PDA

View Full Version : Frankenmauser

muskeg13
07-06-2015, 03:55 AM
I acquired a few M98 actions to form the basis of winter project guns. Here's this year's creation: Frankenmauser. Just completed last night.

Brazilian M1908 action, Argentine M1909 barrel (re-chambered for .30-06) and a Czech VZ-24 stock

I'd originally thought to build a sporter with one of the M98 threaded sporter barrels I have on hand, but I snagged a M1909 Argentine barrel in fantastic shape for a very good price. I haven't shot it yet, but the headspace checks OK and it feeds fine. It's got a like new .311 bore, so I may have to load it separately from my other 30-06s. With cast boolits it should just be a matter of sizing correctly. I usually size to .311 anyway, but could use the .313 sizer for this one.

143797 143798 143799

RugerFan
07-06-2015, 04:12 AM
Looks like fun. Let us know how it shoots.

leebuilder
07-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Nice work. Hope it groups. I too have been collecting parts for a mauser project.
Half the fun is sourcing the parts.
Be well

Fishman
07-10-2015, 08:09 PM
That's a good looking gun you put together.

LAGS
07-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I never let my Take off parts go to waste.
I gave a friend a 1916 Spanish ,that was .308 with a Bad stock and headspace problems.
I sporterized the stock with a Birch nose cap, and rebarreled the action with a Small ring Thread barrel that I took off a Turkish Mauser in 8mm. The barrel had rust in the last 3" so I shortened it for the Carbine, and installed sights off a old rifle that had a shot out barrel.
He loves it, and shoots it about twice a month. It is still Dang accurate with Cast Boolits at 100 with open sights.
I drilled the receiver for weaver scope bases, but he doesnt like scopes.
I also made the trigger into a Roller Bearing adjustable trigger, which helps with the accuracy.
Ask "Armoredman" to post some pictures if he wants to.

303carbine
07-14-2015, 07:08 PM
I acquired a few M98 actions to form the basis of winter project guns. Here's this year's creation: Frankenmauser. Just completed last night.

Brazilian M1908 action, Argentine M1909 barrel (re-chambered for .30-06) and a Czech VZ-24 stock

I'd originally thought to build a sporter with one of the M98 threaded sporter barrels I have on hand, but I snagged a M1909 Argentine barrel in fantastic shape for a very good price. I haven't shot it yet, but the headspace checks OK and it feeds fine. It's got a like new .311 bore, so I may have to load it separately from my other 30-06s. With cast boolits it should just be a matter of sizing correctly. I usually size to .311 anyway, but could use the .313 sizer for this one.

143797 143798 143799

With a 311 bore, you can try the 311 diameter bullets made for the 303 British.
You could swap out the 308 expander plug for a 311

TCLouis
07-17-2015, 09:20 PM
LAGS
Care to share info on the roller bearing adjustable trigger?

LAGS
07-18-2015, 03:22 AM
I think it can be found in " Gunsmith Kinks Vol. 2 " page 358
I have been making them for years out of the standard trigger.
Two set screws, two lock nuts and a 1/4' ball bearing , some drills files, drill and tap, and a little time and you have one of the nicest triggers save going to a Timney or Boyds.
Sorry , but I can not post pictures.
But PM me an Email and I can send you pictures that way or forward you more info.
It isn't my design, but I started doing them long before Gunsmith Kinks published it in their books.

LAGS
07-18-2015, 01:31 PM
I looked at my Gunsmith Kinks 2 and realized that what they picture is only a Basic roller Ball trigger.
On the ones I make for my rifles, I also Braze a 6/32 nut to the front of the trigger, and drill and tap a stop screw that runs up thru the trigger return spring.
There is then the adjustment set screw and lock nut on the front of the trigger, and the other set screw and lock nut limits the overtravel.
I also change out the trigger return spring for a lighter on for the rifles that I use for target shooting at the range, but leave the original spring in the rifles I use for hunting, to prevent accidental discharges from rough use.
I also modify the original safety for a Two position operation or Low scope installation.

muskeg13
07-26-2015, 06:58 PM
It shoots better than I can aim. Two 1.5" groups shot at 50 yards using the military open sights with cast boolits. I had trouble getting a clear sight picture as the rear sight would go fuzzy...getting old I guess. I was zeroing by drifting the front sight, but ran out of ammo.

LAGS
08-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Good news guys,
I am finally able to post pictures on this site.
So give me a couple of days, and I will do a thread in Gunsmithing on the adjustable trigger modification for the mauser.

UBER7MM
08-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Good news guys,
I am finally able to post pictures on this site.
So give me a couple of days, and I will do a thread in Gunsmithing on the adjustable trigger modification for the mauser.

Lags,

Please do create that thread. I'd like to see how it's done.

Thank you in advance,

azrednek
08-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Lags,

Please do create that thread. I'd like to see how it's done.

Thank you in advance,

I'd like to see it also. Please post a link in this thread.

Years ago I had an 09 Argie re-chambered to 06. Using the then abundant US GI surplus ammo. It shot fine, well with in minute of deer with the under sized bullets. Think the Argie was the rifle I traded for a carburetor!!

LAGS
08-12-2015, 09:14 PM
The thread is posted.
And if the Argie was a 1909, you should have held out and traded it for a Fuel injection system, instead of a carburator

azrednek
08-13-2015, 12:57 AM
The thread is posted.
And if the Argie was a 1909, you should have held out and traded it for a Fuel injection system, instead of a carburator

The re-built 2-barrel carb I swapped for the Argie seemed like a good trade at the time.

Depending on how long and where you lived in Arizona. You might remember Del Re Surplus in Sunnyslope selling Argies starting at 19.99 in the late 60's.