report.

Bill

country gent
07-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Powder type, techniuqe, solidness of mounting can all affect this. Alot has to do with how a certain powder flows and fills the chamber. Try pouring a small pile of stick powders and then flake powders then ball powders. Also take into account some of the diffrent coatings lubricity that are on the powders as this also will affect the filling of the chamber.

winelover
07-09-2015, 07:20 AM
I currently have the large size rotor in my Uniflow, mostly because I was using it in the past to throw rifle charges. When I got my Chargmaster, I pretty much retired it. Then I found out that I didn't care to use it for small powder charges of Bullseye. It never goes into the higher speed mode. Too lazy to change over to the small rotor, I tried it with 3.5 grains of Bullseye and it worked fine. Been using it ever since. Might mention that it also has the Micrometer adjusting screw, installed.

On another note, I also have two Hollywood Micrometer Powder measures that are also set for low charges of Bullseye and as far as I know they don't have a optional size rotor...both throw consistently.

Smokin7mm
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM
The small cylinder will have finer adjustments in powder weight as well as being able to throw lighter charges. Basicly for each turn of the screw you are changing less volume with the small cylinder. I have both and the large cylinder will not throw charges less than 5gr of Bullseye.
Bret

EDG
07-09-2015, 03:41 PM
I always use the smaller cylinder if it will throw the charge I need. It has a smaller cut off area and I think it is more uniform.

For many of my loads an even smaller cylinder would work better.

I have even considered making a cylinder liner out of teflon or UHMWPE to have the powder slide in with less friction.