PDA

View Full Version : 1903a3 question

Remiel
07-05-2015, 10:20 PM
Would it be worth it to build an 03a3 from this or am I chasing another pipe dream?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F11903RREM&name=Remington+1903A3+Stripped+Receiver+and+Bolt+A ction&search=1903

jugulater
07-05-2015, 11:03 PM
a complete restore would be expensive, and wouldn't hold value, but im sure a nice sporter could be made from that action.

im not really sure on parts availability for 1903 springfields so it may be possible to build one from the ground up.

im thinking this would be better suited as a replacement for a gun with a damaged receiver.

country gent
07-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Criterion makes the milatary countours for grands and I beleive springfields for the vintage matches the cmp dcm are putting on. So a new correct barrel is available. Finding the stocks trigger parts and all the little parts could be tricky and expensive.

Scharfschuetze
07-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Made this one from mostly free parts and a D&Td 03 action in 1990 or so. I shoot it routinely and save my more collectible ones for occasional use.

At one time 03 and 03A3 parts were getting thrown away by the bucket fulls and I availed myself to some of those parts with future projects like yours in mind. Looks like a fun project to me. I do note that the small 03 parts are now rather scarce at the local gun shows. I've got everything to do the same again and I guess I will one of these days.

michaelcj
07-06-2015, 10:10 AM
I know it is heresy among military collectors but………
I had an original Smith Corona 03-A3 action [only] and numerous other parts including an 03 bolt and couple of 03 triggerguard/magazine assemblies..
Ended up re-building the action with the 03 bolt and mag, rebarreled with a Douglas in 7x57, D&T for scope and a period Redfield receiver sight and barrel banded front ramp.
New Stock in the early Griffin and Howe style.
Classic sporter that shoots great and looks even better...

I know…. I know… "Bad Mike" but I am sure enjoying it.

Mike

Scharfschuetze
07-06-2015, 11:24 AM
I know…. I know… "Bad Mike" but I am sure enjoying it.

As well you should! Very few rifles look as good or are as fun to shoot as a Griffin and Howe style 03.

Char-Gar
07-06-2015, 11:41 AM
When I see something like that, the question that comes to my mind is, what happened to the rest of the rifle and why? Of course there is no answer and it could be a good receiver or a bad receiver. That is why I tend to shy away from project like that. I prefer to start with a bigger chuck of the rifle so I can know what is what.

Here is my last ( and final) 03A3 build, but I stated with an entire sporterized rifle. I discarded the wood and barrel and started from there, but I knew everything was solid. I built it as an NRA Sporter clone.

Wayne Smith
07-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Knowing almost nothing about them, I bought a '03A3 action in what was probably an old Herter's stock. Sold the stock, bought a C stock from CMP with CMP marking. I managed to find what I needed to finish it, actually a combination of '03 and '03A3 (stamped and cast) metal parts. This combination is valid because they were put together with whatever was available in the bins at the time. Since barrels are available, I would imagine it is doable. I'm not sure about finishing the bolt and sight, but that should be doable.

30calflash
07-06-2015, 01:24 PM
From what I've seen a lot of what is available now are from drill rifles. Barrels were plugged, boltface welded and magazine cutoffs tack welded so as to not disassemble.

So, they get pulled apart, new bolts installed and sold as an action. No barrel, no headspace/accuracy concerns. All on who barrels it.

A few guys are using them as projects or restorations but it isn't the same a solid somewhat original piece. I say somewhat as they were rebuilt at various times and parts were inspected/replaced as needed and the were put into service or storage.

If from a drill rifle you may have to have the receiver repaired by welding, where the cutoff was tacked. It usually shows up as a broken rough edge where it was dismantled. Doesn't harm the integrity I believe, just looks kind of crappy.

Then it's a matter of what you build with it. Could be a fun winter project.

dualsport
07-06-2015, 01:39 PM
I've been down that road. It's a fun project but not a real money saver by the time you're done.

michaelcj
07-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Wasn't about the money/value. Knew it was a solid action from where I obtained it….

I have a similarly styled 30-06 on a Mauser action

[The Classic American game cartridge on the Quintessential European action]

It was Symmetry that led me to…...

The Classic European game cartridge ( 7x57/275 Rigby) on the Quintessential American action.

I'm just weird that way.

Mike

lreed
07-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Hello,I've built four a3's in the past couple of years ,three of the actions were from Aim,I think the actions they sell are all reclaimed drill rifles,all were nice as far as looks and function.The bolts that came with the action appeared to be new. The hardware can be purchased from Sarco in kit form,most parts are Gi and the rest are new made,where I don't know. Stocks are where you find them,ebay,cmp forum ect. New Gi two groove barrels are getting pricey,but can be had new in wrapper for less than the Criterion. As far as building over buying,only if you can do the work yourself and can wait for deals on bits and parts. The rifles I put together shoot very well,look as good as any old 03a3 and I ain't ashamed of them one bit. Cost?under five hundred. Of course your mileage and opinions may vary. lreed

c

Remiel
07-07-2015, 08:29 PM
I have yet to see an complete 03a3 for under 700.00

W.R.Buchanan
07-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Here is my last ( and final) 03A3 build, but I stated with an entire sporterized rifle. I discarded the wood and barrel and started from there, but I knew everything was solid. I built it as an NRA Sporter clone.

Charles: is this the one?

Randy

Char-Gar
07-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Charles: is this the one?

Randy

Yes, that is it. I had trouble getting the pic up. I was approaching the max number allowed. I have now gone back and cleared out all the pics I have previously attached to threads.

CriterionBarrels
07-08-2015, 04:00 PM
I built a few 03A3's over the course of the last year or so. If you need help finding parts feel free to email me at contact@criterionbarrels.com. I have a few leads that might help that build project move along smoothly.

-Josh

William Yanda
07-08-2015, 04:06 PM
"I'm just weird that way."

But at least your symetrical.

missionary5155
07-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Greetings
Been a few years (about 5) since I went hunting another 03 but if you go to enough shows there will be someone walking about with a descent deal.
Another good outlet is the VFW or American Legion. Granted vets like to sell to vets but when a rifle is for sale those green bills waving in the air get attention.
Mike in Peru

gwpercle
07-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Several years ago...yes. Military parts removed to make sporter's were to easy to find and cheap.
I wanted to put mine back in military guise, and the least expensive stock I could find was $200.00! Of course the first thing you did in the 60's was remove the handguard and cut down the military stock. After that, you ordered a walnut sporter stock from Herter's...mines still in the Herter's stock .
Went to 4-5 gun shows and didn't find one used military stock for it...they used to have tables full of them....sadly all are gone!
Gary

Remiel
07-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Well Mike living in Ny means gun shows are overpriced and lacking, Josh, if i can convince the wife i may take you up on it