PDA

View Full Version : How many coyote's so far ?

Tenbender
07-05-2015, 09:34 PM
For myself 17. I do admit not with cast boolits though. I have not got into 224 boolits so far.

mart
07-05-2015, 10:29 PM
This year or career total?

Tenbender
07-06-2015, 03:40 PM
LOL This year. $50. bounty on the scutters here .

Rick Hodges
07-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Nice! More than you can get for fur here....
I like a 55gr. Sierra myself....does a nice job and not overly destructive. .223

Wolfer
07-06-2015, 04:52 PM
I also like the 55 gr Sierra SBT. I nearly always have a small exit wound without blowup. After I shot my old barrel out I replaced it with a 14" twist Shaw. It won't quite stabilize the long Sierras anymore. The last several coyotes I shot were with 50 gr V-max. These anchor dogs very well with good chest hits but don't seem as effective to me as the old Sierras did. My two Remington 223s have a 12" twist and stabilize the Sierras fine but I usually still carry my old savage. Together we've put a lot of coyotes on the ground over the years.

Ive shot several dogs with boolits. Mainly 30 cal with a few taken with 45 colt, 8mm and 7 mm Mauser. In my experience heavy even HP boolits at 1800fps don't anchor them very reliably unless good hits are made.
Coyotes are one of the hardest critters for me to consistently make good hits on.

They are certainly fun and challenging to hunt though. They make pulling a shot off at a deer almost boring.

fastdadio
07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
None for me...ever. I'm doing it wrong cuz, they're around. I usually carry my Traditions M/L. 1/20 twist, side lock, with home made 240gr boolits in a sabot. -3" groups at 100 yds. It aint the gun. And sometimes a MAK-90 in 7.62x39.

AZ-JIM
07-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Just one for me, sheer dumb luck. I've been out calling several times and only ever called in one then failed to pull the trigger. He was just a bit farther than I was comfortable using a shotgun on, which is ok with me (read: hunter ethics) The one I did get however came running up to the gut pile from my first deer within 20 minutes of dressing it. He never had a clue and dropped in his tracks with a 165g spbt from my 308.

az-jim

ThatFishGuy
07-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Just one for me and I wasn't even calling. Was taken with a boolit though, and my 2nd successful time out with cast. Will be going out again this weekend with my brother who's in from out of town, hopefully I can coax one or two in.

richhodg66
07-07-2015, 01:52 PM
I shot one a few years ago in the conduct of deer hunting with a muzzle loader. It was a .44 SWC in a sabot propelled by 70 grains of Hogdon 777. Nice clean .44 entry hole, softball sized exit (the range was very close, like 20 yards). While it wasn't going anywhere, the coyote snapped and thrashed until I had the rifle reloaded, at least a minute. Amazing how tough they are.

Have any of you guys used cast in .22 centerfires on them? I've been shooting some of the Lee Bators cast very soft using gas checks and about 6 grains of 2400 in the .22 Hornet. It's accurate at 50 yards, just wondered how it would work on something the size of a coyote. Seems like it ought to be at least the equal of a .22 WMR.

Smoke4320
07-07-2015, 02:58 PM
seems I get 2 or 3 almost every year deer hunting .. Mostly during muzzleloader season .. then later Dec

M-Tecs
07-07-2015, 08:56 PM
3 this year and over 200 total.

winchester85
07-07-2015, 09:47 PM
october 1 2014 through march 1 2015, 33
mostly 223 with 55gr v-max, but one with a 17AH.

quilbilly
07-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Just before NCBS I was out on the Nevada desert with an opportunity to get four at once from 50 feet. I had my shoulder holstered 32-20 and a camera. They were all puppies a few weeks old and just stood on the mound looking at me with those innocent eyes and continued playing. Thinking to myself "Oh Good Grief", I just started taking pics. Can I be forgiven? I'll be back. Just wish my wife had been there with the good camera and tripod for the money shot.

dk17hmr
07-12-2015, 11:05 PM
I hit one with my work truck a couple months ago....does that count? I leave them alone until we have snow on the ground unless I just happen to come across one that needs to be shot. Theres no bounty here so we are looking for good furs.

One predator I dont shoot that I see often (usually when I am at work) is fox. They are just to cool to watch.

Bad Water Bill
07-13-2015, 09:59 PM
AH Yes the red fox

My 90+ mom had a ditch behind her kitchen window.

One year a vixen made her den in the side of the ditch mom could watch.

No one will ever know the hours of pleasure mom had watching first the vixen going in and out of the den and later watching the pups bouncing around on the side of the ditch.

This happened 3 consecutive years and the vixen vanished.

And all of this within site of 2 churches and a cemetery.

Idaho Mule
07-15-2015, 12:45 AM
We don't have a bounty here so like others I hunt for the hide. Over all I have killed enough to fill a 5 yd dump truck I suppose. I did get 50 bucks for the first one I got last winter (woulda got more but he was head-shot). If I am only hunting coyotes I usually pack my Ruger 77/22mag. If I anticipate they will be beyond 150 yds I take my 25-06 loaded with 87 gr. soft points of some kind (left overs). A word of advice, one time I fancied the .300 Win. Mag as a varmint cartridge and loaded up some 130 gr. hollow points going about a zillion fps. I shot a coyote midship at 150 yds. in a bright clear field of fresh snow one morning just as the sun came up. The coyote fell in half and I painted 2 acres of pristine snow with green, red, and some in between colors. After I got home I pulled the rest of those bullets and never fired another one. NOTHING needs killed that bad. JW

Wolfer
07-15-2015, 07:16 PM
A couple years back I was hunting on a place that I felt might require some longer shooting than my 223 was suited for. I carried my 25-06 with 75 gr V-max pushed to the limit. These were extremely accurate in this gun.

I shot 4 coyotes and a bobcat there. One small entrance hole and two or three softball sized exit holes were the norm.

As to long shots. The farthest was 35 yds, the closest 7 yds. I went back to carrying my 223.

Digital Dan
07-15-2015, 07:54 PM
That's longer than I'd want to be shootin'!

Hey, what does a fella do with this?

Geezer in NH
07-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Uh post the pic on the internet?

MT Gianni
07-19-2015, 07:21 PM
That's longer than I'd want to be shootin'!

Hey, what does a fella do with this?

They taste better than most think. Soak is in milk and treat it as venison.

condor257
07-21-2015, 03:20 PM
My best season was 45 coyotes 5 bobcat, and 10 fox. I used a 22-250 at the time. I now shoot my airforce condor modified to shoot .257 cal, cast bullets, I have shot about two dozen coyotes with air rifles and cast bullets. I cant seem to load a picture of the last couple with the new bullet im casting. I am using a .257 cowboy 89 grain mold and it hits coyotes like a sledge hammer. My farthest with air is at 150 yards and dead in his tracks, at this distance I stick to headshots, and still get pass through performance even in bone like that.

mattd
07-21-2015, 11:03 PM
0. Can't bring myself to shoot a dog. Last year I killed 2 deer opening morning, and that evening a really golden coyote ran all over under my stand sniffing the blood trails and looking for the deer. watched him for 5 min at 30y and contemplated a shot. As I realized what he was up to, and that id never see another deer if he kept it up, I think i decided to take a shot. But by then he was behind brush.

The more I manage my place for deer, and put money and effort into it, the more I consider hunting them. but just don't see myself killing something and not eating it. Especially a dog. got plenty tho.

Anschutz
07-29-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm at zero right now. Have some 87gr V-Max loaded up but I've heard of lions, wolves, and bears out here in Colorado so I'll probably carry my Guide Gun when I go calling. Just in case a larger critter comes in that likes the taste of an easy rabbit. I have seen a few back home in Georgia. One with my bow and it caught me drawing, one snuck up behind me and my aunt while we were sitting on a log, and missed one on the run with my .243 NEF Carbine (18" Barrel from youth gun on adult stock open sighted). Out here I almost got one with an AAM 9.5" on my Dodge at night. Saw two that day so I think I may try calling here soon. Before I started carrying a rifle hunting, I saw my dad pop one with his .270, bad day for that yote.

HollowPoint
07-29-2015, 11:20 AM
I've taken more coyotes with my full sized Kimber .45 than all of my long guns combined. To state this in this manner makes it sound like I'm some kind of great coyote hunter. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It's just that most of these coyote kills were targets of opportunity and since I always carry my Kimber as my sidearm, it was quicker to bring up my .45 than it was to bring up my long guns, find them in the scope and pull the trigger.

It's so stinken hot right now in AZ that I haven't been out hunting anything. I can't wait till the weather cools down again. This year I'll be hunting suppressed with my 223 and my 30-303 Enfield shorty. I dream of the hunt.

HollowPoint

quilbilly
08-01-2015, 12:35 PM
This morning was the opening morning of bear season so it was a good time to try that inexpensive Primos digital Speakeasy call for the first time since it has a fawn distress sound. No bears to use my 30/30 with Lee 160 gr RNGC boolit but as I was getting ready to set up at my second call site, I saw three coyotes watching me from the logging road 100 yards away. Too late to hide so I set up anyway and started the remote operated call from my hiding spot. Those coyotes came back even though they had seen me before!!
Amazing! I got the lead dog from 30 yards. It barely acknowledged being hit because those boolits don't begin to expand or tumble until thy have gone at least 6". I like that Primos call.

Tenbender
08-01-2015, 01:53 PM
I see where some of you guys have killed bobcats and fox. That not allowed in Va. We do have a trapping season. Coyotes are year around. My total is 21 so far this season.

trapper9260
08-14-2015, 05:30 AM
I do better trapping them,coyote.But that is only for the season, there is no price on them here, just the fur.There is a year round hunting on them, but I have not got one yet that way.