PDA

View Full Version : Decisions . . decisions. Finally decided and pulled the trigger on a 9mm Shield

bedbugbilly
07-07-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty much a "revolver guy" . . . mainly 38s. I have been carrying a Smith Model 36 snub for CCW but lately, I've wanted to add a smaller 9mm semi-auto for several reasons. I wanted a few more rounds and the older I get, the more I like the idea of a quicker "reload" with a second magazine. My only semi auto is a Ruger SR9 that I've had for about 8 or 9 years. It's a nice pistol - shoots well and I have never had an issue with it. However, it is a double stack mag and I wanted something "slimmer" and a tad bit smaller.

So . . . I did my "research" and did my "reading" . . . and the more I did the more "up in the air" I got. There are a lot of good sub compacts out there. Today, I stopped in to the LGS I usually haunt and was able to look at and handle a number of 9mm sub-compact (my term for them) and check them out. The first was the 9mm Shield. I've heard a lot of good things from those that own them and I was pretty much settled on that, but I still wanted to check some others out. I took a look at one of the Springfield XDs and even a smaller Kimber if I remember correctly. The salesman asked me if I wanted to see the new Glock 43 as well. They had one that was waiting to be picked up - last one they had. I've never handled or shot a Glock - have seen a lot of them and know that you are either a "Glock person" or not a "Glock Person". I will admit I was pretty much "anti Glock" . . don't ask me why as I can't explain that.

I was very impressed with the Glock 43 however. It felt good in the hands and I was surprised at how much I did like it. Two things held me back though . . . the first was the unknown "delivery time" on it - they just didn't know how long the wait would be. The second was the rifling as far as "cast" - which is what I shoot. I know . . . a lot of folks shoot cast in Glocks but for my purposes, I just decided to not go that route. I will say though, that at some point I can see a Glock of some shape or form as I did like it.

In the end, I didn't like the grip safety on the Springfield - it felt good but wasn't for me. It was about $100 more than the Shield . . not a big difference but still didn't like the grip safety on it. The Kimber - very nice - somewhat pricey and it was smaller and didn't have a good feel in my hand. Each time I kept going back to the Shield.

So . . the Shield followed me home and I couldn't be happier. If it shoots as good as it feels, I'll be very pleased with it. Next step is to clean and lube it and get it ready to shoot. I even bought a box of 500 "store bought" bullets - coated lead - to try out in it. Normally I use the Lee 356-120 TC or the Lyman 358-242 121 gr. RN in my SR9. I have a couple hundred of each of those loaded up and I'll load a few of the store bought bullets to try as well.

The Shield looks like it will be a good fit for me and my needs - a few more in terms of capacity over the Smith 36 - thin and lightweight to carry. Now to get some range time and learn how she shoots! Kind of strange coming home with a plastic semi-auto instead of a good old SA or DA revolver . . but even an old dog can learn something new!

bdicki
07-07-2015, 06:33 PM
I have a 40 shield and the only complaint I have is loading the magazines, the springs seem overly strong.

Hickory
07-07-2015, 06:37 PM
S&W 9mm Shield, is that the one that goes bang when a cop draws it?
Or is that the M&P S&W?

bedbugbilly
07-07-2015, 08:21 PM
bdicki - I agree the magazine springs are stiff. A lot of folks use a "loader" with them. I read a post somewhere that a guy suggested loading the magazines and letting them sit for an extended time to take some of the stiffness out of them. He also suggested locking the slide back to put pressure on the recoil spring to take some of the stiffness out to that as well. Don't know what the results would be but I suppose a person could do it easy enough. Mine seems to rack just fine - on the stiff side but that should improve after 3 or 4 hundred rounds though it to help break it in. In talking with the salesman - I've purchased a number of handguns from him and he is a IDPA shooter himself - they've sold a lot o them and folks seem to like them. I think they are a good value and from what I'm reading, will eat just about anything you feed it.

Hickory - the Shield is a single stack mag sub-compact size M & P - available in either 9mm or 40. What you refer to is the "internet chatter" about the full size M & Ps used as service sidearms. I haven't read a whole lot but I'm guessing a lot of the mindless chatter about it is blown out of proportion . . . and probably if it is happening, a lot of it is "operator error". The Shield is a easy to CCW thin pistol . has been big seller for S & W and is highly regarded by those who have them and shoot them for the most part. The Shield comes with one 7 round and one 8 round magazine for the 9mm. The seven shot mag sits flush with the bottom of the grip - the eight has a mag extension on it to extend the grip further. Easy to break down and reassemble and at SD ranges . . . once you "learn the pistol" . . . they are plenty accurate enough to "do the job" if necessary. Not a "target model" by any means but they aren't intended to be.

bdicki
07-10-2015, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=bedbugbilly;3305852]bdicki - I agree the magazine springs are stiff. A lot of folks use a "loader" with them. I read a post somewhere that a guy suggested loading the magazines and letting them sit for an extended time to take some of the stiffness out of them. He also suggested locking the slide back to put pressure on the recoil spring to take some of the stiffness out to that as well. Don't know what the results would be but I suppose a person could do it easy enough. Mine seems to rack just fine - on the stiff side but that should improve after 3 or 4 hundred rounds though it to help break it in. In talking with the salesman - I've purchased a number of handguns from him and he is a IDPA shooter himself - they've sold a lot o them and folks seem to like them. I think they are a good value and from what I'm reading, will eat just about anything you feed it.

There is a YouTube video where the guy cuts 5 coils off of a 9mm mag spring and still had 2 pounds on an empty mag. This allowed him to add another cartridge to the mag making it a 8 shot vs 7. I ordered a few replacement springs from Wolfe and tried it on my 40. Much easier to load and still functions fine. Spring will most likely give out sooner. I also bought two spare mags so I'm not using the cut spring one when I carry that gun.

Schrag4
07-10-2015, 12:09 PM
You have and like the SR9, how about the SR9c? It takes the same mags. It's dimensionally very similar to the Glock43, except it's a tad wider, which might be a big turn-off. However, you get 10 rounds in the flush-fitting mag, plus 17 more if you carry a spare mag (it ships with those 2 mags and a grip adapter for the larger mag). I understand it's nice to have a very, very slim pistol, but I have a hard time coming to grips with the idea of only carrying 5 or 6 rounds in a mag.

Schrag4
07-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Sorry, reading is fundamental. I now realize you already bought the Shield. I hear good things about it, I'm sure you'll love it. I mainly pushed for the SR9c because I shoot mine a lot and I love it, and the fact that you already have mags for it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-10-2015, 12:35 PM
I have a 40 shield and the only complaint I have is loading the magazines, the springs seem overly strong.

everyone needs a Lula to load their mags makes loading mags so much less of a chore http://www.amazon.com/Maglula-UpLULA-Universal-Pistol-Magazine/dp/B001HBHNHE/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1436545977&sr=8-1&keywords=maglula+uplula+speed+loader

if your into single stacks they even have a single stack only version now although a bit sloppy the double stack lula loads singles fairly well

bedbugbilly
07-10-2015, 01:15 PM
As far as the SR9 and the SR9c . . . I have a SR9 - a great shooter. I do carry it once in a while based on where I'm going to be. By that I mean . . . we winter in AZ - about 40 mi. north of the border. If we are out and about on less traveled roads etc. - I carry the SR9 and spare mags. Basicy because if we broke down . . you never know "who" is coming along . . . 4 legged or 2 legged "coyotes".

Normally, I've carried a Model 36 snub . . . light weight but only 5 rounds. Reloading in a hurry? My hands are older and for me, it's now quicker to change out a mag than to use a speed-loader or drop pouch.

The Glock 43 and the Shield . . . when I put them side by side . . . are dimension wise, fairly close. What I was primarily looking for was the "thin profile" - thus the single stack.

When I got my SR9 a number of years ago, I did look at the SR9c - it too is a nice handgun but since I have the SR9, I kind of wanted something "different" and "thinner".

We'll see how the Shield works. I have heard very few complaints and a ton of praise of it. Before buying additional magazines for it, I want to try the shorter one and the extended one and get used to both. The extended mag does give a nice length to the grip but I'm not sure how well it will carry and not print the way I carry. Once I know how each work out, I'll probably pick up a couple more. I'll be making my own mag pouches so will probably make a single and a double to give me to options for carry.

I've heard of some cuteing the mag spring - haven't looked up the video yet but will. I've also heard about the "Lula". I see they have them on flea bay for around $28 or $29 or so. Nothing more frustrating than a stiff mag that's a pain to load! Thank goodness for the loader that came with the SR9!

I'm hoping to get a chance to try the Shield out this weekend. I got tied up with a couple of remodeling chores olus we've had so much rain this summer that when it finally stops, the grass needs a good "hair cut"!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-10-2015, 03:45 PM
I don't think there is anyone at league not running a Lula , we will get a new guy or gal join from time to time , show them how Lula works and they have one by the next match , Lula lets you load them almost as fast as you can unload them with the gun.

I know 25-30 dollars seems a bit steep but it is the best pistol mag loader going but it you load many mags they are such a convenience

bdicki
07-10-2015, 04:28 PM
everyone needs a Lula to load their mags makes loading mags so much less of a chore http://www.amazon.com/Maglula-UpLULA-Universal-Pistol-Magazine/dp/B001HBHNHE/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1436545977&sr=8-1&keywords=maglula+uplula+speed+loader

if your into single stacks they even have a single stack only version now although a bit sloppy the double stack lula loads singles fairly well
Just ordered one.

Tackleberry41
07-10-2015, 05:09 PM
I guess some just got used to loading mags without help. Closest to a loader I remember having were stripper clips in the military. Only mag loader I do have is for the long 32 rd sten mags. My glocks came with loaders, but never really found a need to use them. I always had issues with buying a loader as they tend to be somewhat gun specific. Next thing you have several of them to keep track of. Might buy a spring or 2 to try the trick of cutting coils for an extra round.

I looked at the various small 9s when I was in the market before settling on the Shield. The glock wasn't out yet, the Ruger was ok. Just preferred the shield. Been a very reliable gun. Took it apart, did a 25cent trigger job on it, modded the sear a little, very easy to shoot. They are not the most accurate thing, no where close to a target gun. But not what its made for. The 22 compact I got the other day is the same, just not very accurate. Barrel length or what, take your time and aim its just not going to group that well. But its also about half the weight and length of my Ruger 22/45.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-10-2015, 05:19 PM
thats the nice part about the lula , the same loader works for glock , ruger , smith , cz , walther , springfield , berretta, FN, any double stack mag that has shown up at league , some are more or less loose , it also works for LC9 single stack , smith M39 single stack , 1911 9mm and 45 , it is loose on the single stacks but if you push strait it works and what it does different than say the Glock factory loader is that it lest you push down and in and pushes the round form the back and helps it slide in

if you do a lot of single stacks they make the single stack version and I think a spacer to install for 1911 45 mags

bdicki
07-14-2015, 06:08 PM
thats the nice part about the lula , the same loader works for glock , ruger , smith , cz , walther , springfield , berretta, FN, any double stack mag that has shown up at league , some are more or less loose , it also works for LC9 single stack , smith M39 single stack , 1911 9mm and 45 , it is loose on the single stacks but if you push strait it works and what it does different than say the Glock factory loader is that it lest you push down and in and pushes the round form the back and helps it slide in

if you do a lot of single stacks they make the single stack version and I think a spacer to install for 1911 45 mags
Lula came today, holy **** I wish I knew about sooner. Thank you.

pjames32
07-14-2015, 06:57 PM
My wife has a .40 Shield and a Lula. She picked it out and bought it for when the Kimber Pro .45 is too big. She does not use the Lula for the .45.
PJ

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Lula came today, holy **** I wish I knew about sooner. Thank you.

that's about what a retired cop friend of mine said when I showed it to her

I got her again when I finally got her to try open type red dot on a pistol , she has eye issues and didn't think she could ever shoot pistol again decent.

Schrag4
07-15-2015, 12:29 PM
I've seen people struggle to load mags, and I know they'd benefit from a LULA, but I think it's mostly technique that can be learned. I don't think I'd save much time at all using a LULA vs cramming them with my thumbs. I will submit that if I'm shooting more than about 200 rounds then the pad on my thumb will thank me, otherwise I never notice.

Groo
07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Groo here
Got a 9mm shield to replace my Robaugh [ cant replace it if I loose it]
Sofar about 200 rds through it with an error.
I will do a trigger job soon.

sewerman68
07-15-2015, 08:39 PM
I have had a shield for about a year now. I love it. I tryed out several small 9s before a buddy let me shoot his shield and was hooked. It was the first one I could shoot as well as a full size pistol. I just recently had an Apex trigger and spring kit put in it. It shortened the reset and made the break a little more crisp. I like it so much I bought a second as a spare. The new one has a much better trigger than the older one.

I probably have around 2000 rounds through it at this point. No issues.

shoot-n-lead
07-15-2015, 09:59 PM
I am about to buy one for my daughter's first CCW.