PDA

View Full Version : Doctored Shells For Shooting Ills 1/2 (Recreation, Nov 1914)

ohland
07-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Another look at the period approach to reloading.

Recreation, vol 51, No. 5, Nov 1914, pages 271-273

https://books.google.com/books?id=DYA7AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA273&dq=38-55+bullet+mould&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DMiZVZqBPIrBtQWWlYvwBQ&ved=0CFcQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=38-55%20bullet%20mould&f=false

Doctored Shells For Shooting Ills

To find out what your gun, be it shotgun or rifle, will do with different loads and which is the load best suited to it, for each particular need, there is no way to get at the facts except to experiment, and none so good as to load your own ammunition and try it out

By Willam Monebak

IN the early fall when you took out the shotgun after its long I sleep, did you ever, Mr. Average Shooter, put a newspaper up on the fence, pace off forty yards, and blaze away at the paper to get the pattern of your gun? If you did, it may be that you were surprised at the result. The old gun was not doing as well as it had—or perhaps you were glad to see it was doing a great deal better than you thought it capable of. Then you tried it for penetration, on a soft pine board. Were you disgusted that Jim, who has a much cheaper gun than you have, one not so well made or finished, did better with his gun? That night after you crawled into bed you were thinking it over and perhaps it was the shells: for you weren't using the same load or make of shells as you were last year when you beat Jim and his old rattletrap gun all hollow.

And that is just the point. It certainly must have been the shells and the way they were loaded that made the difference. If you will take the trouble to experiment a little, you will discover many things about your gun in particular and guns in general that you did not suspect before. In the end, likely as not, you will save a good arm from being wrongly condemned, for a shortcoming arising out of the use of the wrong load. And this applies equally as well to rifles and rifle ammunition.

Of course we know that the way a shotgun barrel is shaped on the inside has a great deal to do with the pattern and penetration of a charge of shot fired from it, as has also the length of the barrel with reference to the choke at the muzzle. But in experimenting you will find that by changing the loads, you change the characteristics of your gun, so to speak. And by load we mean the kind of powder, both quality and quantity; the kind of wadding and the amount and material that it is made of, also the firmness with which it is packed on the powder; the size of the shot you use and the crimping of the shell. Furthermore, the material of which the shell is made, and the priming, make a difference, but the effect of change is not so noticeable in the former and in this article we will take it for granted that you will use a fair average shell and primer, to go properly with the powder you are using, for information concerning which you have but to consult the catalogues.

Before we go further let me say I am not an enemy of factory loaded ammunition; quite the contrary. It has been developed to the point of perfection for guns and rifles, speaking broadly of them as a class. But for the best results in some individual guns and to find out what your gun, be it shotgun or rifle, will do with different loads and which is the load best suited to it, for each particular need, there is no way to get at the facts except to experiment, and none so good as to load your own ammunition and try it out. There is, also, the item of expense. The cost of experimenting with factory-loaded ammunition is naturally bound to be much greater, as you must buy at least a b0x of every different load you wish to try. And again, if you are a heavy user of ammunition, the fact that your shooting costs you from a third to twice as much for the same shell loaded at the factory, as compared with the hand loaded product, may mean something to you.

A Deer Gun That Mended Its Ways

I first became interested in the difference that loads make in a gun when I started to experiment with a shotgun that I bought from a farmer in the mountains of New Hampshire. We were going deer shooting that day and with one or two others I was waiting outside the farmhouse for the last of the party to appear. When he came out he carried a little shotgun which he said belonged to his father and was the first gun he ever used. I looked it over. It had 22-inch barrels and was correspondingly short in the stock—a muzzle loader, percussion-cap gun, of course. But it was well made, bound in brass, and it could be taken down by unhooking a bar in the stock. The owner handed it to one of the men to shoot. When it was fired, the man who shot it was nearly knocked over, so great was the kick, and along with the cloud of black powder smoke came a great wad of green grass that had been used as “wadding”. No wonder it kicked.

I bought this gun for, I think, two dollars and a half. When I came to examine it more closely, I found the hall mark of a great English gun maker on it, and also the mark "13," which I believe was the gauge of the gun, as it was wide open bore (not merely cylinder) and a 12-gauge wad fitted very snugly. And that fall, with this relic I spent a great deal of time experimenting both for pattern and penetration, and also used it in the woods. For grouse shooting in thick cover before the leaves were off it was ideal, as it would spread perfectly all over the side of a house at twenty yards! But I admit I did have difficulty keeping the caps on—and it is slightly annoying to have the hammers go down without results when you are looking over your gun at a flying grouse. I found, however, such wide variation in the shooting of this gun with different wadding and different proportions of powder to shot, that it brought me to experimenting with modern shotguns—both pump action and double barreled. During that summer I am sure I wore out a good fence and ruined all the newspapers that came on the place taking patterns.

Pattern And Penetration

In shooting ducks, of course you want penetration; but you should not have so much powder in the charge that the gun throws a stringy or scraggly pattern. If you are not using enough shot in proportion to the charge of powder, you will find the pattern is wild, and moreover no two patterns with the same charge will run evenly. Too much shot will likewise give poor results. What you are looking for is the maximum of penetration with the most even and closest pattern you can get.

Again, in hunting woodcock, for instance, you are looking for something very different. Conditions in hunting ducks vary as widely from woodcock conditions as the birds themselves are different. In the latter hunting you have a bird that is tender and easily stopped. You needn’t care a whoop about penetration, but you must have a good big even pattern at a much shorter range.

The requirements of different shooters, even among those having guns of a like make and model, and the results obtained by using like loads, in such guns, vary so much that it is impracticable to give in this article any instructions, or even general rules, for loading. Besides, detailed instructions and valuable information are to be found in the handbooks of the manufacturers of loading tools. You will, of course, require a set of these tools, which are cheap and easy to handle. There are several good makes on the market, notably the Ideal, the Hunter and the B.G.I. I have used only the former, but have always found them to be relied on to give even results and likewise found the handbook published by the manufacturer valuable to have as a guide. It will give you a vast amount of technical information which of necessity cannot be included in a short article like this. As to the tools you buy, I would lay especial stress upon getting a good re-capper; for you will have many a miss-fire unless your primers are properly seated.

Then you will want several makes of powder (small cans of each), either the material for bullets or various sizes of chilled shot, and the necessary wads. In getting the latter be sure to provide several varieties, as the difference in the shooting depends a great deal on the wadding of the shell.

When you start the experimenting with your own pet and particular shotgun it will be best to commence with a certain factory loaded shell, taking this load and pattern as a basis of comparison as to the results. Also, it is best to keep but one item variable. I mean by this—experiment, say, with powders first. Keep the loads and shot quantities constant while you change the powder, all the while noting the results you are getting. Then you can keep the powder and shot the same while you shift the kinds of wadding and the amount, and so on. If you have never tried it you will find the different results surprising. Incidentally you will be so interested that if the neighbors don't object to your banging away, with your reloading tools handy for another try with a different load, you will be mighty lucky.

It does not take any great labor or intelligence to load shells or cartridges. Quite the contrary, it is a very satisfactory “something to do" of evenings, for it keeps your hands busy and you are thinking out schemes of one kind and another. And in the end, if you shoot much or really care for the sport, you need not be surprised to find that you much prefer your own shells, as you may discover that the particular load that you want cannot be had in a regular factory load. Not only that, you will find the reduced cost in your shell bill will be very well worth while, as not only is the initial cost for new material far less, but you can use the cases over several times without impairing their usefulness in the slightest degree. On paper shells alone that are saved and reloaded you will soon be enough ahead to buy a complete set of tools, even if you only use the shells once again; for those empty shells are worth close to one dollar per hundred to you if you are going to reload them, whereas in constantly using factory-loaded ammunition you must count them as so much lost. By that I mean the second loading will cost you about four dollars and eighty cents per case less than did the original case of shells. But when out hunting, when you save these shells do not put them in the same pocket with the loaded ones. I have painful recollections of digging out empties in searching for loaded shells while the dog was making supercanine efforts to hold his point.

Getting To Work

In your experimenting you will find that, given the same amount of powder in a shell, the kick varies directly with the amount of shot ahead of the powder. You can prove this easily to your own satisfaction if you will withdraw the shot from the shell and fill the cavity with wads. The “kick” will be practically unnoticeable; so if you have a gun that you don’t like on account of the excessive recoil, you can usually find a remedy in a load which gives satisfactory results without so much “comeback.” You may be surprised to find your prejudice was misplaced and it has been your ammunition that was at fault. Also, in shooting the gun without the shot, you may note that with a heavy charge of powder it is not all burnt up. That indicates there is incomplete combustion and a consequent waste of power, for of course only burnt powder can be considered as “exerted force."

Of course you know that some powders burn slower than others. Perhaps you will find your gun will not give the proper penetration to the shot, and all your increasing the charge of powder or lessening the quantity of shot does no good. Probably the answer is that your powder is not burning up completely in the barrel. In this case the answer is that you should use for that gun a different powder—one from which you can get quicker and thus complete combustion. This fault is more apt to be noticed in short-barreled guns than in long, as of course there is more chance for combustion in the latter, there being a longer period during which the gases are compressed. Let this sink in, if you shoot a short-barreled brush gun.

You know, of course, what nitro-glycerin is—and you know it is as near “liquid hell” as chemistry can get. Its properties are such that it is better forgotten. At any rate, it explodes with such suddenness that instead of following the line of least resistance, as does powder, it simply overlooks the fact that there is any resistance. Dynamite is only a milder form of glycerin compound, growing more mild as the per cent of glycerin decreases, and it is designated by this per cent. For several years I had an excellent chance to observe the effects of different varieties and makes of explosives in the granite quarries along the Atlantic coast and the different results obtained by using dynamite or black powder. It is on account of the uncontrollable suddenness of dynamite that you cannot use it in small arms ammunition, and not because of the old fallacy that dynamite explodes so that the greater force is exerted in the direction of the earth. Dynamite does not explode downward—its force is exerted equally in all directions; but the action is so rapid that no particular direction is taken and conditions under which it is generally used make it appear that it "explodes down.” Powder, on the other hand, is slower burning, exerting a gradual "push" instead of a sudden “kick,” as is the case with the glycerin compounds; but powders vary in the quickness of combustion very materially. You may have some difficulty in selecting the particular brand of powder best suited to your gun so that you will get the best results, but that does not detract from your reason for experimenting, rather increases it. So I advise trying all brands, of both the "dense" and “bulk" varieties, whether you favor any particular one or not. Only do not take any chances with smokeless powder—especially the dense, or nitro, brands—in an old-fashioned gun made only to shoot black powder. The word nitro is significant enough of what will happen if you do.

Some time ago, in a chemistry lecture, I watched a demonstration of the burning qualities of different powders, both American and imported. A number of brands were spread out on a table in thin parallel lines, the weight of powder being the same in each case. Then each line was ignited at the same moment. In every brand there was a difference in the speed of burning, in the color of the flame, in the amount of fumes, etc., depending on the materials and proportions from which the powder was made. While this experiment has little practical value for guns, it illustrates very well the vast difference in powders. Nor will any experiment with powders burned freely in the air prove much, as it is not assured that the same powders under pressure will exhibit the same characteristics—speed of burning, etc.

Smokeless powder was originated, of course, by substituting chemicals in black powder to take the place of charcoal, thus giving a powder that would give practically complete combustion. But since the first smokeless, there have been so many substitutions and changes in materials that there are now vast differences among the smokeless powders. Of one thing, however, you may be sure. To get the powder best suited to your own gun is the most important task you have.

And you will find that the same holds good for the rifle as for the shotgun, only it may not at first be quite so apparent to you from experiments—on account of your unsteady hand, you might mistakenly call it. Look you!

ohland
07-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Recreation, vol 51, No. 5, Nov 1914, pages 271-273

https://books.google.com/books?id=DYA7AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA273&dq=38-55+bullet+mould&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DMiZVZqBPIrBtQWWlYvwBQ&ved=0CFcQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=38-55%20bullet%20mould&f=false

Doctored Shells For Shooting Ills
By Willam Monebak

Whose Fault, Your’s, The Rifle's, Or The Ammunition’s?

Perhaps you- remember days when you couldn’t “hit the broad side of a barn.” If you had even whispered to anyone that it might have been the rifle and not your own nerves they would have said you were “making the usual excuse for bum shooting." But has it occurred to you that it may be the cartridges you are using in that rifle that give neither you nor the gun a chance to do your best? Everyone knows that guns have their individual peculiarities, especially-rifles. No two are ever found to shoot alike—no two shotguns, either, for that matter. It may be that the ammunition you use is not fitted for that particular rifle’s temperamental makeup. No doubt you know of such cases as jones buying a good rifle which he “just couldn’t do a thing with” and selling it to Smith for half what he paid for it. Smith “couldn’t see anything the matter with it. He never had any trouble with its shooting.” But no doubt if you will inquire you will find that one man was loading his own ammunition and one man was not. So if you have any similar trouble, just try a few experiments and you will soon find out what the trouble is—no doubt not with the rifle at all, but with the ammunition used. Work for a load which, while giving the penetration you want also gives you good groups on the target. You want consistent performance, uniform results; don't overlook that in your desire for smashing power, Mr. Hunter.

The further you go the more you will appreciate how large a part the ammunition used has in success and that it is not by any means altogether the make of the rifle that counts. And you will begin to note, when you sit around the club-house, the beginners arguing in terms of the rifle-makers: “Shall I take a Winchester or a Remington next fall?” while over in the far corner are a half dozen men who have “been there” and they are talking ammunition: “Do I take a .30-30 or a .303 next fall? And what load?" Of course in this, as in all else, there is a happy medium. But don’t ever imagine to settle rifle and rifle ammunition controversy through the knowledge you acquire. The more you learn the better will you realize that from the very nature of things controversy is inevitable and must be unending. And you'll understand "gun cranks."

There is one other thing you will appreciate after you get the hang of loading metallic ammunition. That is that you can use reduced charges. You will like this not so much on account of the lessened expense as because of different conditions that you can meet with pleasure. You may want to use a reduced charge in order to practice with your deer rifle in the back yard without searing to death the nervous old lady in the next block. Or it may be that you will try it on the rats in the alley, or go gunning for a fox with a .38-55, in which case you don't want to tear him all to pieces with a full H.V. charge. Perhaps you want to reduce the noise so that you can shoot partridges in the moose country without scaring every moose for miles by the noise of your full charge in the big rifle. All of these things are well worth considering, as well as the lessened expense and the satisfactory results obtained.

The Fit Of Bullets

In the matter of the arms themselves. it is a well-known fact that no two of the makers cut the same depth of rifling. The caliber of a rifle is the diameter of the bore before the grooves have been cut, and you will see from this that although the caliber of two different makes of rifles may be the same, the size bullet that will perfectly fit one will not fit the other, on account of different depth of grooves. This presents a problem which is a very large factor in getting the greatest efficiency out of the rifle; for if the bullet is too small for the barrel there is a resulting loss of gas, the force of which is not exerted on the bullet but around it; again, if the bullet is too large for the barrel there is loss of efficiency through excessive friction. Thus the best way to get a perfect fit for the barrel is to have a mould made for the particular kind of rifle you are using. The different moulds are stock among the loading-tool makers and you will have no difficulty there.

But remember!

Another big factor in the efficiency of the rifle is the twist of the rifling. This, of course, is expressed by one turn in a certain number of inches, as a means of comparison. For instance take the popular .30-30 rifle. No doubt many shooters think that there is little or no variation between the .30-30 rifles of different makes. This, however, is not correct. The .30-30 Winchester has- one turn of twist in the barrel in every 12 inches. The same rifle made by the Savage people has one turn in 11 inches. The Marlin has one in 10 inches, while the Remington has one turn in 9 inches. All for the .30-30. Thus with a variation of '25 per cent between the greatest and least twist, there certainly is a vast difference in the “strain” on the bullet as it starts in two different barrels, one with the extreme high and the other with the lowest twist. For this reason there should be some difference in the hardness of the bullets that are to be used in different rifles of the same caliber but different makes. This hardness is affected by the amount of tin used in proportion to the amount of lead—and it is you yourself, by making your own composition for the castings, who will make the best bullet for the particular rifle that you own. For the reason that the ammunition manufactured by the loading companies is turned out to be shot in any or all, and is a "happy medium."

Also, in loading your own rifle cartridges you will find that you will experiment with the weight of the bullet used, to get the best results, and likewise the amount of powder in proportion to this weight. On going into this you will find a vast and complicated field for you to explore—but once started, you will soon discover how really simple is the problem for your particular rifle after once you have got the hang of loading. And all the while you. are experimenting you are learning to know that rifle and what it will do, and are soon surprised to see how much better results you get. This, let us say, is in a measure from more efficiency from the rifle; but also it is from intelligent practice in shooting; and it is the combination of practice for you and new efficiency for the rifle that will bring you into the expert shot class. Then you will take a vast amount more pleasure in shooting than you ever did—and buying ammunition will not keep you broke either.

Be Careful !

There are a few important things to remember when you start loading your own shells. The first is that you are playing with dangerous material if you do not know what you are doing. You certainly should take to heart the instructions of manufacturers of loading tools and ammunition makers, as well as the makers of your gun. They know what they have found through long and sometimes bitter experience, and they give you the facts in their handbooks. If you will rigidly adhere to these until you know what liberties you may take with your own gun- you should have no difficulty. And another thing, remember that the measure or weight of two different powders does not mean that you will get equivalent results from the two. You can easily find tables of equivalent comparison in the handbooks referred to, and with these tables you are perfectly safe to make your experiments.

Finally, never be careless in loading shells—not only from the point of view of safety but also on account of results. If you must have perfect efficiency then you must give perfect attention to detail in the loading of each individual shell. Be painstaking, be methodical, and certainly the better scores at the target and results in the field will make this little extra “bother” well worth while. And do not be surprised to find that loading shells is, like tying artificial flies, a recreation in itself