PDA

View Full Version : Questions on .401 WSL (Outing, vol 76, May 1920)

ohland
07-06-2015, 09:02 AM
I do not suggest using the .401 WSL for Grizzly. Otherwise, the .401 is an interesting cartridge, a near Super Mag in length (1.500) with a rimless case.

Otherwise, another look at the times...

Outing, vol 76, No. pages 122-123, May 1920

https://books.google.com/books?id=u5dAAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA123&dq=401+winchester+short+range&hl=en&sa=X&ei=eXiaVfGLOcPZsAWx7YnwDQ&ved=0CEUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=401%20winchester%20short%20range&f=false

WINCHESTER SELF LOADING

Question—I am thinking of purchasing a self loading rifle, model
10-.401 caliber W'inchester and would ask you to advise me about it. Is this an accurate, powerful, and durable gun? What is the muzzle energy in foot pounds? Will the take-down become loose after a length of time? What kind of sights do you recommend? Is this rifle large enough to kill deer, moose, bears, etc? Is it an all around good hunting rifle?
E. N.

Answer—The Winchester self loading rifle is made of very good materials and is durable. Its take down mechanism will not wear loose, the barrel being permanently attached to the receiver. It is well adapted to the quick repeating sometimes required when animals are jumped in thick cover, but not to very accurate shooting with deliberate aim, as its trigger pull is bad. In other words, this is a highly specialized arm, good for what it was intended for, but it is not a good all-around weapon.

Its shooting qualities are governed, of course, by the ammunition, so far as power and accurate range are concerned. The best sights for this kind of gun are open ones, as is designed chiefly for quick shooting.

The .401 Winchester cartridge is a compromise between the desire for high power and the limitations imposed by a short shell and a stubby bullet. A high initial velocity is attained, with moderate powder charge, by using a short, light bullet. This gives also a high muzzle energy. But the shortness of the bullet, its light ness for the caliber, and its stunted nose, prevent it from over coming air resistance so well as bullets of better shape and greater sectional density; consequently its energy falls off very fast, as the ofiicial figures show.—-Muzzle energy, 2,037 ft. lbs.; remaining energy at 100 yards, 1,315 ft. lbs.; at 200 yards, 840 ft. lbs., with the 200-grain bullet. There is nothing gained by using the 250-grain bullet, within the gun’s accurate range. The ammunition is not accurate beyond 150 yards, and there is no way to improve it in this respect.

The .401 is a good rifle for hunting deer and black bear in a timbered region, such as all our big game country is in the East and South. It will give a good account of itself on moose; but I would prefer a more powerful gun for that purpose, such as a .405 or a .35 of the Winchester model 1895. Both of these are accurate at much longer distances than the .401.

ajjohns
07-15-2015, 01:26 PM
I wish this and the 351 were a little more common and the price a little lower. I always thought they would be a great woods gun, plus easy in and out of the pickup or guncase because of nothing like a bolt knob or such to catch on anything. Seeing pictures from many years past in my area they both were a pretty popular gun. As was the model 8 Remington.

richhodg66
07-15-2015, 05:32 PM
My brother gave me a 1907 a year or two back because he got fond of them and isn't the reloading geek I am. So I worked with it a bit and it's fun. Once you get the undersized .35 bullet figured out, it isn't hard to work with and it's definitely deer killing accurate to 100 yards (Mine was already drilled and tapped when I got it so I took advantage of it and put a Weaver K4 on it).

I found an old Ideal bullet mold for the .35 WSL which is plain based, but I got some plain based checks and a .352 sized and between a set of .38 Super dies and a set of .357 Magnum dies, reloading it wasn't hard. Brass is available.

I want a 1910 in .401 WSL one day. Bras would be harder to get, but the bullets would be easy, seems like any heavy bullet for the 10mm or .40 S&W would work.

Battis
07-15-2015, 06:38 PM
I have the .32, .35 and .351 Self Loaders. I recently bought a set of used RCBS .401 dies but haven't found a rifle yet. They and the .22 WSL seem to be the most expensive.

Mk42gunner
07-16-2015, 08:47 AM
I just happened upon a copy of Handloader's Digest, twelfth edition, (I spent a whole dollar on the book) that has an article about the .401 WSL by Holt Bodinson. In it he states that brass for the .401 can be made from .35 Remington by trimming, inside reaming and cleaning up the extractor groove.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it does give a way to get these old guns shooting again. For even more work, you could start with a .308 Win case.

Robert

cuzinbruce
07-16-2015, 09:16 AM
They are compact guns but heavy. Heavy due to a massive bolt in both. Bigger in the .401. They are straight blowback semi-autos. No locking mechanism, just the weight of the bolt. They do point well as the mass is between your hands. Tricky to take apart and put back together.

Battis
07-16-2015, 10:32 AM
I changed the bolt springs in the .35 & .351 (same spring for both. Wolf Springs has them).
They don't make ready-made replacement springs for the .401 or .32 that I know of...

richhodg66
07-16-2015, 01:32 PM
I just happened upon a copy of Handloader's Digest, twelfth edition, (I spent a whole dollar on the book) that has an article about the .401 WSL by Holt Bodinson. In it he states that brass for the .401 can be made from .35 Remington by trimming, inside reaming and cleaning up the extractor groove.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it does give a way to get these old guns shooting again. For even more work, you could start with a .308 Win case.

Robert

I had read somewhere that it can be made with 7.62x39 brass and a set of .41 Magnum dies. Sounded like an awful lot of work.

ohland
07-16-2015, 05:40 PM
I had read somewhere that it can be made with 7.62x39 brass and a set of .41 Magnum dies. Sounded like an awful lot of work.

Grab some 414 Super Mag from Starline (Graf or Midway have 50 round boxes). The case rim needs to be turned down, an extractor rim needs to be cut, amd the case trimmed from 1.60 to 1.50 long, but there you go.

GRUMPA
07-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Grab some 414 Super Mag from Starline (Graf or Midway have 50 round boxes). The case rim needs to be turned down, an extractor rim needs to be cut, amd the case trimmed from 1.60 to 1.50 long, but there you go.

That's how I do those.....

Mk42gunner
07-17-2015, 12:25 AM

With my luck I don't think I would ever get the case expanded evenly enough, or if I did the case mouth would be paper thin. Not to mention the 7.62x39's rim is a bit small for the .401.

I like ohland and Grumpa's idea of using .414 Supermag brass, it sounds a whole lot easier than doing all the trimming/ expanding/ reaming the other methods take. You have to realize also the article I quoted was in a book that is copywrited 1990 (if I still remember my Roman numerals correctly).

Robert

GRUMPA
07-17-2015, 08:55 AM
I have 2 threads on the 401 Winchester brass, 1 here in the VS section and 1 on GB. Those don't move like I thought they would with as hard as those are to find, but I do sell them a little here and a little there.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?260309-401WSL-Winchester-Brass

Something I found odd though is when I was looking for the rifle, which I would love to have if I could afford it. Seems the price for the most part for that really hard to find ammo......the higher the price for the rifle or whatever it is that uses it. I would have thought that if ammo was so expensive and hard to get folks would want to unload the rifle, boy was I wrong with that assumption.