PDA

View Full Version : lube recommendation

kooz
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
I have just ordered a Star sizer w/heater and need some lube. I have been tumble-lubing with LLA and have never used a luber-sizer, so this is new ground for me. I shoot handgun bullets cast from WWs in the 800-1100fps range mostly and occasionally a few out of my .45 leverguns @ about 1500fps, I was thinking about ordering some BAC lube for my new sizer, from what I have been able to dig up using the search feature, this seems like a lube that would fit my purposes pretty good. Is this lube melted and then poured into the sizer ?

NuJudge
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Some people get their lube in sticks, or make it themselves and then form it into sticks. The sticks for Star lube machines are solid, the ones with a hole down the middle are for Lyman or RCBS.

I have a lot of NRA 50/50 lube I've bought in bulk. I melt it in the microwave in a coffee cup and pour it into the lube machine, be it Star or Lyman. One thing about the Star: do NOT fill it over the relief hole on the back, or you will have a LOT of lube spraying out the back when you insert the piston.

CDD

kooz
03-25-2008, 06:12 PM
NuJudge, thanks for the repy, can you give me an idea of how far the lube will go ? maybe a rough guestimate of how many rounds per pound, thanks

colbyjack
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
1000 maybe with a h&g 68 i use lars BAC lube -chris

357maximum
03-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Lars lube "B.A.C" should do anything you want to, and if you ask nicely he will likely make the sticks solid for you, seeing as how the holey sticks are more of a pain in the tookis to make. I highly recommend this hybrid beeswax/alox/carnauba lube, and the price is pretty hard to beat.

Michael

Dale53
03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
I am using LARS Red Carnauba lube in my STAR for all of my various pistols (haven't yet tried it in rifles but am confident it will work just fine).

Dale53

pdawg_shooter
03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
I use BAC on all my paper patches and I'm totally satisfied.

mtgrs737
03-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Lar's lube in any flavor will work just fine. I like BAC, you can figure 1000 pistol boolits per stick as a rule of thumb. Lar45s is a good guy to buy from, his ad is at the bottom of the page.

GrizzLeeBear
03-26-2008, 01:52 PM
+1 Lar's BAC is good stuff.

In a moderate to warm room you will not need the heater with BAC. I use it in a 450 w/o heater and it works fine. I have shot boolits over 2,000 fps with no leading using BAC.

wiljen
03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
If you enjoy tinkering - make Felix lube, if you'd rather just buy lube its hard to go wrong with Lars stuff.

Lloyd Smale
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
i usually recomend new casters use something simple. NRA 5050 whether it be javalina or the mix lars makes is a good lube that flows well in any temp. Nice thing is lars sells it for about half the price of javalina. I make my own. I fooled with lots of lubes. Kind of feel like a mad scientist sometimes. but ive got a bunch of alox and have been going right back to 5050 lately. Just a good old school lube that works.

kooz
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have a couple more questions.

-Is melting the lube and then pouring it in the machine the preferred method of loading the
machine ?

- Does anyone have a phone number to LARS ?

- Also, I would like to have bullets already lubed and ready to load on hand, would BAC or 50/50 be durable enough to put on bullets that were being piled up in a box 500 at a time ?

cbrick
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
NuJudge, thanks for the repy, can you give me an idea of how far the lube will go ? maybe a rough guestimate of how many rounds per pound, thanks

Would depend entirely on the boolits being lubed, number of grooves, depth of grooves, diameter of boolit? Some boolits carry over twice the lube as others.

dromia
03-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Link to his web site at the bottom of the page and here:

http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

You can email him from there or PM him here under Lar45:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=15

Lloyd Smale
03-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I melt mine in. I keeps air out of the resivour and that is a pain in the but.

Dale53
03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Melting works just fine. However, when using prepared sticks that fit your machine, Like Lars' White Label Lube, I just use the sticks as furnished. Much simpler than melting. I have not had problems from air in reservoir.

Dale53