PDA

View Full Version : The Lyman 452190 in 1917 Smith & Wesson

FAsmus
07-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Gentlemen;

I recently came into a S&W M1917 in 'as issued' but otherwise excellent shape: The action is as tight as the day it was made, the bore is nearly as nice, only showing where perhaps someone allowed a piece of foreign material to scratch it from the forcing cone to about and inch down the barrel. Otherwise it is sharp.

I don't have a proper round nose or wad-cutter bullet mold in 45 for this revolver so I got out my old Colt 45 mold, the mentioned 255 grain Lyman 452190. ~ As you fellows know, this is the old original design that Colt used way back there in 1873.. - modified for our modern bore size of 0.452.

I cast up a run of these bullets, measured them and found the mold dropped them at 0.4545 - somewhat big for the usual 45 ACP but I had an idea! I got out my small-hole gauge and measured the cylinder throats of the 1917 and found that they are 0.452 - except right where the chamber ends and the throat begins. There they are 0.455!

Well, we all know that the cylinder of a 1917 is WAY too long for the 45 ACP cartridge anyway, so, I decided to load these oversize, overly long bullets into the 45ACP cases as cast, no sizing, lubed only in a 0.458 die.

I then found that it wasn't necessary to size the cases either; the oversize bullets were a perfect press-fit into fired 45 ACP cases. All I had to do was de-prime, bell the case mouths slightly, re-prime and I was ready to go!

I charged a case with 3.8 grains 700X, seated a bullet to the first grease groove and tried to fit it into the chambers of the M1917. It fit a little snugly but gentle finger pressure seated the cartridge all the way in until I had a good feel as the case mouth hit the end of the chamber. I looked into the front of the cylinder and saw that there was no way that the bullet could ever exit the case and extend beyond the front of the cylinder - it was still way down in there where I knew that recoil alone would never be able to size the oversize bullet enough to move it through the 0.452 throat.

I could pull out the loaded round by simply inserting my finger nail under the rim - out it came! ~ I currently don't have any 'moon' clips - they are on back-order.

I loaded up 100 of these for initial testing and found to my dismay that they were so long that the usual 45 ACP cartridge box didn't even come close to closing when they were put into place! Over-all length of the cartridges as loaded is 1.425.

At the range this load did very well, shooting to the fixed sights and grouping into 6x1.500 at 10 yards from the crude, improvised rest.

Absolutely no signs of excess pressure were encountered at all. The fired cases punched out of the cylinders with my wooden dowel with no resistance at all.

I fired the 100 rounds and after inspecting the revolver I found - aside from lube smoke - that the barrel, forcing cone and cylinders were in perfect shape!

Wonderful stuff!

Good evening, Forrest

StrawHat
07-06-2015, 06:13 AM
Glad it is working out for you. I do not use the 452190 in the ACP revolvers but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Have at it and have fun.

As for moon clips, not sure from where you ordered, but these folks make them and are good people.

http://www.ranchproducts.com/aboutus.html

They do not have on line ordering so you need to call or write them. Good folks and good products.

Kevin

Tatume
07-06-2015, 06:39 AM
+1 on Ranch Products. Good folks and quality products.

dubber123
07-06-2015, 06:43 AM
452190, and 454190 have been one of the most consistently accurate .45 boolits I have used. I'm glad your old S&W likes them. Have fun!

Boogieman
07-06-2015, 11:51 PM
I've loaded the 454190 boolit sized .452 in a 1911 Colt Didn't have 45acp dies so I sized the cases in a 243 win, die and used 45Colt dies to expand and seat the boolits.

FAsmus
07-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Boogieman (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?15232-Boogieman)

Amazing things you tell me!

How much room was left for the powder?

Forrest

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

Outpost75
07-07-2015, 11:36 AM
I shot lots of the Remington 255-grain .45 Colt lead conicals in my S&W M1917, at 1.25" OAL with 4 grains of Bullseye and have found it a very pleasant and satisfactory load. These days I cast my own and use the same charge with the Accurate 45-245D which is designed for the .45 Auto Rim.

Boogieman
07-07-2015, 12:09 PM
Boogieman (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?15232-Boogieman)

Amazing things you tell me!

How much room was left for the powder?

Forrest

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png
I don't recall, this was 40 years ago. I used Unique powder & data for .455 Webely starting loads. This is what happens during long cold winter nights in the Northern Pa. backwoods

Outpost75
07-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Speer No. 13 had data for the 250-grain lead SWC in .45 Auto Rim. I used that as a basis in working up my loads. Stay below the max .45 ACP loads. The Auto Rim charges don't exceed 14,000 cup and are better suited for soft lead bullets. A charge of 5 grains of Unique will give approximately 700 fps from a 5-1/2" barrel with 0.008" cylinder gap as does 4 grains of Bullseye.

FAsmus
07-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Outpost75;

Ah! Your mention of the 0.008 gap reminds me that when I got this revolver the gap was around 0.004. ~ This was too little and it would jam the cylinder every few shots.

I spent some careful time with jeweler's files and a bearing scraper removing just enough material off the barrel shank to open the gap to 0.006 evenly all the way around the circumference. This worked perfectly.

As for the other in-put by members, thanks.

I use the pistol for "Falling Plate" shooting at about 10 yards so power/high performance is not an issue. My load of 3.8 grains 700X is a nice moderate combination for the shooting. ~ However, are there any suggestions for the heavy double-action pull or the stiffness of the hammer cock in single action shooting?

Good morning, Forrest

Outpost75
07-08-2015, 12:15 PM
.......~ However, are there any suggestions for the heavy double-action pull or the stiffness of the hammer cock in single action shooting? Forrest

Ed McGivern did his "fast and fancy" shooting with stock actions. I have handled his show guns in the NRA Museum. No light actions. He wanted them to WORK and go BANG!

FAsmus
07-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Outpost;

Thanks for the post.

I read "Fast & Fancy" too and these days of rust and corrosion in joints I think of those days when my grip could crush rocks! ~ This is no longer possible!

Good morning, Forrest