PDA

View Full Version : mystery alloy

relic
07-06-2015, 06:26 PM
I bought a 165# of what looked like dross. It was really shiny and I thought oh, maybe tin. Well I melted and fluxed with bees wax and pine shavings and made a bunch of ingots. I sent 1 to Rotometals for analysis and here is the results. copper 4.65%
lead 0.656%
antimony 7.25%
bismuth 0.1%
tin 87.24%
So I treat it as tin when mixing with some pure lead but is the high antimony going to make me some grief?

jsizemore
07-06-2015, 07:59 PM
If your adding 2-5% of your mystery alloy to your lead it will be hardly noticeable.

JWT
07-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Looks like babbit bearing alloy. Prettey close to monel or grade 11.

scottfire1957
07-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Plug those numbers into the alloy calculator and play away.

JWT
07-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Just checked Rotometals prices. Your alloy looks to be about $20/lb.

bangerjim
07-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Agree......the free alloy calc is your "little friend"!

I would treat this as Sn and get the calc to use 2% then let all others fall where they will. It will tell you how much other Pb and Sb you may need to get to where you want your alloy mix to be.

bangerjim

RogerDat
07-12-2015, 09:43 AM
You have tin that unlike solder (with lead) you are able to add tin to melt without diluting the antimony because your tin has antimony and little lead. Oh and that copper is a nice bonus for making bullets "tougher" help keep a hunting bullet in one piece if it strikes a bone, copper is good for HP integrity.

Lloyd Smale
07-18-2015, 06:25 AM
yup, high speed babbit
Looks like babbit bearing alloy. Prettey close to monel or grade 11.

Budzilla 19
07-18-2015, 08:12 AM
I was gifted 50 pounds of high speed grade 11 Babbitt. Only difference is I'm lower in copper and a little higher in antimony. I now use it exclusively for tin addition to my melt.makes great looking boolits and the heat treated ones are hard as all git out! Im in the process of purchasing a hardness tester to be accurate in my reporting.you will like the results you get when using this for tin! Just my .02 cents. Good luck to you. Thanks to Banger Jim for identifying my gift for me. (Hey,Jim, how goes the printing press collection?)

And you scored a good thing!

bangerjim
07-18-2015, 11:08 AM
I was gifted 50 pounds of high speed grade 11 Babbitt. Only difference is I'm lower in copper and a little higher in antimony. I now use it exclusively for tin addition to my melt.makes great looking boolits and the heat treated ones are hard as all git out! Im in the process of purchasing a hardness tester to be accurate in my reporting.you will like the results you get when using this for tin! Just my .02 cents. Good luck to you. Thanks to Banger Jim for identifying my gift for me. (Hey,Jim, how goes the printing press collection?)

And you scored a good thing!

Just added a bunch of relatively modern print blocks with neat designs on them. Extremely hard type metal. No good to boolit casters as the make-up is ~40% Zn to keep the weight down. But they work great as designed......printing! And hot foil stamping.

Babbitt's are surprisingly plentiful out there. It is an old technology but still in common use in industry.. You just need to figure out which one you have. Ball & roller bearings have taken over most machines today